Anyone hear about a car going through the ice on Cooks Bay in Minnetonka?

• das_bass
    Mound, MN

My wife called today to tell me she got a post from a friend that they had seen a post about a car going through the ice in Cooks Bay on Lake Minnetonka. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Heard the car went through southeast of hardscrabble pt. Looks like there are some shallow areas there that may have opened up with the warm weather.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Here’s the story from the guy:

This is more of a notification to those who ice fish than a status update. Went out to Tonka last night, Cooks bay, a solid 15-16 inches of ice, drove out but didn’t drive home. SUV found a weak spot, ice was about an inch and a half thick.10 feet to the left 12″, 10 feet to the right and in front of me the same, 11-12″. If you look at the pictures you can see tire marks going right over it. Adrenaline had to be at an all time high. Front end broke through on passenger side and I gunned it, wedged the front end on some ice, airbags deployed, window wasn’t going down, sunroof wouldn’t open tried to punch threw it but it wasn’t breaking, got the driver window down enough to get my hands in and I yanked it down, threw my dog out and climbed onto the ice, ice was up to the door handles by then. Made it out with only a couple of scratches on my face and bruised knuckles. Cliche to say no ice is safe ice, but it’s true. Be safe out there. Middle of the lake, no pressure ridge, nothing to indicate it would be a problem. It was about 12 feet deep and took about a minute to hit bottom. Been driving on the ice since I could, always thought “could never happen to me, I’m careful. Maybe I should’ve just walked out.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Glad nobody was killed.

No such thing as safe ice.

castle-rock-clown

Well, he had to be going at least 25 mph for the bags to deploy when contacting a stationary object. How fast do you guys drive your trucks on the ice. Also do you unseatbelt yourself and have the windows down?

TripleA
    Blaine

Well, he had to be going at least 25 mph for the bags to deploy when contacting a stationary object. How fast do you guys drive your trucks on the ice. Also do you unseatbelt yourself and have the windows down?

meh. no reason to instigate. Just be happy everyones ok.

castle-rock-clown

Not intending to instigate, more interested in educate. Its after misfortune that people tend to pay more attention, and by that may learn something that may save their life.

Alex browne

must be a safety feature for extra floatation. . doah

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.