Anyone Fish the Banana River in Florida?

• IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

My FW & I are taking the kids to Cocoa Beach, Florida in middle of April for an 8 day stay. We will be staying right on the Banana River. Anyone have any info on tactics/gear for fishing there? I’ve never fished outside of MN. Yes, kayak would be nice, but I don’t think my FW and kids (10 & 12 years old) would excel at that (FW wife already shot it down because of Alligators roll ). We will most likely just be shore fishing from the dock at the house or the nearby park when we have downtime.

Also, I’ve done a little bit of research on charters down there. I’ve picked a couple out that I’ll be reaching out too. But, wondering if anyone here has any recommendations. Looking for more of an in-shore trip fishing the Indian or Banana Rivers.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Nick

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I haven’t researched it for years, but I think they used to have a algae problem and it is a no motorized zone?

I used fired up charters out of Canaveral. They have a few boats in the fleet, but not sure if they do inshore.

Your best bet is free lining a shrimp. Attach an appropriate size split shot if there is some current.

If your dock posts have barnacles, try pinning a small piece of shrimp next to it for sheepshead. You’ll want a long shanked hook with the split shot pinned next to the hook. If the water is clear enough you should be able to see the sheepshead hanging out around the pilings or rocks, but the dirtier the water, the easier they are to catch. I spent a couple hours chasing sheepes but the water was clear, making them shy. I swear they would look at the bait, then up at me and swim away.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Thanks, Pug.
    From my understanding, it is only non-motorized on the north end of the lagoon toward Cape Canaveral. I haven’t read anything about a recent Algae bloom, though. There are some recent fishing reports saying that the Speckled Sea Trout are really active right now along with some Black Drum & Red Fish mixed in and only getting better as the spring progresses. Sounds like the we’ll be arriving right about the time the first Tarpon start making their way in the lagoon to spawn as well. Heck, might even get one of those Snook that are everywhere these days!
    Hoping for a good time, we’ll be in the Thousand Islands area.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah like I said in the pm I am not remember the banana river correctly.

For sea trout try deeper areas, especially grass line with a shrimp under a popping cork. Trout really are attracted to the noise a popping cork makes when you pop it.

Seems a little early for tarpon. In Tampa they don’t start showing up until may. However the small canals and bodies of water on Merritt island should offer an opportunity to catch a juvenile tarpon. Still fun and still counts against the bucket list.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.