Anyone ever tried to make pickled polish sausages?

• jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Like the ones sold in grocery stores and have they turned out?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Oh ya. Good eats there but refrigerate them.

I bought commercial polish and simmered them long enough to be certain they were fully cooked, then allowed them to cool in that water. I made a simple dill pickle brine with a small amount of pickling spice but left the dill out and did not add onions although onions are perfectly fine if you want them. Let the brine cool. Take the sausage from the cooled cook water and cut into chunks as large as you want them and pack them loosely in clean canning jars, then fill with the brine leaving the spices in the brine. Put the jars in the refrigerator. I’d say about a week as a starting point for finished pickled sausage but it really will depend on how large you chunk up the meat. Also, don’t be afraid to add more/less pickling spice to the basic brine recipe as to your tastes. You can add some sugar to the basic brine if you need a little sweet to it.

I tried pickling bratwurst a time or two but have concluded that the high pork/fat content doesn’t allow them to make the grade. Polish have more beef/less fat and stand up to pickling real nice. Read the contents labels before you buy the sausage and chose those that list beef as the first ingredient. These will do you best.

These are good treats. I make three or four jars a year to munch on.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m almost positive I’ve had that Sanders Ring Bologna before and it was great stuff.

The home pickled Polish is great too. I usually cut mine in four pieces/link. Also, and I don’t know how I forgot this, a dried hot, red pepper or two can go into a quart jar of the pickles too for some zing. I break one in half and add half to the bottom and the other half at the top of a quart jar before adding the brine.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m almost positive I’ve had that Sanders Ring Bologna before and it was great stuff.

The home pickled Polish is great too. I usually cut mine in four pieces/link. Also, and I don’t know how I forgot this, a dried hot, red pepper or two can go into a quart jar of the pickles too for some zing. I break one in half and add half to the bottom and the other half at the top of a quart jar before adding the brine.

its called old age there buddy!!!!!!!!!! devil jester not sure i could muster eating pickled polish sausage, especially if its anything like pickled eggs, pigs feet or gizzards. crazy i add a thia chili pepper to my pickles aspargus and dill pickles for some zing!!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve never had, or even heard of this. Seems like ruining some perfectly good polish, but I’ll have to try it now!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I’ve currently got a couple jars of HB eggs and polish sausage sitting in a brine. I use a 80/20 ratio of vinegar to water. I add fresh garlic, onion, pickling spice, dill, either fresh or dried, couple pinches of red pepper flakes and sugar for my brine. After simmering, I add pickle juice and peppercini juice from jars I have sitting in the fridge.

The eggs are good and seasoned after about a week. The sausage takes longer to penetrate.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I grew up in Michigan and pickled ring bologna was normal food. It was made or sold everywhere. As parts of the family traveled or moved out of state we realized it was a Michigan thing. Been mail ordering ever since.
    Same with Drakes breading for the longest time but now you can get it nearby.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.