Anyone ever been to Dumbbell Lake near Isabella?

• Reef W

I was considering the possibility of combining some fishing with grouse hunting this fall and was looking at Dumbbell lake. The survey shows there are some walleyes in there, has anyone had much luck? How accessible is the lake? I see there is a DNR access but there are notes of some underwater rocks. How practical is it to put a fullsize 16′ boat in there; would that be OK or is more suited to smaller boats?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The lake isn’t all that big but you may be able to squeak a 16 in on the landing. It is rocky so if you’re thinking of wide open, think again. Its a nice bass lake. Northerns tend to be smallish. You can find walleye there too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Lots of muskies in there too. Probably not many 50″ class but one of the better musky lakes in the area. Walleyes can be found but I’ve never caught more than a couple. Lots and lots of bass.

I think you’ll be able to get a prett good size boat in there no problem. If I remember right, the ramp is pretty good for the area.

As Tom said, don’t go wide open. There are several shallow rock reefs that will come way up without warning. Check out the DNR map on the lake finder site. It should show you where the reefs are.

One of my favorite lakes in that area and Isabella one of my favorite places in general. Send me a pm if you need any other specific info about the area. I don’t like to broadcast too much about the smaller lakes due to the fact that the facilities are pretty limited up there.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you went up in the next week or so you could smell blueberries. hint, hint.

Reef W

Thanks guys, that’s exactly what I was wondering!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

FYI. I did notice that Dumbbell is on the Navionics app. Gives you a good idea where the reefs are.

Dakturf

I just came across this topic and its from almost three years ago. I am very familiar with the area. I have a question about a lake close by for biggill.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.