Anybody using the Marcum Pursuit HD L underwater camera?

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If so, I have a couple questions.
    (A) How long battery run time are you getting on average?
    (B) How long to recharge after a complete run down?
    (C) Can the camera be powered by an external USB source?
    (D) Can the camera be used while it is charging?

I contacted the help desk at Marcum and was told;
    Yes, you are able to use an external power source, you will need this adapter: https://marcumtech.com/product/universal-sonar-12-v-power-adapter/

I don’t see how this cord will fit the USB port on the Pursuit HD L camera.

Attachments:
    1. marcumcord.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

My dad bought one this fall. First time using it, the lights didn’t work. Halfway through the morning, blue screen. It was returned for an Aqua-Vu. My Recon 5+ is the same, unreliable as he11.

Wish I could answer your questions, but it wasn’t owned long enough.

mojo

I criticized Marcum last season for the pi$$ poor design/quality of the Pursuit. Huge waste of money.

The reason it’s designed to be compact is so that it can be used for hole hopping and portability, that’s what I needed it for. Yet the screen brightness is so dim that it is virtually unusable in daylight, so you will not be able to see what’s on the screen while hole hopping. It’s fine inside a shelter, but then the screen is too small to be a dedicated indoor camera, and it doesn’t have a base. So it’s exactly wrong for both outdoor use and for indoor use. And for what it costs, it should be at LEAST visible to use outdoors in daylight – my BIL has a Chinese underwater camera from Amazon that was very cheap that is actually easier to see.

The one thing it does well is the camera takes good pics/video if water clarity and lighting is good. So I have to record a video and take it home to view the video on a decent screen, in order to see how the fish were reacting to my presentations. Not at all helpful to catch fish if I can’t view it while on the ice.
    Also, the compass and depth only works intermittently, which is important to know so you are aware which direction the camera is pointing. Re-calibrating the compass gets it working, but I don’t want to go through that procedure while I’m fishing.

I contacted Marcum multiple times (it took many many emails and phone calls to finally get a response), they finally had me send it in under warranty and claimed to have fixed the compass, but it still only worked intermittently, oftentimes I had to do a re-calibration after moving from one hole to another. They do not give a $hit about customer service. Do some online research about Marcum customer service before buying their products. I wish I would have.

By far, the biggest disappointment in my many decades of fishing.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

marcum seems to be fading fast. I won’t buy any new marcum products, that’s for sure.

404 ERROR
    MN

and it doesn’t have a base.

Also, the compass and depth only works intermittently, which is important to know so you are aware which direction the camera is pointing. Re-calibrating the compass gets it working, but I don’t want to go through that procedure while I’m fishing.

FWIW, there’s a 1/4-20 insert on the back to screw a mount onto, at least on the Recon 5. Problem is the cord and “wrist-strap” is in the way…

My compass has never worked right and it’s been to Marcum twice.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I contacted Marcum multiple times (it took many many emails and phone calls to finally get a response), they finally had me send it in under warranty and claimed to have fixed the compass, but it still only worked intermittently, oftentimes I had to do a re-calibration after moving from one hole to another. They do not give a $hit about customer service. Do some online research about Marcum customer service before buying their products. I wish I would have.

That sucks man, I had a much different experience with Marcum this last year. I thought they were great. Sorry you had a bad time with them

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

That sucks man, I had a much different experience with Marcum this last year. I thought they were great. Sorry you had a bad time with them

Please tell us more. Which Marcum camera do you have and what was the issue?

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Dirty wrote:</div>

Please tell us more. Which Marcum camera do you have and what was the issue?

It was actually for a flasher. I had an old vx-1 that had a transducer that was starting to go out. Marcum doesn’t make replacement ducers for that model anymore so they took the head unit and ducer from me. In return they gave me 35% off a new unit.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

It appears there may not be many users out there of this product. I did re-submit these questions in an email reply to Marcum. I also asked them specifically if the suggested cable was correct for the Pursuit camera.

As yet, I have not received any further response from Marcum customer service.

milemark_714

That cable pictured is for the line of sonars.The one for the Pursuit is a USB cable(included with camera),which you will need one of those USB car adapters.
    Battery life on the unit is not bad,the lowest I ran mine was 50%,and not sure how long it took to fully recharge.
    You can run it from an external USB power source,I used my shuttle and the camera does operate.I think it charges when the unit is powered off.

Like the others said,the sunlight viewing really sucks,works well on cloudy days or in a shelter.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

You can run it from an external USB power source,I used my shuttle and the camera does operate.I think it charges when the unit is powered off.
    Like the others said,the sunlight viewing really sucks,works well on cloudy days or in a shelter.

Thanks for your input.
    The poor screen view is disappointing to hear about.
    I knew the camera unit came with a USB charging cord, just didn’t know if it only charged the battery or if it could also be used to power the unit. I was hoping to use a power box for when I was stationary inside a shelter and use the internal battery when out hole hopping/searching.

Still have not received a 2nd response from Marcum, that in itself is disappointing.

mojo

Still have not received a 2nd response from Marcum, that in itself is disappointing.

Take that as a sign.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Ive been using the MarCum
    PanCam.

Thanks, Several mixed reviews on that discontinued model. I have an older Marcum but was looking to update to the Pursuit model, depending on the feedback I might gather from actual users.

kayl

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AlligatorDundee wrote:</div>
    Ive been using the MarCum
    PanCam.

Thanks, Several mixed reviews on that discontinued model. I have an older Marcum but was looking to update to the Pursuit model, depending on the feedback I might gather from actual users.

I have an Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro, but if I were looking to upgrade, the Pursuit would be my choice for a small cam. Nick Linder has a lot of videos on Youtube with it and the image quality is awesome!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

the Pursuit would be my choice for a small cam. Nick Linder has a lot of videos on Youtube with it and the image quality is awesome!

Do you have a link to a specific video? The one’s I checked listed an Aquaview as the camera used in those videos.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.