Anybody else with Cedar trees lose branches this winter?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Just wondering if this winter was worse than others for Cedar trees holding snow (I’m pretty sure I know the answer) Just curious if others with Cedar trees had issues losing branches from what looks like too much snow load? My lake property up north had major damage on pretty much all of my 75+ year old Cedar trees and ONLY on the Cedar trees (makes me wonder how they survived the first 75+ years)

was it a combination of their older age and the massive snow load we had this year? One tree was split all the way down the middle, the rest all had multiple large branches snap off…all other trees around them (Oak, Maple, Pine) had no damage…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Nothing here, but mine are decently sheltered and don’t get wind blown snow piled on them.

I did have a few white pines lose big branches from heavy snow then wind.

queenswake
    NULL

I and my neighbors in the suburbs here had a lot of loss out of our evergreens. We seemed to lose the most after the last heavy snow. I, too, have been wondering what caused so much carnage this year. We’ve had heavy, wet snows before.

ThunderLund78

Deadfall in general is up this year in my area, was in the woods all weekend more freshly downed limbs and dead trees than I’ve seen in a while. Mother Nature recycling company!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might have something to do with the dry summer before the heavy snow.

Red Wing is losing trees from Emerald Ash Bore this spring. A lot of them!

“EMERALD ASH BORER (EAB)
    Protecting Red Wing’s Tree Canopy
    Crisis-Level Situation

Red Wing’s tree canopy is in imminent danger. Due to Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), an invasive insect that infests and ultimately kills ash trees, the majority of ash trees in Red Wing will die in the next six years. While it is too late to stop EAB in its tracks, it’s not too late to take action to protect the vibrancy of the tree canopy throughout the city.”

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^I cut 7 ash out of the tree line behind our house when building that were dead, and I’ve got probably at least that many to go. Once they start, they go fast.

A neighboring community packed their boulevards with ash trees everywhere they could ~20-30 years ago (as did many towns). Now they’re forcing each homeowner to foot the bill for cutting them all down when they did not plant them or ask for them to be planted. Small town governments are not immune from stupidity.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I also noticed the Woodpecker damage was the worst I’ve ever seen it this winter…

Charles

Nope my maple trees snapped a ton of branches.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Lots of pines lost a lot of branches and tops in the Mille Lacs area… this winter was really hard with the clinging snow in large amounts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.