Anybody constructed a roll-in dock

• mojo

Do you use 1 1/2″ EMT conduit for axles and upright posts? I’ll be using the plastic dock wheels. I already have the steel frame and cedar decking.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Jason

grin EMT is for electricians, schedule 40 pipe is for docks.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just know that depending on how deep your pipes are set, they can easily kink and bend when pulling the dock out in the fall if you have a soft lake bottom…I’d go with thick galvanized pipes for the verticals, especially with a heavy steel frame dock and install some 45 degree support pipes for the deep end. I’d also install some cross chains at the end to reduce side-to-side motion.. Plastic dock wheels are the only way to go, Floe makes a good plastic wheel…

tornadochaser

Don’t use EMT conduit for anything other than wiring, or maybe staking tomatoes.

galvanized rigid metallic conduit or galvanized iron pipe.

stevenoak

I fished the Glacial Lakes in S.D. in the 90’s when they were fairly new. Lots of farm property flooded. Locals used old hay elevators. With round and big square bales, old elevators were everywhere. With the gravel bottom and bank drop. When backed in they came out about level. If the bottom was soft, they put down a couple cattle panels. Easy peazy.

mojo

I guess I’m going with steel pipe then. Do it right the first time.

When I look at the total cost, the price difference isn’t really much. And it would certainly cost more if I have to replace damaged parts later.

One time, I made a roll-in/floating dock combination. I put a 16 foot section of 3′ dock on top of the bunks on an old boat trailer, and rolled it in the water and tied it to an old anchored pontoon boat with a very questionable floor – it was safe as long as you were careful where you step jester

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.