Anybody calling in any yotes or predators?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Anybody been out and doing any calling? Any good stories or pics to share?

I tried a little suburban calling with the bow in a location that shall remain anonymous. Lots of tracks and the residents have had lots of close encounters with coyotes, but I don’t think there is the holding cover there so the coyotes are “on the move” when they are seen. Would be fun to whack one with the bow, the setup was perfect as I was hiding inside a garden shed with the sliding doors open a foot or so. Ol’ coyote would never have seen it coming, so I’ll have to try that spot again.

Will probably go out later this week with the big guns and do some calling before the snow gets too deep. See if I can get something done.

Grouse

Brad Dimond

It’s a fun game. I wish we could whack them in Richfield, there are several wandering the neighborhood. I mess with them using a turkey call, seems to get their attention. I am sure squeakers and other calls would work, just had a turkey call in the vehicle when I saw a yote wandering the yards.

More common for us it to head west to Wright and Stearns counties. Lots of them out there along with fox.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s a fun game. I wish we could whack them in Richfield…

Of course, technically speaking, you can’t whack coyotes in Richfield… whistling

On a completely unrelated note and apropos of nothing, modern compound bows are awfully dang quiet.

As with everything these days, predator calling has gotten massively overcomplicated by the hunting industry media. You don’t need a $500 e caller and decoys and crazy critters and and and. I called for years with a couple of mouth calls I picked up at a garage sale and what do you know, they worked. Then when there were used Foxpro calls on eBay, I got one for $75 and I’ve been using it ever since. If the coyotes are within hearing range, IMO they’ll come. The key to me is to avoid educating them because once bitten they are 500X shy and they become virtually impossible to call again.

I bet a $10 Johnny Stewart mouth call would have those urban yotes coming right in. Throw a piece of fake fur on the ground to give them something to look at and, well, of course, you wouldn’t be able to shoot them, but you sure can mess with them.

Grouse

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I am luving it used to have a bunch of Yotes around here neighbor decided to make war on them, after finding what was left of a few Fawns around a den area. He was way successful barely hear any yotes, once in a Blue Moon I will hear one, don`t miss them one bit. Maybe our Fox will make a come back as we had a few pairs of Red and Grays around.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Used to be good hunting 20yrs ago till the e-callers started coming out, now they are really cheap. The yotes get educated really fast specially when guys just sit on the road and call from trucks. So then we started hunting full moons well people caught on to that now as well. So the next thing is buy a 2000.00 thermal and hunt the dark nights, be ok if the fur was worth anything and you could pay it off in a season. I use hand calls have the old fox pro which is small but anymore that’s still too much to carry. LOL

tornadochaser

I hunted a few sets with a buddy when I was back home for christmas.
    Missed one with the shotgun. Buddy tagged it with the .224 valk.

Thermal is a game changer. Got to play around with my buddy’s setup one night, unfortunately both yotes that came in hung up on property we cannot shoot onto.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Used to be good hunting 20yrs ago till the e-callers started coming out, now they are really cheap. The yotes get educated really fast especially when guys just sit on the road and call from trucks.

Yes, I had the same experience, it seemed like about 10 years ago suddenly all the predator shows hit the air and everybody bought an eCall and was suddenly a predator hunter. I know a couple of guys in SE MN who just outright quit because road callers down there were just a plague and within a month every fox and coyote was basically call proof.

I always walk at least a quarter-mile off the road and I think the biggest thing is to start the calling sequence at very low volume. I think people WAY underestimate how LOUD and therefore probably suspicious an eCall sounds to a predator that has vastly better hearing than we do.

I hunt on the assumption that after sitting down, the coyote could be anywhere from 200 yards away to a mile away. Several times I have had coyotes come roaring in just seconds after I started the call, so in my estimate, they were less than 200 yards away when they first heard me, so at that distance, they probably would have heard just lip squeaking.

I had a fantastic fail on a pair of coyotes that came running in about 20 seconds after I started to call. Definately taught me to be ready before I hit the button on the call.

Grouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.