Any wrestling parents in here?

• Stanley

Would be interesting to see if we have any wrestling parents here and what schools they wrestle for. I have 2 boys that wrestle for Royalton, one is a freshman and the other 6th grade. This is their 4th year wrestling. Practice stated last week for high school and we did our first open tournament yesterday for youth. It was nice getting back to the swing of things on the youth side following last years shutdown. Youngest ended up getting first yesterday which was a good way to start the season waytogo

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not a parent of a Wrestler, But wrestled myself in High School and Jr. college. I Wrestled for Staples back during the time that they Dominated Class A Wrestling. I was on Two State Championship Teams and qualified for State in individuals my Sr. year. Wrestling was a great sport. Other than the weight cutting I have nothing bad to say about it. Hope both of your kids have a successful and fun season.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My son wrestles for north branch and I coach. He is 5th grade but wrestles 6th grades typically due to his size. He is very tall 10 year old. Try to keep weight under 125 but he will weigh in up to 130.

Tried getting girlfriends daughter in to it, but she only wants to wrestle at home. I guess gymnastics is funner so she says

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My son wrestles for north branch and I coach. He is 5th grade but wrestles 6th grades typically due to his size. He is very tall 10 year old. Try to keep weight under 125 but he will weigh in up to 130.

He’s 10 and weighs 125-130. He must be a tall 10 year old. I Wrestled 119 my Sr. year but could have Wrestled 112.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

wrestling parent – retired. My daughter Olivia wrestled through highschool. It was a very intriguing experience. Girl – 135-140 class. She was treated like crap, coaches thought it was a joke, parents were rude and many strongly disagreed about her wrestling guys. She w3as first to practice, last to leave, weight lifting and running in addition to her practice schedule.

After a few weeks, a few of the guys started to rally around her. few weeks later coaches started to show her some respect. Parents, well….they were parents. By the end of her first year the entire team rallied around her, coaches praised her work ethic, and most of the parents erupted and cheered her on when she took the mat. 100% all earned by her determination to do the best that she could do. She knew she was well out gunned by most guys upper body strength. Don’t know she ever went up against a guy that had equal leg strength as her. She lost quite a few matches by points, but only a few were able to pin her. Mutual goal of her’s and the coaches – never lose by pin. If the guy was going to win, he had to take her the distance.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Girls Wrestling has come a long ways in the last 10 or so years. It was fun to watch how good the girls were at the last Olympics.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

He’s 10 and weighs 125-130. He must be a tall 10 year old. I Wrestled 119 my Sr. year but could have Wrestled 112.

He is 5’9. Tall and skinny. He gets wrapped up in giant pretzels lol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

He is 5’9. Tall and skinny. He gets wrapped up in giant pretzels lol

5’9 as a 10 year old. That’s going to be a tall kid !!!!

Stanley

My 6th grader (he is 11) weighed in at 76.5 yesterday and wrestled 75 last year lol. He wrestled up a grade a few times as a 4th grader. Earned 4 Albany state qualifiers as a 4th grader and 2 in the 5th grade brackets but no nywa that year as it was cut short. That year he went 37 and 27. With 25 pins and only being pinned 5 times. Last year was an off year for him but we still got some mat time.

As far as girls go we have no issue with them wrestling boys and know quite a few that wrestle and have wrestled as few over the years.

From yesterday

Attachments:
    1. 1C99405D-850E-4E97-9E8D-36C83C3BFC8A-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My 6th grader (he is 11) weighed in at 76.5 yesterday and wrestled 75 last year lol. He wrestled up a grade a few times as a 4th grader. Earned 4 Albany state qualifiers as a 4th grader and 2 in the 5th grade brackets but no nywa that year as it was cut short. That year he went 37 and 27. With 25 pins and only being pinned 5 times. Last year was an off year for him but we still got some mat time.

As far as girls go we have no issue with them wrestling boys and know quite a few that wrestle and have wrestled as few over the years.

From yesterday

Yeah my boy is a big kid. Makes it hard for him. Especially being so tall. He gets stuck wrestling short stocky kids.
    He also does boxing at a gym here in town where he excells.
    I never Wrestled as a kid so it was fun to come in and watch him learn and learn with him. Then I was talked in to helping coach and have really enjoyed working with these kids. Watching the high school kids wrestle is another thing. Those kids are tough.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Hats really cool. The stigma of a boy losing to a girl was pretty brutal. Obviously being a father of a daughter, I have a bias and know how tough it was for Olivia. Glad to see more giving it a try and the boys being more open to it

dwalton

My son wrestles for MAHACA. He’s a senior and been wrestling since 3rd grade. Made it to “state” last year. Was top 2 in sections then 4th in super sections. He’s rated 10th in state to start this year. Made it to NYWA state his 8th grade year, and was one match away from being top 5.

Not a parent of a Wrestler, But wrestled myself in High School and Jr. college. I Wrestled for Staples back during the time that they Dominated Class A Wrestling. I was on Two State Championship Teams and qualified for State in individuals my Sr. year. Wrestling was a great sport. Other than the weight cutting I have nothing bad to say about it. Hope both of your kids have a successful and fun season.

I used to wrestle for Hancock back in the day. We always had a pretty good team, only problem was that we had Staples in our region.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Dad wrestled and coached high school, I wrestled, now, I have a 4th-grade wrestler. It gets in your blood and is addicting.

Thanks for coming to the MG tournament, Stanley. That’s our club. Glad your son did well. waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I had several friends in HS that were on the wrestling team and what they did to their bodies to make weight was awful. They’d starve themselves for days and then gorge before the match. I don’t know if it’s still like that nowadays.

I didn’t hit 135 pounds until I was 16 years old. The size differences amongst youth is astonishing.

Wildlifeguy

My 8 year old is in his 3rd year wrestling out of Centennial. He loves it, seems to fit his personality well. He weighed in this past weekend at 85lbs so as you can guess, he’s on the large side for his age. He’s only an inch shorter than his nearly 11 year old brother though, just a big boy. Gonna be a tough year as he’s on the low side of his age bracket, but like I told him, just makes him better next year. I haven’t been around wrestling since I was a little kid, but the more he gets into it, the more I’ve come to enjoy it, it really seems to help him channel his “rambunctious” impulses into something productive. Really gave him a leg up when he started football this past fall too.

Red Eye

“That year he went 37 and 27.”

64 matches as a 4th grader? Wow!
    I wrestled from 2nd grade through junior college. In high school we were limited to 30 regular season matches (graduated ‘99). Back then 100 career wins was really something to be proud of. Not sure if there is a total match cap nowadays but some kids are going into state at 45-0. Then if their team is in it could wrestle 7 more times at state. Good kids can almost have 100 wins in 2 years. Crazy!

LabDaddy1

wrestling parent – retired. My daughter Olivia wrestled through highschool. It was a very intriguing experience. Girl – 135-140 class. She was treated like crap, coaches thought it was a joke, parents were rude and many strongly disagreed about her wrestling guys. She w3as first to practice, last to leave, weight lifting and running in addition to her practice schedule.

After a few weeks, a few of the guys started to rally around her. few weeks later coaches started to show her some respect. Parents, well….they were parents. By the end of her first year the entire team rallied around her, coaches praised her work ethic, and most of the parents erupted and cheered her on when she took the mat. 100% all earned by her determination to do the best that she could do. She knew she was well out gunned by most guys upper body strength. Don’t know she ever went up against a guy that had equal leg strength as her. She lost quite a few matches by points, but only a few were able to pin her. Mutual goal of her’s and the coaches – never lose by pin. If the guy was going to win, he had to take her the distance.

Randy- that is an awesome story.

You seem like a very down-to-earth, open minded guy as well as a great dad and leader to your kids.

Props to your daughter!

reddog

Not a wrestling parent, or even a wrestler. Only wrestling experience was a few gym class periods. With that said, I’ve been to about a million wrestling matches because I love the sport! 35 years of Iowa High School championships. I addictive lay follow The Guillotine and other message boards. I anxiously await The Clash, and the Christmas tournament. Been to many AAU tournaments. Was following Mark Hall before he came to Apple Valley. Well, you get the point. I just love the sport!

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

My 11yr old wrestled youth for a couple years then decided on basketball. Fun to watch youth hoops but we aren’t exactly a hoops town. For those of you that follow wrestling you’ll know what I’m talking about. We live in Kasson, home of the often Nationally ranked Komets! Should be another exciting year in the gym for both sports but a couple deer tags to fill first.

Stanley

“That year he went 37 and 27.”

64 matches as a 4th grader? Wow!
    I wrestled from 2nd grade through junior college. In high school we were limited to 30 regular season matches (graduated ‘99). Back then 100 career wins was really something to be proud of. Not sure if there is a total match cap nowadays but some kids are going into state at 45-0. Then if their team is in it could wrestle 7 more times at state. Good kids can almost have 100 wins in 2 years. Crazy!

We wrestled almost every weekend 21 brackets that year. We have always left it up to him if he wants to do a tournament or not. I know some kids even younger that are 110-130 matches a year which is crazy to me. Once he hits middle school that will all end and he will just do what the school program does. We will also be doing the rumble for the first time this year. Oldest with team and youngest as individual. Royalton doesn’t have enough older youth (4th-6th) to do team stuff but we did a little last year with little falls and that was a fun experience as well.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

My Daughter is a Junior at Cambridge High School. She is one of the Wrestling managers and she loves it. One of her friends is on the team. I have seen some of the others schools forfeit against her because they don’t want to wrestle a girl. Pretty sad actually.

Stanley

I have heard about stuff like that also when it comes to girls. I told my kids if they didn’t want to wrestle a girl they would have to forfeit the whole bracket. If the girls want to wrestle with the boys that’s their decision and they know what they are getting into. Only thing I tell my boys is they don’t get treated differently and to wrestle them just like they would anyone else

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I used to wrestle for Hancock back in the day. We always had a pretty good team, only problem was that we had Staples in our region.

Ya I do believe that there was many years that the 2nd best team in the state was in Region 6. It was sad that they never were able to get to State because they could not beat Staples at Region’s. Perham and New York Mills both come to mind as well as Hancock

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have heard about stuff like that also when it comes to girls. I told my kids if they didn’t want to wrestle a girl they would have to forfeit the whole bracket. If the girls want to wrestle with the boys that’s their decision and they know what they are getting into. Only thing I tell my boys is they don’t get treated differently and to wrestle them just like they would anyone else

Olivia took that as a heck of an insult. Happened to her plenty of times. I get harassment a boy gets from other boys if they lose to a girl. Kids can be extremely brutal with that.
    We got to see the actions though of some great coaches that were teaching these young kids. One that impressed me the most was a coach that pulled his boy aside and had a discussion that I partly over-heard. The boy’s excuse was he didn’t want to hurt Olivia and didn’t want to wrestle her. Coach told him to get his crap together and under stand that girl has worked 100 times harder than any guy to get where she was at. She knew she had to be tougher, work harder, and had nothing to lose and everything to gain – she was hungry. That boy ended up wrestling her and won by a few points. But, it went the distance and they both fought like hell to win. That boy came up to Olivia following and made sure she knew that was one of the hardest matches he had all year. All I remember was he had some state ranking, no clue what that was.

Worst I ever saw was a parent. Olivia won her match and the father walked right up to his son and started cussing him out in front of EVERYONE. I truly felt for that kid, so sad to see he had a pathetic parent.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Alot of my high school friends where wrestlers. So I watched alot of matches. Even went down to watch the state tourney a few times.

I wrestled with the cheerleaders, coffee does that count!! whistling

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Alot of my high school friends where wrestlers. So I watched alot of matches. Even went down to watch the state tourney a few times.

Yes it does! I got pinned by a cheerleader and that resulted in being with her for nearly 40 years and two daughters whistling

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Yes it does! I got pinned by a cheerleader and that resulted in being with her for nearly 40 years and two daughters whistling

I think that is called getting pinned and a tech fall all in one Randy! rotflol

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think that is called getting pinned and a tech fall all in one Randy!

I went for the technical superiority. Never liked one period and over. More satisfying to have the endurance of multiple periods whistling whistling jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol rotflol mrgreen I managed a couple escape manuvers for points. waytogo

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.