Any tips?

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Heading up Saturday for a week long stay. This is a family vacation so, fishing is not priority 1, but it would be nice to catch something and get the boys on a bite of some kind. I am willing to go after anything I can find, other than muskie. I now I am never up there when a guy should be, but there should be something willing to bite, rather it be the northern, walleye, or panfish. Looking for some tips! I have struggled with this lake every time up. The lake is big and I have time eliminating water while looking at the map… It all looks fishy to me! Thanks in advance!

Deuces

General area you’ll be fishing out of, and how far you’ll travel would be good to throw out.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

General area you’ll be fishing out of, and how far you’ll travel would be good to throw out.

You are 100% correct… I will be staying at Trappers and fishing from there. Closer the better but I am willing to go wherever needed as long as the wind is rolling in crazy waves. Have a 19 foot tin boat with a 150.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Having stayed out of Trappers last year, Huddle’s Reef is a go-to. Purple iridescent crawfish shad raps trolled over the reef caught us fish. Seemed very color specific. That was an afternoon bite. Recently, it has sounded like a night bite is the most reliable pattern out there. Shallow sand long-lining cranks. Good luck!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

It’ll be a drive but Walker bay tends to be your best bet come late July-Aug. Find some flats around 25-30′ and hit those at dawn and dusk.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Fishing out of Trappers, you should consider the mid-lake reefs or second breaklines offshore. Given the time of year, I’d probably start looking in 13-17′ and adjust from there.

Leech is a different lake in the big basin vs Agency/Walker bay. Those bays are very clear and deep, while the rest of the lake is much shallower and more gin-stained. So in most of the lake, the walleye won’t necessarily be in that 25-30 foot range (though they will likely be so in Agency/Walker bay).

For tactics near where you’ll be:
    Northerns and walleye can probably be found pulling cranks over some of the mid-depth bars near pelican island or over shallower flats at sunset.

-If there’s wind, work the windward side of any points/bars.
    -Boy bay is shallow-plenty of pike,
    -Consider the islands or potentially stony point/ottertail if nothing else is working.
    -If all else fails, the bite directly above/in emergent weedlines should get some action.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.