Any safe ice up nort

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I live on a lake near Rush City and they are walking all over it everyday.

I was out there last night checking ice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I see a couple of portables on the lake behind my house right now. I sure as hell wouldn’t be out there yet. They keep moving closer to the sketchy black spot that’s always last to ice up because it’s deepest. No sign of testing the ice with a spud or drill as they go, either.

I’m guessing they are checking and know what they are doing. Not to often do I run past guys on first ice who are clueless.

picklerick
    Central WI

That’s normally the case for me too. Last year, one of the first two guys that walked out went through in 5FOW. The first guy to drive out about a week later put his brand new Polaris in up to the window on his way off. He was about 15′ from shore. Luckily it didn’t happen out in 12FOW where I first saw him.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I saw a couple boats out fishing on the river by Prescott around noon. Really nice day out there for late November.

Not really “up nort” I guess though.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>picklerick wrote:</div>
    I see a couple of portables on the lake behind my house right now. I sure as hell wouldn’t be out there yet. They keep moving closer to the sketchy black spot that’s always last to ice up because it’s deepest. No sign of testing the ice with a spud or drill as they go, either.

I’m guessing they are checking and know what they are doing. Not to often do I run past guys on first ice who are clueless.

I will be out this weekend straight out from the house with some I-fish pros!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will be out this weekend straight out from the house with some I-fish pros!
    [/quote]

If I see you I will walk over.

FinnyDinDin

Rocks are a bigger issue in the spring. Snow melts and the warm spring sun hits the rocks melting them through the ice then the sun shines through the hole and hits the bottom of the lake warming it up and speeding up the ice deterioration. The lake access becomes unusable while just down the shore where dozens of rocks weren’t on the ice it is fine. So for those of us that fish late in to March and April they are an issue.

Not to mention, that it is the least accurate way to check ice thickness.

Back to ice reports, lots of lakes up north are good to go for walking. Some mid size lakes froze Monday night and some of the big lakes are wide open.

Riverrat

Rocks may be the least accurate way to measure ice thickness, but they are the most effective way to measure how much fun you can have with a rock when its cold out. high 40s to low 50s next week. Bring a rope.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Rocks are a bigger issue in the spring. Snow melts and the warm spring sun hits the rocks melting them through the ice then the sun shines through the hole and hits the bottom of the lake warming it up and speeding up the ice deterioration. The lake access becomes unusable while just down the shore where dozens of rocks weren’t on the ice it is fine. So for those of us that fish late in to March and April they are an issue.

Back to ice reports, lots of lakes up north are good to go for walking. Some mid size lakes froze Monday night and some of the big lakes are wide open.

I fish early ice, late ice, late in the year in the boat early in the year in the boat and never once have I complained about rocks some kids threw on the ice. I get you don’t like them. I doubt the rocks people throw out there isn’t actually to measure the thickness.

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>

I fish early ice, late ice, late in the year in the boat early in the year in the boat and never once have I complained about rocks some kids threw on the ice. I get you don’t like them. I doubt the rocks people throw out there isn’t actually to measure the thickness.

Good for you bud. It seems my comment really got to you.

The people I have seen do it are grown azz adults thinking they are checking the ice thickness.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good for you bud. It seems my comment really got to you.

The people I have seen do it are grown azz adults thinking they are checking the ice thickness.
    [/quote]

No sir your comment didn’t get to me. The pettiness of complaing about people throwing rocks on the ice I found funny.
    Maybe those adults want the rocks to warm the ice so they can get the boats out. I guess life’s to short to whine about something so little. There’s no law against it so I guess it comes down to our opinions, which both mean nothing.
    But if you watch grown men doing this, it seems like a good moment to go educate them with your thought process, maybe they will agree or maybe they will bend over and grab more rocks

deertracker

I like throwing rocks across the early, thin ice. They make a really cool sound. coffee
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like throwing rocks across the early, thin ice. They make a really cool sound. coffee
    DT

Those are fighting words around here

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

DT

and here i thought you were a good guy!!!!! Unbelievable!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Hay get to work………

Riverrat

No safe ice here in MN, its all covered in feces and rocks.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I checked about a dozen lakes today. The anti-rock guys will be happy to know I did not see one rock on the ice. I found anywhere from 3.75 to 4.5 inches on most lakes. I did find 2.5 inches over a 28 foot hole on one of the lakes.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Little Winnie, at the landing, had maybe 2 inches.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Little Winnie, at the landing, had maybe 2 inches.

Should I run up and rock test it for you ?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I checked about a dozen lakes today. The anti-rock guys will be happy to know I did not see one rock on the ice. I found anywhere from 3.75 to 4.5 inches on most lakes. I did find 2.5 inches over a 28 foot hole on one of the lakes.

well thst tells me i’ll stay at home next week!!!!!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Like I said. There are no rocks at any of the places I’d checked. Obviously another casualty of kids today with their faces stuck on a screen. Come on up and start throwing rocks. It’s looking barren.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Like I said. There are no rocks at any of the places I’d checked. Obviously another casualty of kids today with their faces stuck on a screen. Come on up and start throwing rocks. It’s looking barren.

I wish I could get up there. I hope you get some peace and quiet. Everyone needs that. It’s probably why I love hunting

steelslinger71

It may be the day drinking but that was pretty dang funny Riverrat.

27eyeguy

On the ice in NW WI, 3″. Gotta go flag up.

Umy
    South Metro

Just go back into town from Spring Lake park headed south to eagan/
    2 guys on the ice with holes drilled and walking around on Island Lake off of 694 in Arden Hills.
    Are you kidding?

FinnyDinDin

I went to a resort access to check ice yesterday. It had a sign saying please do not throw rocks on the ice.

What a petty sign.

The guy must hate kids.

lol lol lol

I made a comment. Got questioned comment. Answered question. Then get made out to be some kid hater when I never mentioned kids and then called a whiner. Gotta love forums.

::kicks rocks::

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I don’t think any one said anything about being a kid hater, nor called you a whiner. but when I kick those rocks, should they be towards the ice or away ?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Going to try a smaller lake tonight. It seems like it got a lot colder than forecasted overnight which is great.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

2 guys fishing middle of Diamond Lake yesterday……(1 mile from Cabela’s in Rogers). don’t think so…..

Not s rock in sight.

By the way, that’s how the sport of curling started. An Irish man kicked a frozen cabbage north to see how far it would go. Guy from Scotland, being of frugal Scottish heritage, kept the cabbage and sent a rock back in return…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If your hear that noise towards Woodbury, its me wrestling with my conscience whether to make the trip to the cabin alone just to fish or not. This weekend IS first ice weekend for sure up nort.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.