Any safe ice up nort

• lawerence ecklor
    Coon Valley, WI.

Going to northern and north central wisconsin in next day or so ..anybody got safe ice..

Tlazer

Haven’t seen anything safe around Hayward, WI.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Not yet but I am guessing some will be by weekend. I walked on two boat Landings by Minong Sat. I only make it out a couple yards but it was holding and didnt crack until I shifted my weight up and down. Too bad it got covered with snow. That makes reading first ice more difficult.

tim hurley

First ice is like granite, but thin is thin.

27eyeguy

Checked couple smaller lakes by Shell Lake, should be good to go by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would imagine many small lakes will be good. We have fishable ice by us right now

Tinker
    Iron Range

Below zero temps here this morning.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Not exactly “up north” but I saw some of the old famed “rock testing” going on on some shallow sloughs of Pool 4.

Steps to the Rock Test:

Step 1: Drive around for a while until you find an area with fresh looking ice. Bonus points if there’s a boat launch area to test this at as rocks become more of a hindrance there.

Step 2: Scour the shoreline for a rock that’s approximately 2% of your body weight

Step 3: Throw said stone approximately 20 feet onto the ice.

Step 4: Repeat Step 3 a few more times for no real reason.

Step 5: If they go through, you get back into your vehicle and leave. If they land on the ice with a thud, also get back into your vehicle and leave.

Step 6: Realize on your ride home that you gained very little usable evidence along the way, but you did get to throw a rock or two.

mrpike1973

Bucky I snorted my coffee out on that one so true thanks for the humor

FinnyDinDin

Bucky A+ post.

Rocks scattered at every landing drives me nuts. I have considered buying cheap spud bars and leaving one at the popular accesses with a sign to please test ice thickness with the chisel and do not throw rocks on the ice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bucky A+ post.

Rocks scattered at every landing drives me nuts. I have considered buying cheap spud bars and leaving one at the popular accesses with a sign to please test ice thickness with the chisel and do not throw rocks on the ice.

Why not, they are sending the rocks back to there homes.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The rock test jester glad i never drill holes by the launch. Good way to need new blades.

Walleye Hungry

The rock test jester glad i never drill holes by the launch. Good way to need new blades.

Its all fun and games until you pierce your ice house tub on one

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ive completed steps 1-5 many many times grin

actually something the kids look forward to every year

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its all fun and games until you pierce your ice house tub on one
    [/quote]

My otters never broke. Cracked or chipped. They would just hop the rock. Hope my new clam can take the same beating.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

ive completed steps 1-5 many many times grin

actually something the kids look forward to every year

Same, my kids love it. Unless it’s on a skating rink, I let them throw those rocks all they want.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The lake shore in front of my house is devoid of rocks as they are all about 20′ out in thigh deep water. lol

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’ll most likely be on the ice Thursday and Friday. I’ll check area lakes (GR area) Thur. But considering how my lake looks and the below zero temps with no wind. I’m thinking ice season is a go.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ll most likely be on the ice Thursday and Friday. I’ll check area lakes (GR area) Thur. But considering how my lake looks and the below zero temps with no wind. I’m thinking ice season is a go.

peace peace waytogo i like your thinking Wade. we are about 40 miles north and west of rapids. 7 miles west of talmoon near jessie lake!!!!

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Not exactly “up north” but I saw some of the old famed “rock testing” going on on some shallow sloughs of Pool 4.

Steps to the Rock Test:

Step 1: Drive around for a while until you find an area with fresh looking ice. Bonus points if there’s a boat launch area to test this at as rocks become more of a hindrance there.

Step 2: Scour the shoreline for a rock that’s approximately 2% of your body weight

Step 5: If they go through, you get back into your vehicle and leave. If they land on the ice with a thud, also get back into your vehicle and leave.

Step 6: Realize on your ride home that you gained very little usable evidence along the way, but you did get to throw a rock or two.

I didn’t realize there were actual rules for the test!

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

For all you “ROCK Testers”,Rralize that Quite a few of your rocks either don’t go through or go partially through the thin Ice….as the ice thickens and the rocks become solidly iced in, some real damage can be caused – especially when the exposed rocks seem to be near the launch ramps. Hit one with your rig or sled and this post will have more meaning.

deertracker

I have a spot that is good to go right now in West Central MN. Darn work is in the way.
    DT

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a spot that is good to go right now in West Central MN. Darn work is in the way.
    DT

I have spots too but I am locked out the next two weekends. flame

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For all you “ROCK Testers”,Rralize that Quite a few of your rocks either don’t go through or go partially through the thin Ice….as the ice thickens and the rocks become solidly iced in, some real damage can be caused – especially when the exposed rocks seem to be near the launch ramps. Hit one with your rig or sled and this post will have more meaning.

I been running the same rocks over on the ice for 35 years. They don’t do any more damage then when I ran them over on shore or the heaves we run over. You sound like your talking about 100 pound boulders. That or really crap equipment which I doubt. I’m guessing wr will be rock testing tonight near the house just because its fun.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

This is the 494 ramp on P2 every year when it ices up.

-J.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Been ice fishing for better than 30 years. Never suffered any damage to anything hitting those rocks and ridges. Honestly I have never thought of those rocks I walk or drive over as an issue. Never gave them a second thought. Until I read this post, I didn’t know anyone did.

Perhaps those suffering damage need to slow down? Do you guys enter the lake at 30 MPH or what?

If it is truly a concern. I highly recommend not fishing glacial bedrock lakes in the north. Nothing but huge sharp rocks.

vinella

Might be time to get back to the original question – how is da ice looking up nort Wisconsin, der hey?

Charles

Willow river MN, small lake is about 2-4″ so that’s all I know.

picklerick
    Central WI

I see a couple of portables on the lake behind my house right now. I sure as hell wouldn’t be out there yet. They keep moving closer to the sketchy black spot that’s always last to ice up because it’s deepest. No sign of testing the ice with a spud or drill as they go, either.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I live on a lake near Rush City and they are walking all over it everyday.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.