Any Odd Tales of Old to Share?

• tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I was revisiting some of the trips I did in the past.

Back in college (early 90s) a friend of mine and I decided to drive the 30 hours to central Idaho for a hiking/fishing trip in the Frank Church Wilderness. We were two college kids from Twin Cities suburbia. I remember we were hiking in on this trail and encountered a horse train of prospectors leaving. The first two guys looked pretty normal but the last guy in the group was this scroungy looking, weathered faced, missing teeth guy with a droopy leather hat. He looked like some derelict straight out of “Gun Smoke”. My friend goes: “Howdy”. He later admitted he figured he couldn’t go wrong with “Howdy”.

Further on we were looking for a place to camp. We found this broad, flat spot along the Middle Fork of the Salmon River that was obviously used. Horse activity and stuffed carved into trees like: BLACK DOG MINE #2 w/ coordinates. I remember looking at my friend and asking: “Do you think it’s safe to camp here or are we going to wake up to <insert Deliverance Banjo Tune here>?”

Stuff that sticks in your mind over the years when your intent was simply to go fishing.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

the story doesn’t have any oddity to it, however when I was about 12 or 13 years old I was with a group canoeing through the boundary waters. Somewhere along the way we got lost and wound up camping on a very small lake way off the beaten path. I don’t think anyone had been where we were standing for maybe 100 years or more. That was a cool feeling.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I actually had something kind of similar in the Quetico. Same friend and I bushwhacked to link two sections of the park together. We got caught in a T-storm and camped on a lake we didn’t intend to. After things settled down we did a little exploring and discovered a camp site of old. There was a set of 35mm film canisters with diaries of previous trips in the early 70s. Not sure about now but there were no active portages into that area during our trip in 1991.

Anyone ever hear of a “Raspberry” portage into Hoare Lake?

acafisherman19

Not really all that old, but was heading to a very small lake on some land my family owns in the spring, intending to fish northerns. Right as we’re getting the boat in, we see a log type thing on the shoreline. Upon further inspection, it is actually a big, dead fish – and a muskie, no less. This, in a ten acre pond never stocked with them at all. Very odd, 41″ fish too.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

We found a coffee can full of human ashes in the boundary waters about 15 years ago. We were hiking off the beaten path to the top of a bluff to get some pictures. On the edge of the bluff we found an old coffee can sitting there. We thought it was garbage so we went to grab it and could tell it was full of something. When we opened it there was a small sealed mylar bag inside and a note with a eulogy. If anyone knew a George Johnson who lived in St. Paul and died in 1994, he’s got a nice view of Rose Lake.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In 1951 when my father was 10 years old, he and his mother drove from Morris, MN to the Beartooth Pass between Redlodge MT and Cook City. My father’s aunt and uncle owned what was back then known as a “dude ranch” where wealthy people mainly from Chicago and other big cities in the Midwest would come for a month or so during the summer.

The Beartooth Pass road was a gravel road then, only open about 4 months of the year. Grandma and dad drove to the trailhead with their 48 Chevy loaded with 720 eggs that his aunt had requested they bring. Fresh eggs were one of the most difficult foods to keep in stock at the ranch.

They were met at the trailhead by Uncle Jim, a real cowboy and my dad’s hero, and his long string of packhorses. This was a dream come true situation for a kid raised in the 1940s. The real west, real cowboys, real horses, dad wore his cowboy hat and got to carry his .22 in a real scabbard on horseback every day.

The ranch was known as Camp Sawtooth and it was in an idyllic large meadow with a small rushing brook running between the main lodge and the guest cabins, it was 8 rugged miles off the trailhead and only accessible by horse. My father captured the trip on his Kodak camera and we still have some of the pictures he took.

In 1957 the US Forest Service declined to renew the lease on Camp Sawtooth. They wanted to return the area to an empty wilderness and so the camp was abandoned and fell into ruin.

Fast forward 55 years. In 2006 my dad and I went back to see if we could find the remains of Camp Sawtooth. We had tried to get some information from locals, but nobody in the area had any memory of it.

Using my father’s half-century-old memory of the terrain, we hiked in and in a surprisingly short period of time, actually found the remains camp. The lodge’s stone fireplace still stands and the bridge over the creek had collapsed but was still visible. The guest cabin foundations were all there as well. There were no signs that anyone had really been there since 1957.

We even found what his uncle Jim claimed was the most valuable secret in Montana. The entrance to the trail to Crater Lake. The beginning is marked with a rock with the Camp’s brand. Crater Lake is an incredible sight, it’s a lake formed when a giant rockslide blocked a river and it is said to be hundreds of feet deep. It sits at the bottom of 200 foot sheer rock walls on all sides.

According to dad, the trout in Crater Lake bit like sunfish and they were much larger than the trout in the local streams. A few hours fishing by him and his uncle supplied the whole ranch with trout for dinner. Being a flatland boy, he had no knowledge of what kind of trout they were. Cutthroats? Rainbows?

Quite a trip back in time. The emptiness of the west is both awe-inspiring and lonely at the same time. I doubt many more than a handful of people had been in Camp Sawtooth since it was abandoned all those years ago.

Grouse

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Did it look like this?

I liked your post so I did a quick Google search. Interesting.

Attachments:
    1. Cabin.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Difficult to say for sure, Andy, but I don’t think so. I don’t recognize those buildings from any of my father’s old pictures. The main lodge was a 2 story log building, but I don’t see the big stone chimney/fireplace in that photo which was a fixture in the lodge. However, the postcard is 1935 and my father was there 16 years later so things could have changed.

I’ll have to compare it to some of my father’s pictures.

Oddly, that postcard was mailed from Fort Peck, MT, which is way up in northern Montana. A long way from the Beartooth Pass.

My dad remembers the original trip with great fondness and in vivid detail. His Uncle Jim was his hero, a real cowboy who carried a real 6-shooter and wore real spurs. When Jim and his wife Teady had to leave Montana, they settled in Grand Rapids, MN where they both lived the rest of their lives.

Jim was a HUGE Grand Rapids hockey fan and for 20 years he attended every Grand Rapids hockey match, both home and away. He suffered a heart attack at the Region Final in 1980 when the Rapids scored the go-ahead goal and, unfortunately he did not survive to see his beloved team win the state tournament that year.

Grouse

Grouse

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

very cool story grouse! thanks for sharing

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cool story Grouse!

I grew up catching hammerhandles on Platte Lake in MN with my grandpa. He used to always tell stories of “The Bull”. Per the story the Bull was the alpha northern of Platte Lake, and would eat any northern that reached a certain size which is why it stayed full of little hammerhandles. Well Grandpa had special equipment for catching the Bull, this included a 3 foot long baitcaster that would likely work as a pry bar also, and a 18″ club for clubbing the Bull if you were lucky enough to get it to the boat. Grandpa claimed he had the bull on quite a few times over the years (and if you ever broke off, it was the Bull collecting his tariff for you being on his lake). We would fish trolling daredevils on long cane poles, and one time Grandpa tangled with the bull he just threw the cane pole in the lake and followed it around (they were made of bamboo). He said he followed it for well over an hour when it finally quit moving he picked up the cane pole and immediately the Bull bit off the daredevil. To this day no one has ever caught the Bull but my cousins who have the cabin now will occasionally report seeing it sunning itself in the shallows or biting them off. But to this day no one has ever caught or seen the Bull washed up on shore…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Grouse. Amazing story. Got any pics from the return trip?

desperado

One day in February, BK wanted to check out some of his favorite catfish holes

A – Aron
    Red Wing

This one is just from yesterday. I Was punching a bunch of holes with the jiffy 2 stroke yesterday on a back water of pool 4 looking for fish and trying to find a place nobody was at.

Probably drilled 25 holes shut the auger off and 100 yards up the slough I saw a coyote or a fox trotting across the ice. I did what was only second nature I started to kiss “mimicking a mouse”

It was a fox and started running right at me? I froze smelling of auger fumes and he just kept coming and coming, got to about 10 yards before we had a stand off for about 30 seconads. He must have been pretty hungry.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Correction: The lake I referenced above in the Beartooth region is not Crater Late, but rather Deep Lake in Wyoming. Look at it on Google Earth, it’s an incredible sight.

No one has logged any pictures of the old Camp Sawtooth on Google Earth. It’s a half day by horseback to get from the old camp to Deep Lake.

Ralph, I do have old-school film pictures of the return trip. I did not bring a digital camera on this trip as the one I had back then was very battery hungry and I didn’t want to risk taking it into the wilderness.

Grouse

desperado

One day in February, BK wanted to check out some of his favorite catfish holes

the guy who lived next to the boat ramp was dubious

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.