Any ice left?

• fygr8

Just wondering if there will be fishable ice thru the weekend?

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I was on Leech last weekend and very surprised at how much ice there is, probably at least 24 inches. Access will be the key, but if you can get on this ice should be good.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s amazing that 140 miles of latitude can make such a difference! We’ve been ice-free for a while in the metro.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

A week ago I had my Ice Castle and 1/2 ton 9 miles out on Leech. I had to bury the auger to get through. Ice is crazy thick up there!

bradl110

I think its time to give up ice fishing for the season in Minnesota. Way to risky, its just not worth it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I think its time to give up ice fishing for the season in Minnesota. Way to risky, its just not worth it.

I respectfully disagree. A blanket statement like that really shows a lot of ignorance.

There is more and better ice on Leech lake right now than there has been on any metro lake the entire year. Was it too risky to fish the entire ice season then?? How can you tell how safe the ice is from inside your house?

bradl110

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bradl110 wrote:</div>

I respectfully disagree. A blanket statement like that really shows a lot of ignorance. Stay in your protective bubble. Wait the oxygen tank might run out… That’s too risky too.

There is more and better ice on Leech lake right now than there has been on any metro lake the entire year. Was it too risky to fish the entire ice season then?? How can you tell how safe the ice is from inside your house? People who through out false statements bother me if you can’t tell.

Easy there buddy, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I just want people to be safe that’s all.

blank

Isn’t it a blanket statement that by saying that the ice was good on Leech a week ago that one can assume that Bowstring should still be good too? With the weather we’ve had this week and every lake being different, I’d contact local people to find current info on conditions before assuming anything when conditions change so drastically this time of year.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Isn’t it a blanket statement that by saying that the ice was good on Leech a week ago that one can assume that Bowstring should still be good too? With the weather we’ve had this week and every lake being different, I’d contact local people to find current info on conditions before assuming anything when conditions change so drastically this time of year.

I said nothing about the ice on Bowstring. It might be all gone. I do know the ice I saw on leech was better than any I’ve seen all year.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I just want people to be safe that’s all.

I’m just not sure why people that are rarely on the ice feel like they should advise others the ice they haven’t seen is not safe??

bradl110

I’m just not sure why people that are rarely on the ice feel like they should advise others the ice they haven’t seen is not safe??

How would you know if I spend time on the ice. Can you see into peoples minds over the internet. Oh wait your just a troll. You need to relax a little bit.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

How would you know if I spend time on the ice. Can you see into peoples minds over the internet. Oh wait your just a troll. You need to relax a little bit.

I guess I can tell by your comments you haven’t seen ice in a while. My main concern is having people enjoy the ice safely and I’m sorry if I was a bit harsh earlier. I really have a hard time with people saying “the ice isn’t safe just stay off”. Again sorry but there is safe ice and a lot of it.

fygr8

We are going up to Bowstring tomorrow and will use extreme caution. Access this time of the year can always be an issue. I have been watching Bowstring Shores live webcam and their launch has taken a beating but the rest of the lake looks pretty good. It actually looked like a truck just went across the middle of the lake. I would never consider that, but a wheeler or on foot is the option for one last trip. I will report back on what we find.

P.S. Did not mean to start a firestorm over my inquiry on conditions. Be safe!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I was told this morning the ice along the shoreline on sand lake looked pretty tough. He was going to use extreme caution if he went out. This from the individual that is currently up there!

Just trying to help!

gonehunting

Two through the ice on Height of Land lake in Becker County yesterday and one through on West Silent in Otter Tail County today. Best be careful out there. That’s three that are lucky to be alive. You not only put yourself at risk but those who have to come save you. Common sense get’s you many places in life.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

With all due recognition Joe, that you are on ice in that you can comment on the ice you have been on.
    Conversely you commented on how the ice on Mille Lacs would be without any worry at the time this forum group had a planned outing on Mille Lacs the last weekend of February. Despite your assurances that all would be fine…obviously it was not. Not just the person organizing the event to call it off, but that weekend most all resorts and accesses were closed and mid-lake bridges were being pulled. So your comment about others saying that the ice is not safe, you advising the ice is safe without you being on??

fygr8

Got to Bowstring on Thursday and the N.W. landing was fine & North landing was a mess. Walked out on North landing and the 18″ of ice turned very candled in the late afternoon. Temps dropped to 26 and tightened everything up for one last hoorah on Friday. Crappie bite was good and jumbo perch were non-existent. Rain Friday night and temps staying above freezing sent us back home early. Ice season is officially DONE!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.