Any GTO experts out there?

• CaptainMusky

My son bought a 2006 Pontiac GTO last summer. The transmission was bad so I paid to have that rebuilt because I didnt want to have a repeat of the 86 Fiero GT that he has which is still not drivable due to something with the clutch. Its like its stuck on as in if you put it in gear the thing will still not move.
    Anyways, the GTO, it needed the radiator replaced and he has a hard time saving money being out on his own so I pulled $500 from my pulltab winnings and said get it replaced. So last wednesday he drove it to the dealership that he works and and into the service area. Dropped off the keys and went to work. The service guys went to drive it to a stall to put on a lift and it wouldnt start. No crank nothing. Its a brand new battery. They pushed it outside and out of the way. Now what? They were able to do some diagnostics and there are no codes, but they determined that the starter is not getting the signal to crank which seems to be something relating to the vehicle security system which I have heard is problematic for them. There are so few of these cars around and doing a lot of wire chasing etc seems probably in order. I set out and searched online and found a tuning shop in Ohio that does an ECM program to essentially delete or bypass the anti-theft systems for $125. I told him to pull the ECM and sent if off Friday. I talked to the duded in charge of that company and he cautioned me that this MAY NOT fix the problem, but I said its better to just try this at $125 than to spend many hours of labor chasing something only to find out this was the problem in the first place. He agreed. He said if this doesnt fix it then its likely the BCM that is causing the problem.
    Anyone have any experience with these cars? Its a sweet vehicle and he has already destroyed multiple mustangs with it. He got it for a steal, but Id hate for him to have to dump a wad of cash into this thing and it be bricked as in cannot even get it going. Holden no longer exists which is the Australian company that produced it for GM. Its worth double what he paid for it but only if it runs. Ugh.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You need a tech that knows electronics and can read a blue print to properly troubleshoot. Watch South Main Auto on YouTube, he fixes these kinda problems all the time that other shops send him, He breaks down what is going on and can prove the problem before he fixes it.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I have watched a few videos online, but these things are so rare its really tough to find much content. Im just hoping that the previous owner didnt jack with the wiring harness at all because that was pretty common. Its just strange that he literally drove it there then minutes later it wouldnt start. They have a very quirky security system that you are supposed to wait for a certain number of chirps when turning the key on before trying to crank it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

It’s a GM car with an LS in it, start there. Anything special to the GTO probably isn’t what is causing the issue, sounds like a standard gm no start problem. You shouldn’t have a problem finding someone to work on a gm car.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Rare ? I don’t really think so. They are all over. But yes I agree with one stout. It’s a ls gm should be able to be looked over fairly easily. Probably has some faulty wiring. Lots of kids ran those cars so they were never treated very nicely. Any reputable electrical mechanic should be able to eliminate alot of what’s happening. A dealer would be my last resort. The 6.0 is a big motor in that small car that’s what made them and the ctsv fun.

If he ever needs any performance parts I still have a bunch of randoms in the barn from when I owned mine. Full corsa exhaust, clutch kits, short shifter, wheels, mint driver and passenger door. And tons of randoms. Took everything worth salvage after totalling it. This was a 05. But all the same on 06.
    Becarful when Beaton on the stang guys. Easy to take on the neighborhood kid who thinks his v6 is fast, but many many stangs on the road that are complete show stoppers. I used to think our gto was untouchable. It definitely was not. Then I wrecked it and went ctsv so we had same set up but more comfort

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Have you tried doing a search or added a post on LS1Tech?

The site is still used pretty frequently, so you might get some feedback. Or you can always do a search. Did you test for power at the starter when you turn the key, or push the start button? I don’t recall, but something is telling me those used push button start. Can you try turning it over with a remote starter switch?

CaptainMusky

Its a Holden, there are not many around. I cannot even remember the last time I saw a GTO of this vintage. The security system is unique to Holden nothing like the GM security systems and it has a history of being problematic. I really hope this bypass or whatever fixes it, but I dont think this has anything to do with powertrain. Yes, the LS is a great motor and tough as nails, but these electrical systems are unique to this car. I saw a newer G8 this weekend and man I would love to own one of those. Sweet cars probably the best sedan GM ever made.

CaptainMusky

Have you tried doing a search or added a post on LS1Tech?

The site is still used pretty frequently, so you might get some feedback. Or you can always do a search. Did you test for power at the starter when you turn the key, or push the start button? I don’t recall, but something is telling me those used push button start. Can you try turning it over with a remote starter switch?

I didnt do any of those, but the dealer said there is no voltage at the starter which means its getting interrupted somewhere. I read something wild online this morning that said if this happens to stay in the car, key in ignition and lock the doors then unlock them and wait 30 seconds and it pops right off. Unfortunately we cannot try that now since I sent the ECM off. It will be the first thing I try if that doesnt fix it. Fingers crossed. I want to drive that bad boy! He only paid 6K for it plus the 1700 I put into the transmission. Its worth way more than that. With a little money it will put out some crazy HP.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its a Holden, there are not many around. I cannot even remember the last time I saw a GTO of this vintage. The security system is unique to Holden nothing like the GM security systems and it has a history of being problematic. I really hope this bypass or whatever fixes it, but I dont think this has anything to do with powertrain. Yes, the LS is a great motor and tough as nails, but these electrical systems are unique to this car. I saw a newer G8 this weekend and man I would love to own one of those. Sweet cars probably the best sedan GM ever made.

They are all holdens, the only ones worth while were 05 and 6. Sounds like a fault in the security system which could be a endless wiring gremlin. Hope the boy can figure it out. If he does and wants parts tell him to come to the house and I’ll ship him some away. He will make a few buddies I’m sure as there are 3 of gtos in our neighborhood. And the holiday guy up town runs one as well.

CaptainMusky

WOw that is crazy to think you have that many around you. This is an 06 sweet little car. He was pretty tore about it when it wouldnt start and wanted to just sell it I said screw that we will figure it out regardless of cost. I can win more pulltab money lol. Im very hopeful that this reflash or whatever will get the problem solved. If not, its on to the next thing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

WOw that is crazy to think you have that many around you. This is an 06 sweet little car. He was pretty tore about it when it wouldnt start and wanted to just sell it I said screw that we will figure it out regardless of cost. I can win more pulltab money lol. Im very hopeful that this reflash or whatever will get the problem solved. If not, its on to the next thing.

They are really sweet little rides. Lots of power in a cavalier body lol. The red neck kids in nb love them, that’s why I didn’t think they were so rare. If I could get a g8 these days that would be the car to have.

CaptainMusky

A G8 GXP is right up there for my dream car. The crazy thing about the GTO though is you can actually sit in the backseat unlike a camaro that is why I think they are so sweet. Too bad they are so plain looking.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A G8 GXP is right up there for my dream car. The crazy thing about the GTO though is you can actually sit in the backseat unlike a camaro that is why I think they are so sweet. Too bad they are so plain looking.

My buddy who had a cavalier forever used to tease me that we had the same car. When we bought the ctsv I was in love. That car was amazing inside and out. Besides the traction control button being inside the glove box, I loved that car.

CaptainMusky

That is the dumbest thing ever to put the button in there LOL Those CTS vs are sweet for sure. I secretly wanted the wagon version of that.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I saw a newer G8 this weekend and man I would love to own one of those. Sweet cars probably the best sedan GM ever made.

The G8 is a cool car, but the Chevy SS is a better overall car. Just better fit and finish if you ask me.

It sounds like you are going down the right track with the starter issue. I would definitely check LS1Tech, as mentioned there’s a lot of info on that site. And as you’ve found, you’re not the only one to have this issue.

My buddy, who used to write for Street Thunder Magazine(no longer in publication) did a story on his dad’s GTO, they put a Magnuson Blower, LTs and Catback, the car was a blast to drive. But unfortunately an auto, so not as fun on the road course.

You could also reach out to Doug Rippie in Waverly, he’s mostly a Corvette guy, but I know he has worked on many GTOs. They actually did the install/tuning on the above mentioned GTO.

Just a note, if you end up dumping the car, keep the spare wheel/tire. They are pretty coveted by the drag guys. Basically a very effective skinny for the track.

What color is the GTO? I live just west of STC, and work in Sauk Rapids.

Snake ii’s

Not “new ones”, but I have a 70 and a 72 – along with a 69 firebird and 71 formula. None are car show ready, more Roadkill right now.

Not a fan of any Pontiac produced after ’78 when they went with corporate engines.

RIP, Pontiac.

CaptainMusky

he lives in St Cloud and I live north of sartell. The car is red and the ONLY drawback is that the paint is not good. Some knucklehead before him, not previous owner, but the one before likely, rhinolined the entire body and bumpers! Granted it is professionally done so its a good job, just a bummer that its not paint. The car came from SC originally so I am sure the paint was bad, but at least he wont have to worry about hail damage or door dings LOL. I found a product for him to remove it, but that will be a down the road project. He will likely then have to repaint it as I expect that is why this was done. His is an auto as well, which he isnt the best at driving a stick so that is good.
    Should get the ECM back next week so fingers crossed.

CaptainMusky

Reached out in the LS1Tech forum hopefully there is someone there with some ideas. I did a bunch of searched and found a lot of people with similar issues, but never really found a solution.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s a auto ? That’s lame. The rare trait just took a hit lol. Tell him to sell it now and hope to get the money back

CaptainMusky

Yeah, he is better off with an auto. He had to detail the owner’s camaro zl1 that was a stick at work and it went like 30 in first gear and he almost killed it and himself. LOL There was a drift car in there and he started it and then said, no, someone else needs to move this. LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah, he is better off with an auto. He had to detail the owner’s camaro zl1 that was a stick at work and it went like 30 in first gear and he almost killed it and himself. LOL There was a drift car in there and he started it and then said, no, someone else needs to move this. LOL

Have to learn one way or another. A 84 f150 would be better. But if he can ride a dirt bike then it should just come as common motion.

CaptainMusky

His roommate is pretty crafty. He has an older Miata and he swapped out the auto and put in a manual. I dont particularly like monkeybuttizing what is original, but its his car I guess.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cole wrote:</div>

he lives in St Cloud and I live north of sartell. The car is red and the ONLY drawback is that the paint is not good. Some knucklehead before him, not previous owner, but the one before likely, rhinolined the entire body and bumpers! Granted it is professionally done so its a good job, just a bummer that its not paint. The car came from SC originally so I am sure the paint was bad, but at least he wont have to worry about hail damage or door dings LOL. I found a product for him to remove it, but that will be a down the road project. He will likely then have to repaint it as I expect that is why this was done. His is an auto as well, which he isnt the best at driving a stick so that is good.
    Should get the ECM back next week so fingers crossed.

That’s really unfortunate regarding the paint. But honestly, it doesn’t surprise me anymore. It seems like I’ve seen it all. When a person owns a car, I’m OK with them doing whatever the hell they want, as long as it’s not unsafe to others. If you do something that only you like, then you’ll suffer the consequences at sale time.

I’ll keep any eye out for him. I have a cammed C5, blue with black top.

I have officially been in a LTX(90s) or LSX car nonstop for more than 25 years now. They’re an absolute blast to drive and the aftermarket parts availability is unmatched. Next winter I’ll pulling the Diff/Tranny to install new gears and a clutch. It should be a fun project.

CaptainMusky

That’s really unfortunate regarding the paint. But honestly, it doesn’t surprise me anymore. It seems like I’ve seen it all. When a person owns a car, I’m OK with them doing whatever the hell they want, as long as it’s not unsafe to others. If you do something that only you like, then you’ll suffer the consequences at sale time.

The product I found removes the rhino lining relatively easily it is just a lengthy process. We need to get this thing running first then worry about the other things. Its really strange that he drove it there and now nothing. It did this one other time and that was when he dropped it off at the tranny shop, the guy couldnt start it, but they have some strange series of beeps you need to wait for before cranking it. My son went over there and it popped right off. This issue seems different.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would guess some one who rhino lines a car is not some one who takes care of said car. I bet that gto was a young man’s car and beat to hell and back.
    How much was the car and how much do you have in to it ?

CaptainMusky

He paid 6k for it plus 1700 in the rebuilt tranny, 500 for radiator upcoming and the 125 flash.

CaptainMusky

I would guess some one who rhino lines a car is not some one who takes care of said car. I bet that gto was a young man’s car and beat to hell and back.

Its funny you say that. After he got the car he joined a GTO forum of some sort and the guy he bought it from had posted a video of him doing a burnout and one of the tires blew. It was after this the tranny wouldnt go into 3rd gear which is why he sold it. I still think its a good deal. Looking down south they go for a good deal of money.

Coletrain27

this sounds like something you are way to attached to and gonna be a never ending money pit. sounds like a young kid had it and beat the hell out of it and who knows what has been messed with on the car. just my opinion

CaptainMusky

The kid he got it from was 18 and only had it a month before selling. I dont think it will be a money pit. Those LS engines are pretty damn tough and now that I rebuilt the tranny that should be good to go too. There is nothing else wrong with it. Oh and it hauls ass! Once it going if he decides to sell it he will be money ahead for sure regardless of the rhino lined paint job. These things go for $15k every day of the week. I just got to get him to get rid of that Fiero GT so he can start paying me back for the money I put into it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

this sounds like something you are way to attached to and gonna be a never ending money pit. sounds like a young kid had it and beat the hell out of it and who knows what has been messed with on the car. just my opinion

I hate to agree but I completely agree.
    A 06 with 70k in beautiful condition is going for 15k in an auto. And that’s mint condition beautiful paint and taken care of. Now change that to a manual and add 5k. After paint thatll be 5k if he does it correctly. And God knows what else.
    Don’t be married to a money pit. Some times that motor and Trans will be worth more in a different vehicle. I’m thinking slammed Ford ranger sleeper truck. The listings I see where they are going for 15 have been listed multiple times. Hope all works out. But I’ve had my fair share of money pits that didn’t work out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.