Any GTO experts out there?

• Stanley

If he likes the car and it’s not a daily driver then I see no point in selling. It’s a fun car and that’s why he bought it. Just like my dad has had his 67 firebird since he was 19 and is now 75(original owner) I even learned to drive a stick on that car.

CaptainMusky

If he likes the car and it’s not a daily driver then I see no point in selling. It’s a fun car and that’s why he bought it. Just like my dad has had his 67 firebird since he was 19 and is now 75(original owner) I even learned to drive a stick on that car.

Wow that is super cool to still have that! Awesome. He will drive this thing daily in the summer probably but obviously not in the winter. His daily driver is a pontiac vibe with low miles. My boy likes his pontiacs! LOL It was funny he has 3 pontiacs and we had 4 gmcs until I sold the envoy to his roommate. I figure he should be able to get around 10k for the Fiero. He only paid 2k for it.

CaptainMusky

Once this no starting thing is figured out I just dont see it being a money pit. Its worth well more than he paid so in the end he will come out ahead. Ive seen these things for for approaching 28k with ultra low miles. His I wouldnt consider low, but its under 100k.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Once this no starting thing is figured out I just dont see it being a money pit. Its worth well more than he paid so in the end he will come out ahead. Ive seen these things for for approaching 28k with ultra low miles. His I wouldnt consider low, but its under 100k.

That are a ton listed at 20k right now under 75 on the dash in a manual. Most autos under 60 on the dash are going for 15 to 18k But as a guy who has always had projects I get it. Hopefully the no starting is computer related and not wiring related. Electrical Gremlins are nightmares

Stanley

Even if it becomes somewhat of a money pit look at all the money us fisherman spend on gear and boats. If cars are his thing and he likes the GTO then drive it and enjoy. I have a buddy that’s into import cars and he and some friends go on cruises and trips with them. His Acura NSX was sweet but he sold that and now has a modified Audi station wagon that supposedly beats stock C6’s. Or like you said it’s worth more than he paid for it, could always sell and get something different or upgrade to something nicer if he wants.

CaptainMusky

This has always been his dream car which is why he is so tore up about it not starting. I am sure we will get it figured out and then he can have years of fun. I told him I get to drive it every once in a while in the summer though!

Stanley

If someone isn’t a car person then they just don’t get why we are so passionate about them. I can tell you this after all the years my dad has had his firebird whenever he drives it and opens up the 400 and goes through the gears he is back to the late 60’s and his youth which is priceless.

CaptainMusky

That is so cool! I forgot those had a 400. Man that thing must fly! Well, the reprogrammed ECM has already shipped and will be here Thursday. That was fast!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That is so cool! I forgot those had a 400. Man that thing must fly! Well, the reprogrammed ECM has already shipped and will be here Thursday. That was fast!

Did they just flash the ecm in hopes to eliminate the problem ?
    I’ve been a car guy all my life, I sadly had to part with my 69 chevelle ss that I listed and sold on here. I’ve built and played with cars most my life. I understand the passion.

CaptainMusky

Yeah its a flash to bypass the vehicle anti-theft system. 69 chevelle ss would be sweet too! I wish I had a fraction of the sweet cars my dad had. 69 camaro SS, 67 chevelle SS are the two for sures.

CaptainMusky

Update, not sure if the ECM flash worked or not. The service tech said it wouldnt start for him. I told him to give my son the keys and I would have him check ignition fuse and see if its blown. He calls me since he had a break and went to the car. I asked him if the gauges turned on when he turned the key he said they did. He turns the key to start and it fired right up! He turned it off, then it wouldnt crank again. Weird. I told him to sit in the car, lock the doors, unlock the doors (read this online) and then wait 30 seconds and try and crank it. FIRED RIGHT UP AGAIN!!!! Hes so happy but there is still some kind of gremlin here, but if that little technique with the lock/unlock works consistently he knows what to do.

Stanley

Glad he’s able to get it started and get the radiator fixed so he can drive it with the nicer weather.

CaptainMusky

Glad he’s able to get it started and get the radiator fixed so he can drive it with the nicer weather.

Radiator is getting fixed Monday. Saweet, then he’ll need new tires lol

Stanley

I bet the rears are all flat spotted and dry rotted from sitting waiting on the radiator to be installed. Good call on getting them replaced since we all know it will have nothing to do with the fun pedal rotflol

CaptainMusky

Haha he will drive it for a while before replacing.

CaptainMusky

Car started and drove into service bay and radiator has been replaced. Now it wont start again. Ugh. Even the little trick with locking/unlocking doesnt seem to work. I reached out to the tuning company that I sent the ECM off for the reflash to see if they had any ideas. The gauges light up so I think that eliminates the steering column short leading to blowing the ignition fuse, but we are back at square one now. The tuning guy told me upfront that the reflash may not resolve the issue so he was upfront about that which was great. I hope he has some other ideas. Probably something with the BCM now.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

If it is an automatic transmission I would suspect the park/neutral switch or even the starter relay, and it wouldn’t hurt to put a test light on the purple wire at the ignition switch and see if it lights up when the key is in the start position

CaptainMusky

Jeremy I’ve thought about that too it is an automatic.Ivr read that if you shift to neutral and try starting it that will rule out or tell you if it’s that issue. I’ll tell him to try that tomorrow. So strange.

CaptainMusky

Ha! Turns out they think its relating to the door plunger. The service advisor slammed the door and it started right up. My son went over there and did the same thing and he drove it around. Weird.

JEREMY
    BP

Get your hands on GM Service Bulletin # 09-06-03-004E. 2006 GTO intermittent no start/no crank/ no module communication.

CaptainMusky

Get your hands on GM Service Bulletin # 09-06-03-004E. 2006 GTO intermittent no start/no crank/ no module communication.

Thank you! I just picked him up and he gave me a ride. Holy smokes that car would get me in a lot of trouble. Squeeling the tires in 3rd gear!

CaptainMusky

I shared all those things with my son and told him to keep in his memory banks for future reference. Really appreciate it!

CaptainMusky

I got to drive the GTO on Sunday. hoooboy would I get in trouble with that thing. Then my son went to leave and wouldnt you know it didnt want to crank again LOL. Finally after a few minutes, multiple door slams and lock/unlock scenarios it popped off. Strangest thing I have ever seen.

JEREMY
    BP

I would be scared to go anywhere with that thing for fear of getting stranded.

CaptainMusky

Yeah it is very concerning for sure. At least he was at our house we could have drove him home. I told him that whenever he got gas leave it running and keep a window open. I think he needs to get a new key because the keyless entry doesnt work. That might be part of the dang problem. They do have this weird beep sequence that you have to wait for and there are like 3 positions for the ignition. Off, 1 forward, 2 forward which is run and then start.
    When I drove it I couldnt get it to start either and he said I was waiting too long.

JEREMY
    BP

Never seen a keyed ignition that didnt have 3 positions.

JEREMY
    BP

The RVS System WILL NOT operate if any of the following conditions are present:

A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is set – obtain vehicle DTCs.
    Keyless Entry Transmitter is not Operational.
    The vehicle is in Valet Mode.
    RVS is Disabled through Vehicle Personalization.
    More than 2 Remote Starts have been attempted.
    The HAZARD switch is in the ON position.
    A current HAZARD switch DTC is set.
    A current HOOD AJAR DTC is set.
    Rear compartment lid is ajar.
    Any Door is not locked.
    The Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) system detects an alarm trigger.
    Engine RPM greater than 0 Detected.
    Excessive Coolant TEMP is registered.
    Accelerator pedal position greater than 0 percent.
    Vehicle is not in PARK.
    A current Vehicle Theft Deterrent Malfunction DTC.
    A current Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System DTC is set.
    A vehicle speed sensor signal is detected by the ECM.
    Vehicle power mode is incorrect.

JEREMY
    BP

Maybe put it back to factory settings.Entering Personalization Mode

Personalization Mode is accessed via the Options Menu, which can be displayed when the vehicle is stationary or moving slowly.

If the vehicle is stationary, turn the ignition key on while pressing the MODE button on the trip computer switch. If the MODE button is pressed a 2nd time, the Options Menu disappears and the display reverts back to the previous trip computer function.
    If the vehicle has been started, the System Check completed and the vehicle speed is less than approximately 10 km/h (6 mph), then the Options Menu is displayed for 3 seconds. If the vehicle is driven at more than approximately 10 km/h (6 mph), the Options Menu disappears and the display reverts back to the previous trip computer function.
    With the Options Menu displayed, press the trip computer UP or DOWN button to enter personalization Mode.

When the personalization Mode is entered, the display shows the Help screens. Press the MODE button to advance to the next Help screen and then again to advance to the Restore to Factory Settings screen.

If the message is too big for one screen a 2nd (or 3rd) screen with more information appears once the MODE button is pressed, until the menu item is shown.

In the Options Menu there are no fixed icons displayed around the outside of the main dot matrix area. If an icon is activated while in the Options Menu, that icon is displayed for 2 seconds and then disappears. Once the Options Menu is exited or the vehicle speed is greater than approximately 10 km/h (6 mph) when the Options Menu is locked out, the icons reappear.

Restore to Factory Settings

The Restore to Factory Settings screen is the first item on the Options Menu. This function restores the instrument cluster, the entertainment system and the body control module to the factory default settings.

Use the trip computer switch UP or DOWN button to select Yes or No. Press the MODE button to continue. If Yes is selected as the option, a 2 second delay allows the default parameters to be updated before the next screen is displayed:

If no selection is made at the Restore to Factory Settings screen within 5 seconds, the Help screen message appears.

CaptainMusky

Never seen a keyed ignition that didnt have 3 positions.

I guess I mean 3 forward positions. Nothing backwards.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.