Any Ambush skid house owners?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve been kicking around the idea of picking up a 5×7 or 6×10 model the past few years.

Curious how they hold up? Any issues? Are they worth the price? Any options you would/wouldnt get now that you’ve owned one for awhile? Are the shelves they sell big enough to hold a Livescope shuttle?

I really like Ambush’s layout and that they are wood free…

Any owner input is appreciated

Lost
    Shafer, MN

Not an Ambush owner – my buddy did look at them before we made the decision to go with Pro-Fab. Was mostly a cost/customization factor, the Ambush shacks were right up there with Pro-Fab and Bebergs/Polar Fox.

I have a 6.5×10 Pro Fab Skid which (similar to Ambush) is aluminum frame with composite walls. Extremely easy to heat, not bad to move around, and for keeping up at the cabin it is the way to go for me. Picked it up September of 2021. Been well worth it for taking nieces, nephews, and even getting my 85yo grandfather out on the ice in comfort in subzero temps.

Size-wise, if you plan to fish solo most of the time and do a lot of run & gun, the smaller size will be easier to fit on a trailer and move around. If you fish multiple people or plan to keep it on the same lake, the larger size would be nice.

Only thing I’d change is getting mounting boards all the way around right from the start. I’ll be adding them this spring/summer, but it would have been easier to just have them. I did add a jackknife sofa and will be figuring out a different heater than just a Buddy, but I wasn’t sure the Truma was worth the additional expense and many of the vented heaters are pretty heavy.

If you bring a generator with, forced air can be nice to move air and dry things out. If you are planning to be out in the boonies, solar and an empire/martin direct vent would probably work better.

I’ll be testing out one of the cheap diesel heaters for my shack in the next few weeks. Would be nice to not need propane when I already have to have diesel at the cabin for the tractor.

I did pick up one of the ambush swivel hitches to use for my skid. It will make hooking up with the ranger much easier than trying to get it perfectly aligned.

Attachments:
    1. 2024-01-18-16_43_30-Photo-Google-Photos.png

JoeMX1825
    MN

I appreciate the reply!

So was a big buddy heater not enough? I’m looking to simplify everything in the house and figured a big buddy heater that just clamps onto a mounting board would be easiest vs a wall mounted furnace as I could just remove it if added heat isn’t needed? I can’t even use a small buddy heater in my thermal Otter cabin as it gets way too hot in there…. (I realize a 5×7 or 6×10 house is alot more area to heat) but I don’t need it to be a sauna in there…

I haven’t decided on 5’x7′ or 6’x10′ yet…I will keep it on the shoreline of my cabin when not using it…

Aboxy17

Not an owner but I have fished in a pro fab 5×6 skid shack and was super impressed. Thing only weighs 390 pounds and is short enough to fit in an enclosed trailer. Very basic yet functional layout, it’s basically like fishing with a flipover. The one big downside is not having enough height to stand.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

The regular buddy heater is more than enough. Most of the time I have it running on low.

The reason to try other heaters is for dry heat and to try and gain space since I could mount it under the jackknife sofa. Not a requirement by any means, just something to tinker with for the shack.

If you aren’t transporting then I personally would lean towards the 6×10. Nice to have extra room.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.