Any advice?

• Tom Poturica

Hi,

A group of 8 of us are heading up to Leech June 2nd, thru the next week.

We’ll be staying near Pine Point. At that time of the year, will jig/minnow still be the ticket? (for walleyes) Or, will crawlers/leeches be working?

How’s the temperature of the water? Will we need to fish deeper than 10-12 feet? Trolling flicker shads?

Thanks for any help.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Leech and a Lindy rig was the ticket yesterday. 7 to 9 ft kept fish 18 ” to 19.5″ Big fish 28″

Bartman

am heading up tomorrow for a week. will let you know whats up.

Tom Poturica

am heading up tomorrow for a week. will let you know whats up.

That would be great!
    Thanks,
    Have a good trip!

Crappy Fisherman

We stay at Pine Point, Brindley’s every year the second week of June, 9-16th this year. The first weekend of June is the Walleye tournament so good luck. We find them mostly off the first break 9 to 15 ft. West Grand flates and outer edge of Stoney Point. Slow Death, cranks, Lindy rig with Leeches. Pine point at night with jig and leeches or slip bobber. Speed depends on water temp. Cranks at 2.0 seem to work best at night. Crawlers work but the perch will really chew them up. We use Gulp night crawlers.

folke2000

Fished off of Stoney Point yesterday. 8 1/2 feet with a jig and shiner. Anything Chartreuse and / orange seemed to be the right color.

Tom Poturica

I’ve been watching the weather, Leech has been having some warm day time temps. Will this cause the water temps to rise dramatically and cause the fish to go deep(er)?
    Will leeches out fish minnows next week? Lindy rigs instead of jigs?

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

I’m heading up the evening of the 30th, staying on Pine Point. I’ll post up what’s working for me sometime late this week.

My guess is that we’ll see fish start sliding out into the 9-13 foot range, depending on the available cover and bottom substrates.

I still expect jig/minnow to produce (always seems to on Leech) but might end up pulling spinners to cover water as our search pattern.

tradersbayrookie

Water temps this weekend were already in the 65-67 degree range where we fished that’s a 20 degree warmup from the temps I found on opened. Why wife and I went out for a few hours on Saturday night and had a great night pulling lindys. If our success rates this weekend were any indication, I would be pulling lindys and leeches for the foreseeable future. Not to say you won’t catch with jig and a minnow, it was my experience that the fish are further along in their progression than the late thaw would have us believe. Good luck out there, and let us know how you fair.

Attachments:
    1. 20180526_210404.jpg

2. 15187.jpeg

3. 15217.jpeg

Tom Poturica

Me and 7 other guys get to Walker/Leech Saturday June 2nd.. I’m looking forward to seeing how much higher the water temps get between now and then.

Tradersbayrookie, can I assume you caught those nice fish in Traders Bay? lol
    Will the warming water by next week make minnows and jigs a waste of time? Trolling flicker shads and lindy rigs would be our best bet?
    I’m concerned we’ll have to go quite a bit deeper than we planned….

tradersbayrookie

Ha! Yeah, you can assume that, Tom. Let’s say it was on the outer edge.

I couldn’t keep my spot tails alive, so my hand was forced on the bait over memorial weekend (probably for the best). I would definitely have minnows in the arsenal, but let the fish tell you what they like.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Im heading up this weekend and planned on fishing Leech for two days. Im a little bummed to learn of the tourney, might have to switch to Mon/tues. Regardless, I plan on keeping it simple and start out rigging leeches with minnows as a plan b.
    Supposed to cool down on Saturday with a chance of storms then warming back up.
    I’m getting pretty excited, first “real Walleye outing” of the year.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

TBR, would you say they were more into early June patterns then?

My in-laws are on pine point, so I was thinking of some of the structure near there that turns hot as we transition into June…

Tom Poturica

We stay at Pine Point, Brindley’s every year the second week of June, 9-16th this year. The first weekend of June is the Walleye tournament so good luck. We find them mostly off the first break 9 to 15 ft. West Grand flates and outer edge of Stoney Point. Slow Death, cranks, Lindy rig with Leeches. Pine point at night with jig and leeches or slip bobber. Speed depends on water temp. Cranks at 2.0 seem to work best at night. Crawlers work but the perch will really chew them up. We use Gulp night crawlers.

I’ve heard the temperature has been in the 80’s up there. Will that drive the fish deep(er)?
    I should think the bite will change from minnows to leeches/crawlers on lindy rigs?
    thanks for the advice.

tradersbayrookie

I would focus more on the cosistency of the air temps leading up to your trip and during your trip(which is promising). 80 degree air temp is actually a drop in temp compared to last weekend. I believe the water temps are going to drive fish shallow or deeper along with forage, not the air temp.

Imo minnows always have a place In my boat when on leech, they will produce year round, but there may be better options any given weekend. Just gotta throw the whole box at em and let the fish tell you what they want. Sounds like your going up with 8 guys, probably 3 boats? Shouldn’t take too long to develop a program.

You’ll also have a bunch of pros out there, nothing wrong with getting some free schooling watching their tactics. I know I have in years past over this weekend.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Temps have dropped off quite a bit. Bite has been a bit finnicky as a result. Fishing was pretty good out on some of the mid lake humps, but winds can make that an unpleasant ride to get there. Worth it imo.

Crappy Fisherman

Best advice for Leech, fish the wind. Look at the week before you go and base your starting strategy on that. Wind direction,air temp, water temp. Time on the water will fill in the blanks. Been out there in perfect weather and got skunked. Best day on Leech we ever had got 8 over 24 in 45 minutes, middle of June, 80 degrees, no wind, brite sun in 8 ft. of water. If you figure it out let me know.Any help is appreciated.

Bartman

Fished all last week using jig and shiners and leeches. Both caught fish but only when the wind blew. Never fished deeper than 8 feet. Starting to see a few may flies. Caught fish in the evening trolling shadraps.

Tom Faklis

Had a tough week but finally figured them out.lindy rig with a leech took fish in 7 to 10 feet.
    Trolled with flicker shads in the evening or when calm and found fish.
    Pine, hardwoods but duck was the best.

Attachments:
    1. 2018060895135213951528485509971.jpg

Tom Faklis

Another
    Caught several 22 inch plus. Finding eaters was hard.

Attachments:
    1. 2018060595112842951528228176450.jpg

Crappy Fisherman

Did pretty good 6/9 to 6/16. Best spot was 2nd Duck Point, lots of slot fish. Had to work for eaters but ended up with 2 fish frys. My wife out fished me as usual. Lindys with leeches(6 ft.) were the ticket. When the wind blew in 8 to 10 ft. When it blew out 12 to 15 ft.

Attachments:
    1. 3E13E94F-7040-443B-9197-BD10F8AB9EE0.jpeg

2. E7FB5253-2616-4EA0-9225-327A5848C852.jpeg

Mike Thompson

Anyone willing to show a picture of how they’re setting on their Lindy rigs for Leech Lake? I know some set theirs up a little different, so I’m looking for a few examples (weight, snell length, any beeds, spinners, etc.) THANK YOU! ~GPO

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

always had the best luck up there early and late. leach under a slipbobber hot ticket if lindy isn’t turning them.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.