Another transom saver thread

• isu22andy

The lower unit on my boat keeps cutting through the transom saver rubber and hammering on the bolt that holds it together . What gives here ? This is the second one I’ve replaced in a year . Am I putting too much force on it ? I always just do it till the tone changes on the pump . I assume there’s gotta be a harder rubber out there but ??? Aint much room till the bolt I’ll tell ya that .

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0134-1.jpeg

2. IMG_0135-1-scaled.jpeg

isu22andy

Pictures didn’t load on first post

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0134.jpeg

2. IMG_0135-scaled.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The metal brackets are bent open causing all the load to be applied directly on the center of the “V”. Depending on how strong the brackets are you may be able to just bend them back so that the sides of the “V” are carrying the load. Unfortunately I doubt that will last long. I just think it’s a crappy design.

Something more like this will solve the problem.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0141.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not sure what size outboard we’re talking here but I use a wedge on my 75 hp 4-stroke merc. Years ago I used a traditional saver like the ones shown but the mechanic talked me into a wedge when I bought the boat instead. About the same price, a lot smaller, same results.

isu22andy

Not sure what size outboard we’re talking here but I use a wedge on my 75 hp 4-stroke merc. Years ago I used a traditional saver like the ones shown but the mechanic talked me into a wedge when I bought the boat instead. About the same price, a lot smaller, same results.

It’s an 05 Yamaha 150 . On a 05 hull and stock transom .

Stanley

I also use a “my wedge” transom saver. Had one on my 115 and now on my 150. I don’t know if they are any better than your setup but you wouldn’t have the issues you’re having.

michael keehr

Put me in the my wedge camp. I run a pair of them on my 225 merc.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I use the one like Biggill on my 115 and no issues.

Michael Best

This is the one I use. It’s made by Atwood. Works perfectly.
    I have a Suzuki 150 hp.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3996.png

stevenoak

I use the one like Biggill on my 115 and no issues.

I use the same. Think the v-block model is better for smaller outboard, without power tilt to power into it.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Yes I ditched lower unit ruiners (transom savers) after the same happened to mine. 2×4 is the way and the light . My wedge is doodoo in the cold.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The 115hp on the fishing boat gets the transom saver that Biggill posted without any issues.

The 150hp on the tritoon gets the wedge/rubber block (don’t remember the brand) as it sits higher on the bunk trailer and can be towed with it trimmed 100% down with clearance. The block holds it up just a bit to give the tilt/trim a break.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I had one on my old boat that the OP has. I stuck a piece of folded towel in the “V” to protect it from the bolt. My new boat has the M-Y Wedge. Need to watch the temps though. I’ve struggled to get mine off a few times when it’s cold.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have always used a transom saver . Bar attached to trailer to lower unit . Everything else is for hydraulics . My Alumacraft owners manual said to use a transom savor , not the hydraulic savor . In my last boat (39) years had a transom savor worked like it should . Mine goes up just under the cavitation plate . In your pic looks like it is just above the gear case . Really do not know if that makes any difference ? But i installed my Shoreland,r brand yesterday and dealer told me not to mount it where yours is , had me mount just under cavitation plate .

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

You can see how mine is in Alumacraft, Picked up new Voyageur

isu22andy

You can see how mine is in Alumacraft, Picked up new Voyageur

Interesting – maybe mine is way too low . Thanks for posting

OG Net_Man

I would focus on the amount of pressure that you are applying to it when lowering your motor. I would say that you are applying too much force.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This is the one I use. It’s made by Atwood. Works perfectly.
    I have a Suzuki 150 hp.

That one also transfers the force to the sides which is ideal.

I would focus on the amount of pressure that you are applying to it when lowering your motor. I would say that you are applying too much force.

The OPs transom saver concentrates all the load to the center of the “V” causing it to split. This style is just going to slip down during transport from vibration, causing it to put more pressure on itself. It probably won’t matter how much press you put on it. Its just a terrible design.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.