Annual sucker run thread

With highs forecasted in the 60s this week, my mind continues to wander to a sunny day, lawn chair, and a half a nightcrawler on the bottom.

Had a friend that went to Minnehaha the other day and did well with carp, so I’m guessing that the run is getting very close. Will probably check out some nearby creeks today or tomorrow. Anybody been scouting yet?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve had suckers on the mind. Shouldn’t be too long now. Gotta thaw the ground so we can dig some worms!

Bob Bowman
    MN

No suckers yet but the carp are willing to eat a gob of worms 😀

Attachments:
    1. 20210307_124721.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I track a run near my cabin in NW wisconsin. It’s usually end of April sometimes even into May. I’m interested to see where it lands this year.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

At least a month to go around here. When we see the first Dandelion in the yard is when we go catch some Suckers.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I grew up fishing suckers. Its been way to long since I fished them. I may have to make a point to get out this spring. They are yummy smoked. I prefer Redhorse but suckers are good as well.

ThunderLund78

I’ve never really done this but figured it would be a great way to scratch the itch for me and my boys. We live near the MN river in the far south Metro. I assume any tributary creek might give you a good shot once they start to run? Is it a typical crawler on the bottom set-up?

Streams are high with the snowmelt but that should start to ease over the next few weeks barring any heavy precip.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I assume any tributary creek might give you a good shot once they start to run? Is it a typical crawler on the bottom set-up?

About as basic as you can get. A hook with a gob of crawlers and a weight fished at the mouth of a creek with the rod held in a forked stick. Toss out, reel up slack, and watch the tip for a sign of a pick up. Pick up the rod and set the hook – Repeat !!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Then get ready for the 13 second fight! jester Seriously, I timed it on several red horse and that was about it when they quit pulling. Except for the hogs. Those can get exciting on light gear.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Then get ready for the 13 second fight! jester Seriously, I timed it on several red horse and that was about it when they quit pulling. Except for the hogs. Those can get exciting on light gear.

Its been a lot of years since I last fished them. I always thought they were a rather good battle. Then again I had rather light tackle and always caught them in some current.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Yeah that’s what’s great about them besides being good cut bait- about twice the fight of your average walleye.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

To piggyback ThunderLund, does anyone have luck in metro area? Guess I was under the assumption it was more of a northern MN thing

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

To piggyback ThunderLund, does anyone have luck in metro area?

For sure. I’ve had luck on the Crow.

Bob Bowman
    MN

It’s starting…

Attachments:
    1. 20210320_142936.jpg

2. 20210321_143705.jpg

3. 20210320_143043.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice, Bob! The kids are on spring break next week. I’m going to have them dig worms this weekend. waytogo

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Spring suckers are so firm and healthy looking. You would think they could make a good filet. Anyone eat them like regular fish?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Anyone eat them like regular fish?

I have never tried, but you’re right, it’s firm, white flesh. I did grind them into fish patties once, and they were pretty good.

Last year, a Russian woman watched my son land one and was appalled that we were going to throw it back, so we gifted it to her. I didn’t ask how she was going to prepare it.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

They’re supposed to be great to eat, but are bony. I’m going to try to get some to pressure can this spring.

I canned some pike this winter and it is fantastic.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Got a few more tonight. If there good eats, I don’t know? Maybe have to keep one and try it.

Attachments:
    1. 20210326_181447.jpg

2. 20210326_181403.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Those red horse suckers sure do have a nice color. They are actually a sign of healthy water way too because they can’t live in polluted waters.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We dug some worms this morning but got skunked this afternoon. The river we fished was way lower than last spring. I couldn’t believe the difference. The wind was brutal, too.

I did see a toad, garter snake, and leopard frog–definite signs of spring.

We’ll be back at it soon.

Deuces

Went thru a dozen crawlers today, and being it’s early cold water sucker fishing it means I only caught about 2 lol.

I find I catch more with a small red bead on top of hook. Not sure why, but it’s just a pattern I’ve found over the years.

Bit early yet, it’ll turn on. Few nice carp found there way in to, always a fun bonus. Everytime I think I want to go to a light setup to have more fun with the suckers I catch one of those and would get wrecked on light gear in skinny snaggy water.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210329_184202651-scaled.jpg

ThunderLund78

I’ve never specifically targeted them but I’m always amazed how delicate of a fish they are. You’d think a fish that lives off of whatever it can find on the bottom of rivers would be a hearty animal, but when we get them as by-catch at the rainy when sturgeon fishing, about half end up floating. not sure why, they’re not swallowing an 8/0 Circle hook )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Maybe it’s a depth thing? I’ve never found them to be fragile, but I generally don’t catch them out of deep water.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m curious too what depth you are catching them because I have always found suckers to be extremely hardy. Like unkillable.

ThunderLund78

Well, it’s the rainy river so maybe 15 ft. not sure what would cause it but a good number of the ones we catch don’t recover well – specifically redhorse. Sucker minnows are not the heartiest summer minnow in the bait bucket either. I try to weight my bucket so it hangs down 4-5 ft in cooler water away from surface pollution but the stress of a bait tank to bucket transfer and living in a minnow bucket is a lot for them. Probably because they’re larger. In the winter they seem to live forever though.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Duplicate post

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Well, it’s the rainy river so maybe 15 ft. not sure what would cause it but a good number of the ones we catch don’t recover well – specifically redhorse. Sucker minnows are not the heartiest summer minnow in the bait bucket either. I try to weight my bucket so it hangs down 4-5 ft in cooler water away from surface pollution but the stress of a bait tank to bucket transfer and living in a minnow bucket is a lot for them. Probably because they’re larger. In the winter they seem to live forever though.

All my redhorse are caught under 5 feet so that might explain it. You’re right about suckerer minnows. I forgot about that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.