An ice adventure to a familiar place

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Sometimes, a true adventure can be worth every bit as much, or if not more, than catching fish themselves. It’s a bonus when the two come together and make a great trip. For guys like myself, it’s what I live for. Adventure is in my heart and soul.

It was through IDO that I met QB. We both share this adventurous spirit, and so far, it’s allowed us to put together some pretty cool trips. Last week, I got a call from a good buddy down south. The gist of the call was, “get down here”. I called up Quintin, we made the arrangements, and pointed my F-150 south.

Long before James Holst and crew ever took a step on central Kansas’s hallowed water, the sunflower state has called to me, sweet talking me into many trips that direction. It’s a wide open, sparse farm county with pastel painted skies. It’s locals are friendly and welcoming. It’s just like my South Dakota home, and maybe that’s why I’m so drawn to it. Over the years, I’ve worked for the KDWPT – collecting walleye eggs during the spawn. I’ve made friends, fished with some new folks, and of course, met the almighty white crappie. I love this state, I love the people, and I love the adventure it all provides.

Now onto the fishing. We iced many nice fish over 2 days. Many of which were in the trophy class. Here are a few examples:

An Otter sunrise

Quintin with a stud

Myself with a donkey

A sundown giant in the Otter

A crappie dual-threat!

The ice was good in areas, and very unsafe/dangerous in others. This is absolutely not a trip for those inexperienced on ice. We found 2″ ice just feet from 7″ ice. There is a ton of open water and very crazy heaves/cracks.

If you think this was a cool trip, just wait to you see what we have up our sleeve next. Adjective, epic? We’ll see.

Andy

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Tuned Up Noodles were worth their weight in gold. The fish were found extremely negative and took some coaxing. VMC Pug Bugs and Tungsten Tubby Jigs rigged with Trigger-X Panfish Minnows were the hot presentations. Fish were found relating to creek channel ledges and drilling holes with the SM Solo 142 Lazer was the key to staying on top of them.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I should also add, that the forecast for the coming week looks awful for safe ice. If anyone is venturing down that way, please use extreme caution! An ATV went through last week.

Josh Gunderson

I was hoping to get out tomorrow and fish there. A lot of the people I’ve talked to said fish the westside of the lake. I was curious what spots worked best for you guys.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Great info on a fantastic fishery Andy !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.