An FYI for Mille Lacs resort owners

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FYI- pulled from a facebook post.

“Mille Lacs Area Tourism Council
    Sponsored ·

Don’t miss the hot smallmouth bite on MN’s Lake Mille Lacs this fall! After the Bassmaster Angler of the Year tournament, the bass-fishing world knows the lake is a fantastic smallmouth fishery. Come and have a blast catching yours!”

Years of passion and tradition dissolving. I get it totally.

Who else has looked the laws in the face and gone to court over it? Not I.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Walleye reigns supreme for that lake. No two ways about it. Bass n’ Ski’ guys gonna save the lake (thus the resorts…)? That is laughable…RR

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Walleye reigns supreme for that lake. No two ways about it. Bass n’ Ski’ guys gonna save the lake (thus the resorts…)? That is laughable…RR

Been a lot of walleye guys keeping the lights on since 9-6-16?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>roosterrouster wrote:</div>

Huh? ???

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A weak reference to the Walleye closure I’m guessing.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr. Derek wrote:</div>

<strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye reigns supreme for that lake. No two ways about it. Bass n’ Ski’ guys gonna save the lake (thus the resorts…)? That is laughable…RR

Huh? ???

With walleye season closed I’m guessing the resorts aren’t getting a lot of business from walleye fishermen.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr. Derek wrote:</div>

<strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye reigns supreme for that lake. No two ways about it. Bass n’ Ski’ guys gonna save the lake (thus the resorts…)? That is laughable…RR

Huh? ???

With walleye season closed I’m guessing the resorts aren’t getting a lot of business from walleye fishermen.

Yes good point…Lot’s of $3 Coors Lights and meatloaf/mashed potatoes n’ gravy dinners that are not being sold…RR

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’m not sure what’s got everyone’s undies in such a bunch this morning but this whole chain of posts collectively seems like the online equivalent of a crabby person yelling at the neighborhood kids to “Get off my lawn!”

Back to the original post… I do think that Chubby has a good point that it would make sense for resorts to do anything and everything that they can to capitalize off of the recent tournament. While perhaps this year is a special case, I think the lack of current reports is much more a function of the time of year than the species of fish. Once Labor Day passes for the most part the resorts are pretty much empty and they switch quickly from normal operations (such as posting frequent reports) into shutting down for the season mode and they really spend very little time on the water. Go back in history and you will notice very few reports during the Fall on any year until ice fishing picks back up.

I also think it’s a sign of the times that with the prevalence of social media these days things such as long-form online fishing reports are being quickly replaced by Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Lastly, it’s a bit surprising how entitled everyone thinks they are to free information on the internet. Did anyone actually think of picking up the phone and calling a resort to ask them in person how the fishing has been? Perhaps I’m in the minority but I still actually like to pick up the phone and talk to them in person.

Will

munchy
    NULL

Why is it when Red took a dump all the resort owners, locals, fishermen, and tribe banded together to fix the problem.

Now Mille Lacs takes a dump and everyone is pointing fingers and blaming everyone else but themselves.

Think about it…

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Why is it when Red took a dump all the resort owners, locals, fishermen, and tribe banded together to fix the problem.

Now Mille Lacs takes a dump and everyone is pointing fingers and blaming everyone else but themselves.

Think about it…

Big difference…Red DIDN’T have fish. Mille Lacs DOES…RR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Lastly, it’s a bit surprising how entitled everyone thinks they are to free information on the internet.

I’m honestly surprised that in 2016 this surprises you.

People can get news without buying a newspaper, post a classified ad without paying a penny, and have a one-hour video call with someone on another continent for free and it surprises you that people expect free information on the internet?

In our business, we give out free information on our website and through social media as a way of engaging our customers and providing “social proof” that we are in touch with their needs. In 2016, this is marketing 101. I don’t view it as a potential customer feeling entitled to free information, I view it as an opportunity to attract, interact, and engage.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m surprised it surprises you that it surprises him.

We live in the age of entitlement. Something I was taught to avoid.

The Information Age was once a place in time where we would find information. Now it’s the time to demand it. And if we don’t get what we want, bitch and complain until you think you feel better.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And another thing. Get off my lawn!

grin

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

And another thing. Get off my lawn!

grin

Attachments:
    1. Grumpy_Old_Men_32370_Medium.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<edit>

celebrate a fishing guide who consistently posts useful fishing reports and information leaving a fishing website. Total fishing reports from those 3 in the last 6 months = 0. waytogo waytogo doah doah

ps WIll that gave me a good laugh!

chubby
    Bloomington

I am a little amazed at how many people are looking negatively at my simple suggestion to the resort/ business owners in a fishing destination to spend a couple minutes a week to give potential customers a current fishing report.

We did go up for 2 days on Sunday and Monday and we did launch at a public access. It was however next to Mcquoids where we stayed and here is a recap of my economic impact.
    Room with dock and dog $119.00
    Bait/tackle at 2 establishments on the lake $30.00
    Dinner at the Wharf w tip $44.00
    Breakfast in Isle $13.00
    Boat Snaks at Johnsons $12.00
    Dairy Queen in Onamia $7.00
    Total $225.00

Wife landing 2 smallmouths over 20″ on 4 lb line Priceless!

We used the public access but still dropped over $200.00 at 7 different businesses at the lake.

I do not mind driving and spending money but it is nice to get a few tibits of current info to help put a game plan together prior to arrival. If you are a resort owner at mille lacs and you have not updated your fishing report for 3 months then shame on you and your business will suffer as a result and that has absolutely nothing to do with the DNR or the netting.

PS the guy sitting next to us at dinner caught a 49″ musky that day trolling in his pontoon with his wife and dog.

To recap if the wife can land smallmouths over 20″ and you can catch 49″ muskies trolling out of a pontoon, now pay attention here!

YOU SHOULD BE TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT IT!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

I’m surprised it surprises you that it surprises him.

We live in the age of entitlement. Something I was taught to avoid.

The Information Age was once a place in time where we would find information. Now it’s the time to demand it. And if we don’t get what we want, bitch and complain until you think you feel better.

yeah…I’m kind of with Grouse here. I don’t think its entitlement at all…It’s more of free and smart advertisement. A business needs to stay with the times or they are going to fail. and social media is an extremely easy and free source to accomplish that.

Is it any wonder why virtually no resort in this entire region even bothers to post a regular report? Mille Lacs isn’t alone on this. I’m guessing because there’s no real benefit.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

What is the benefit to the resort to spend the extra time? People would get the report online and use a public launch. Why stop in to a resort to question current conditions? Maybe I’m old school but I think talking to a person will get more questions answered and a more detailed report. Once ice rolls around resorts start to report current ice conditions. Those reports get people in the door because it is basically their only option to get around on the lake.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What is the benefit to the resort to spend the extra time?

The benefit is eyes on your website that advertises your business instead of the eyes on someone else’s Facebook page or some other website.

You are correct, when it comes to launching options, the Mille Lacs visitor DOES have other choices. Show me a business that has NO competition.

So as a business owner, why would you NOT want the potential customer to visit YOUR site and see what YOU have to offer? Brand presence is everything when the consumer has many other choices. How many of those customers that visit your site for a report might then decide, well a launch there is only $XX and they have better parking. And a restaurant so I don’t have to make another stop. And I guess there’s gas there too…

If it were my business, I’d be a lot less concerned about the blame game and a lot more concerned about finding innovative ways to work with what I have. I applaud the places that ARE trying to do something different rather than just yell at the internet and the cameras.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Fish pictures and other resort (or area) activities pull in a very large numbers of anglers.

I’m sure many of you folks remember talking about the October Full Moon bite months ahead of time. The more people talking about it, the more that end up going. Just need someone to spark the flame.

Although replacing walleye folk with bass and ski folk may be laughable, it pays for at least the smaller bills.
    Of course there will be a few that try posting a couple times and give up but consistent reports over time (with photos) will drive sales.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As Grouse just posted, “Let’s think of a way it CAN be done”.

blank

What is the benefit you ask? How about just the simple, easy, exposure of your business. Just posting a weekly report of a couple of sentences to keep things current will show that you’re engaged and active, thus keeping your name and brand in the forefront of prospective customers. Then when those prospective customers decide they want to make a weekend trip to ML (or any other lake) they have a familiar resort/business name that they can visit over a place that they’ve never heard of before. Posting a weekly update on FB, maybe with a couple of pictures of fish, sunsets, loons, whatever, would literally take no more than 5 minutes and would be completely free.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

What is the benefit to the resort to spend the extra time? People would get the report online and use a public launch. Why stop in to a resort to question current conditions? Maybe I’m old school but I think talking to a person will get more questions answered and a more detailed report. Once ice rolls around resorts start to report current ice conditions. Those reports get people in the door because it is basically their only option to get around on the lake.

How much time do you think it takes to type up a fishing report? 2 minutes? Maybe 3. From the sounds of it they have plenty of time on their hands with zero business to keep them busy. Surely if they have the time to rant about the politics going on up there they have the time to type up a fishing report. You may question the benefit as much as you want, and there is argument to be made that it wouldn’t bring them any business necessarily, but I fail to see the detriment to their business if they do post a report. Its either going to help them or it will cost them 2 minutes of their time, it certainly wont hurt them – I know what I would choose as a business owner. Im with those who say adapt or die. Its sad that people see this as losing a way of life in that region, and certainly there is plenty of blame to pass around, but whats done is done – adapt or die. Seems most people in that region are choosing the later, but I don’t pay a lot of attention to the situation that’s just my perception from reading things online so I could be wrong.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>beardly wrote:</div>

How much time do you think it takes to type up a fishing report? 2 minutes? Maybe 3. From the sounds of it they have plenty of time on their hands with zero business to keep them busy. Surely if they have the time to rant about the politics going on up there they have the time to type up a fishing report. You may question the benefit as much as you want, and there is argument to be made that it wouldn’t bring them any business necessarily, but I fail to see the detriment to their business if they do post a report. Its either going to help them or it will cost them 2 minutes of their time, it certainly wont hurt them – I know what I would choose as a business owner. Im with those who say adapt or die. Its sad that people see this as losing a way of life in that region, and certainly there is plenty of blame to pass around, but whats done is done – adapt or die. Seems most people in that region are choosing the later, but I don’t pay a lot of attention to the situation that’s just my perception from reading things online so I could be wrong.

And ranting about the whole blame game with certainly bring in new customers doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I am a little amazed at how many people are looking negatively at my simple suggestion to the resort/ business owners in a fishing destination to spend a couple minutes a week to give potential customers a current fishing report.

We did go up for 2 days on Sunday and Monday and we did launch at a public access. It was however next to Mcquoids where we stayed and here is a recap of my economic impact.
    Room with dock and dog $119.00
    Bait/tackle at 2 establishments on the lake $30.00
    Dinner at the Wharf w tip $44.00
    Breakfast in Isle $13.00
    Boat Snaks at Johnsons $12.00
    Dairy Queen in Onamia $7.00
    Total $225.00

Wife landing 2 smallmouths over 20″ on 4 lb line Priceless!

We used the public access but still dropped over $200.00 at 7 different businesses at the lake.

I do not mind driving and spending money but it is nice to get a few tibits of current info to help put a game plan together prior to arrival. If you are a resort owner at mille lacs and you have not updated your fishing report for 3 months then shame on you and your business will suffer as a result and that has absolutely nothing to do with the DNR or the netting.

PS the guy sitting next to us at dinner caught a 49″ musky that day trolling in his pontoon with his wife and dog.

To recap if the wife can land smallmouths over 20″ and you can catch 49″ muskies trolling out of a pontoon, now pay attention here!

YOU SHOULD BE TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT IT!

Congrats on a great trip, and thanks for supporting the local businesses! There are plenty of trophy’s to be had up there right now!

Kyhl
    Savage

It may not take long to type up a report but how many ma & pa resorts are able to maintain and update a website? It is likely that they would type something up, then send it to an administrator who will update the site for a fee. The weekly fee and update delay would be burdensome. Unless they can find a young family member to administer the site for free.

Facebook is free to them and hopefully they are using it.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ve gotten a few chuckles out of this one. Thanks op.

Google “walleye” sometime.

About a million articles, hundreds of books, fricken tons of reports, and years of all of it.

Who calls ahead for a report? Lol
    Is it necessary to catch a fish? Uh, No!

Just go fishing.
    Catch fish, feel the reward.

Go to lake and what do you see, walleye boats doing the monkey see monkey do. Hey, they’re jigging and not catching anything…I will too!
    I love these groups, I can quickly count the man hours and lack of activity I.e. fish caught, and then start trying something the big group isn’t doing to actually find success. Rarely these groups are on good fishing, but I’ll quickly join if there’s always a bent rod.
    See, even a report can happen while on the water observing others.

I cannot begin to fathom how easily one could catch a sturgeon or catfish (my typical targets, though I did eat fresh caught walleye yesterday) if the amount of information available was even a fraction of walleye… Yet, it doesn’t bother me… Because at the end of the day, I feel the reward…. And without the agony of defeat there would be no thrill in victory!

Literally I grin when I hit the water seeking my next fish and laugh at the thought of someone ‘giving a report’ to point me in the right direction.

Just tell me a lake has a fishable population… That’s all the info I’m looking for. A good strategy and the rest will fall into place. That’s fun!! And, makes you a better fisherman to boot.

But yes, to be competitive in the walleye world, one must have an update at least every day… Even though it’s just a repeat of everything said over the last twenty years.

I digress… But i think it fits all the tangents found on this page.

lundojam

Mr. Fellegy, I feel your pain. It sucks to see the big pond faring so poorly like so many predicted it would. I know what it is like to love a body of water. It is painful as hell to see resorters struggling. I’m only saying that when the corn market goes south, plant beans. Or oats. The problem was caused by a combination of things; I believe the solution for the resorters lies partly in marketing. There are definitely opportunities.

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Will Roseberg wrote:</div>
    Lastly, it’s a bit surprising how entitled everyone thinks they are to free information on the internet.

People can get news without buying a newspaper, post a classified ad without paying a penny, and have a one-hour video call with someone on another continent for free and it surprises you that people expect free information on the internet?

In our business, we give out free information on our website and through social media as a way of engaging our customers and providing “social proof” that we are in touch with their needs. In 2016, this is marketing 101. I don’t view it as a potential customer feeling entitled to free information, I view it as an opportunity to attract, interact, and engage.

Grouse

That is it in a nut shell.

The constant negative press is an old gray hairs mentality and not really helping anything. In MN there are a lot of good options, it’s a competitive market. Who wants to go to a lake where there’s such a negative vibe all the way around? Yeah, your competent angler who makes it work no matter what won’t care about all that. But the resort money comes from good vibrations.

Grouse pm’d me about some food plot information and it was a great way to plant a seed of information for the future. The food plots took a back seat to a kid’s surgery this year. But he provided great information and will be ordering seed from him next year just off his attitude. When he helps people who ask questions in a public open forum, he’s giving information to help the person. Seems he understands that your attitude goes a long, long ways to building bridges and relationships vs taking the easy path. Long term it leads to trust. There’s no trust in the whole mille lacs fiasco from all parties involved.

The treaty ain’t going anywhere. I don’t like it, but it’s reality.

The lake cycles.

It’s heavily fished.

Pressure on spawning fish is a reality, be it from netting, spearing or angling. Yeah we all know the stats, but perception is more important than reality for the general public and politicians.

The dnr is inept and caught in a spiral of ignorance. And not all of it is their fault, nor can they fix the lake through regulations alone. It’s a fluid dynamic with no easy fix, socially or through resource management.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘An FYI for Mille Lacs resort owners’ is closed to new replies.