Ammunition Suppliers

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    Schools don’t supply ammo anywhere that I’m aware of. The MN HS Clay Target League gets ammo allocations directly from manufacturers through a variety of youth shooting sports programs and then the Teams order ammo that the parents can purchase from this allocation.

I may be misrepresenting what our school is actually doing. It is probably not the school per se arranging for the ammo, but we have to pay a fee for the year’s worth of ammo and the coaches bring it to the range each day they shoot. The parents dont have to do anything.

Ours follows this approach – but it is not technically all the school. It is a school district sanctioned Club. It’d be comparable to the bowling team, the Bass Fishing team, etc. It is run very differently than say the football, basketball, or wrestling teams.

The information is handed out at school. The coaches have to pass a school issued background check. The school will collect the fees and give them to the club. The club manages the range time (usually Sunday afternoon), handles purchasing the ammo using the school’s tax exempt status. Students still have to follow the extra-curricular code of conduct with grades, chemical violations, and so on.

It seems to have worked well. We are probably on year 12 or so now locally. Kids show up at the range on Sundays and have a great time. It doesn’t interfere with any other sports/activities.

CaptainMusky

Ours follows this approach – but it is not technically all the school. It is a school district sanctioned Club. It’d be comparable to the bowling team, the Bass Fishing team, etc. It is run very differently than say the football, basketball, or wrestling teams.

100% correct. Its an MSHSL sanctioned sport, but not managed by the schools themselves.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

100% correct. Its an MSHSL sanctioned sport, but not managed by the schools themselves.

Trap shooting is not a MSHSL sanctioned sport.

MSHSL rules do not allow competition on Sundays, which is a practical necessity for most teams due to trap field availability. Trap is treated as an approved activity by most schools.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

MSHSL SITE

Yep. As I said, it’s not a sanctioned sport, it’s an “activity”. The MSHSL lists both, but the MNSHSL does not keep state records for or govern “activities”.

The central issue is that the MSHSL will not allow sanctioned sports competition on Sundays.

The MN High School Clay Target League is the sport’s governing body.

From their website:

Is this League a sanctioned sport with the state high school athletic/activities association?
    No. Although the League follows similar beliefs and operations as the state high school athletic/activities association, this is not a sanctioned sport

ajw

So we have medical, tactical gear, and ammo manufacturers, all private. Donating to Ukraine. I don’t have a problem with it. It seems like a decent thing to do. I strongly question whether those same companies would do the same for US citizens in a shtf scenario. I have my doubts

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I strongly question whether those same companies would do the same for US citizens in a shtf scenario. I have my doubts

If SHTF in the U.S. I doubt anyone is showing up to run production of those products anyway.

MNdrifter

Not gonna lie. Took me about an hour to figure out SHTF. That said, I am in dire need of shotgun slugs. Both 12ga, to sight in both my boys new slug barrels and scopes, and 20ga for my new 220 savage. Anyone have any suggestions? I’d like to have them all sighted in well before fall. But it seems they only run production of them just before hunting season. Only sabot slugs I can find are Hornadays, and I’m not a fan of them.

tornadochaser

Not gonna lie. Took me about an hour to figure out SHTF. That said, I am in dire need of shotgun slugs. Both 12ga, to sight in both my boys new slug barrels and scopes, and 20ga for my new 220 savage. Anyone have any suggestions? I’d like to have them all sighted in well before fall. But it seems they only run production of them just before hunting season. Only sabot slugs I can find are Hornadays, and I’m not a fan of them.

Just going to have to keep checking sites like ammoseek. There’s some sabots hitting shelves here and there.

Musky Ed

Was at a sport shop called Chase outdoors, the other day. They were loaded up on ammo to the point where all the shelves were full, and they had so much extra that the floor was covered with pallet upon pallet of excess ammo. Prices, really high, but if you had to have something, they more than likely had it. I am so glad that I am not in need of ammo now. Having went through the last shortage years back, when prices returned to a reasonable level, I made sure I would never go through that again.

CaptainMusky

I have been able to find some rifle ammo recently which is good. I needed and found 270 and 30.06. Bought two boxes of each. Still need 1 box of 243 but that wont be a big deal if I dont get it because its my youngest youth gun who will outgrow soon anyway and I will get him a new gun in the caliber same as something we already have.
    My dad went through his vault and had 3 boxes (2 full and one has 2 or 3 shells in it) of Federal rifled slugs, 12 ga. I will have no use for them. So if someone wanted them they could have them, but I am not going to ship them so it would have to be someone in the St Cloud area.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have been able to find some rifle ammo recently which is good. I needed and found 270 and 30.06. Bought two boxes of eac flame h. Still need 1 box of 243 but that wont be a big deal if I dont get it because its my youngest youth gun who will outgrow soon anyway and I will get him a new gun in the caliber same as something we already have.
    My dad went through his vault and had 3 boxes (2 full and one has 2 or 3 shells in it) of Federal rifled slugs, 12 ga. I will have no use for them. So if someone wanted them they could have them, but I am not going to ship them so it would have to be someone in the St Cloud area.

Slugs are tough, but you could walk in and buy a box of .270, 30-06, or .243 at Scheels as of last week. I know the local ma and pa outfit in town had .270 and 30-06 as well. I was at Scheels looking for a Ruger 10/22 as a birthday present to my nephew. Unfortunately they had just sold the last carbine one I wanted earlier that morning. flame

I told my BIL that his son was going to have to do a bit more work for me to earn the stainless target model that they had in stock for like $600+ tax.

CaptainMusky

I checked our scheels in St Cloud last week and no 243. The others they had though.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.