Alumatrac bracket for Bimini top?

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Has anyone used the Alumatrac brackets for a Bimini top? They seem rather wimpy. I like the idea on not drilling holes in my boat. But at $25 a pop just to see them break and then maybe needing a wider top to fit the rails isn’t what I need. My dealer never saw anyone use them. BRP was zero help. They couldn’t tell me what material they are made of. Believing it or not the guy I talked to didn’t know they made a Classic 165. “They just bought Alumacraft” he said. I told him it was in 2018. I thought of calling a bunch of dealers but hate to bug people I have never spent money with.

What do you think?

Jason

The Alumacraft ones are pretty weak since there only plastic.
    I went aftermarket aluminum and I noticed a big difference in strength/flex on my slidong trolling motor bracket up front.
    A guy would have to verify the bimini top brackets to see how everything would bolt up.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

They redesigned the brackets to be aluminum this year. Dealers can order, but I would assume the after market will be cheaper since they price gouge every accessory.

Not sure if mounting to these would work… The width of the Bimini poles are designed to fall in the middle of the gunnel on the topside. You would need to bend the pole inward to align with the hardware. I would envision it being a pain to install the thumb screws since the holes will not be concentric anymore. It’s worth a shot, you always have plan B to mount it like the installation instructions.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Jason, I can make the Bimini brackets work with a L bracket bolted to the Alumatrac Bracket to get a horizontal surface. What ones did you get?

Mr. Big, The poles are designed to flex some to fit a 5″ range: 73-78″, 79-83″. The thing is if I use the brackets I need the 73-79″. If I bolt it to the boat it’s the bigger size.

Any suggestion on aftermarket brand. The ones I saw are spendy at $70 each and not available. I will look into the Alumacraft ones.

Thank you.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I talked to Alumacraft. My dealer called the too. Both said that Alumacraft did not make brackets out of aluminum. All they offer is the “Heavy duty plastic” Alumatrac Brackets.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Lol, that doesn’t surprise me… I seen it on the Alumacraft Facebook page, they released a video of the new Pro 185 and stated they have a new robust Alumatrac bracket made from aluminum. After watching again, the video show’s the old plastic ones… Apparently someone is misinformed.

@3:25 mark
    https://fb.watch/7LDI_jOMsl/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.