Alumacraft V14 Seat Removal

• Jesse D.

I understand I am beating a dead horse but…

I have a ’05 V14. Great boat. The only thing I don’t like is the rear and middle bench. I fully understand these are structural. I think the removal of the middle bench and replacement with a structural cross member (or 2) makes sense and will be plenty strong. If I’m wrong, please say so.

But how can I cut the rear bench so that it’s more of a modern open style? I see on modern versions of the V14 that the rear storage bench is mounted lengthwise and riveted to the side and the floor. The captain’s bench is an L and riveted to the side, floor and transom. How can I recreate something like this without really mucking up the structural integrity of the stern?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just sold my 14 ft alumacraft. I eliminated the middle bench immediately but I kept the rear and put a nice seat on it. Was incredibly easy and didn’t jeprodize the structure of the boat it self.

Jesse D.

Just sold my 14 ft alumacraft. I eliminated the middle bench immediately but I kept the rear and put a nice seat on it. Was incredibly easy and didn’t jeprodize the structure of the boat it self.

I assume you removed that seat from the gunnel mounted ‘mounts’? Structurally it was ok? What hp were you running it at after that removal?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I assume you removed that seat from the gunnel mounted ‘mounts’? Structurally it was ok? What hp were you running it at after that removal?

I removed the entire seat and built a flat floor. Ran a 25 hp

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

I have done it on similar boats, structure is fine. The only concern would be the floatation foam that you remove from the bench. The boat no longer has enough foam to float incase of capsizing/swamping.

matt

I have a dv14 alumacraft 1989 I think.It didnt have a full bench across the middle but had a small storage on one side and a small livewell on the other,kind of like a bench with a path to walk in between.I removed these,they had no floatation but they were structural.I added some braces on both sides and lag bolted them to the floor.Its held up well and probably stronger than original.

Jesse D.

I have done it on similar boats, structure is fine. The only concern would be the floatation foam that you remove from the bench. The boat no longer has enough foam to float incase of capsizing/swamping.

That is a concern but I would replace it throughout the boat/under the deck, etc.

Jesse D.

I have a dv14 alumacraft 1989 I think.It didnt have a full bench across the middle but had a small storage on one side and a small livewell on the other,kind of like a bench with a path to walk in between.I removed these,they had no floatation but they were structural.I added some braces on both sides and lag bolted them to the floor.Its held up well and probably stronger than original.

I’d love to have a visual idea of the bracing.

Jesse D.

Alumacraft answered my very specific question about structural support with this very detailed answer. Here it is verbatim:

NO, ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING SAFE FLOATATION

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I took the center bench out of a small 14′ Lund I owned without issue. That little thing had a 15hp 2 stroke Mercury on it and would cruise over 20mph. I never felt any more unsafe than before it was removed.

As far as the flotation argument goes…99% of the foam in these boats that are 30+ years old is compromised anyways (or at least what I found in mine when I redid the boat). If you are in a position where you are relying on the floatation of an overturned 14′ boat you made other mistakes beyond removing foam floatation. I’d take it out if it’s what you want. You take bigger risks walking across a parking lot in today’s world than removing the foam. Add some foam under the front and back seat if it eases your mind and forget about it.

dirtywater

Alumacraft answered my very specific question about structural support with this very detailed answer. Here it is verbatim:

NO, ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING SAFE FLOATATION

They are giving you the only lawyer-approved answer that is sure to not subject them to future litigation.

I’m not saying it’s safe. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But you’ll never get Alumacraft to say it.

matt

I didnt have a middle bench,the only floatation that came on my boat is under the front and rear bench so that was a non factor for me.First pic is outside of boat where I drilled thru some stainless screws and added finishing washers,these holes are above the waterline so there is no leaks.Second pic is inside of boat.Found the angle and used a piece of starboard(plastic plywood)drilled into floor on the end with a small stainless lag bolt then a couple stainless self tapping screws into the metal storage box next to it.You may be fine without the added support.I didnt want to find out.My 14footer gets treated pretty rough compared to most,driving thru icebergs and pounding bigger waves than I probly should.Good luck and use stainless fasteners for whatever you do.Edit pictures showed up in reverse of what I said and dont want to retype all of it

Attachments:
    1. 20210415_153808-scaled.jpg

2. 20210415_153818-scaled.jpg

Jesse D.

I took the center bench out of a small 14′ Lund I owned without issue. That little thing had a 15hp 2 stroke Mercury on it and would cruise over 20mph. I never felt any more unsafe than before it was removed.

As far as the flotation argument goes…99% of the foam in these boats that are 30+ years old is compromised anyways (or at least what I found in mine when I redid the boat). If you are in a position where you are relying on the floatation of an overturned 14′ boat you made other mistakes beyond removing foam floatation. I’d take it out if it’s what you want. You take bigger risks walking across a parking lot in today’s world than removing the foam. Add some foam under the front and back seat if it eases your mind and forget about it.

Well it’s only from 2005 and the foam is good as good can get but I see your point.

BUT…flotation is not my issue. The foam will be well replaced. STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY if my big concern. I’m just looking for ways to keep the sides as strong without the middle seat as it is with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.