Alumacraft Layoffs

• ThunderLund78

68 laid-off at the St. Peter facility and eliminating the night shift in favor of a single extended day shift. Softening of sales to blame. Interest rates are making money expensive. Bummer for those employees and the town of St Peter.

CaptainMusky

It was mentioned in another post that they think these were added jobs during the pandemic because of the increased demand. Still sucks people lost their jobs though.

ThunderLund78

They recently expanded their entire production facility there, not sure if it was during Covid or before. Sorry if I missed this somewhere else.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They recently expanded their entire production facility there, not sure if it was during Covid or before. Sorry if I missed this somewhere else.

It got mentioned in the pages of the Boat Price Reckoning thread.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sucks for them, the expansion on the facility was pretty minimal. Worked on it many times. It would be like saying I expanded my house by adding a shed

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Economy is fine… rotflol
    Harley is WAAAY down this year also. Forced a lot of layoffs in another division of the company I work for who services Harley. We haven’t laid anyone off in my facility but we’re running real skinny and remaining conservative for next year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It was mentioned in another post that they think these were added jobs during the pandemic because of the increased demand. Still sucks people lost their jobs though.

I mean if they expanded their work force and their facility as a temporary situation because of the pandemic-related demand, then they certainly knew it wouldn’t stay like that forever too.

Rodwork posted in the other thread that Lund is still hiring near his residence.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Economy is fine… rotflol
    Harley is WAAAY down this year also. Forced a lot of layoffs in another division of the company I work for who services Harley. We haven’t laid anyone off in my facility but we’re running real skinny and remaining conservative for next year.

A lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too.

We can’t simultaneously b**** about inflation AND also about the economy slowing with a reduction of jobs/contracts towards more of a sustainable norm. Moving the markets toward equilibrium is going to bring losses or reduced earnings for someone (businesses and workers).

Alumacraft expanded (not sure what that all entailed) during a time of historic inflation that the boat market has never seen. Not so shockingly, things have regressed back towards the norm. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to see that coming. If they leveraged themselves into the future based on earnings during historic inflation – that was dumb. If someone took a brand new created job in the last couple years related to sales or manufacturing recreational items – they should have done so with context of the economy

dirtywater

We can’t simultaneously b**** about inflation AND also about the economy slowing with a reduction of jobs/contracts towards more of a sustainable norm.

99.999% of IDO users: No? Hold my beer…

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    We can’t simultaneously b**** about inflation AND also about the economy slowing with a reduction of jobs/contracts towards more of a sustainable norm.

99.999% of IDO users: No? Hold my beer…

The problem is the new “norm” was work hard play hard back when they expanded… the whole economy going forward together….then things changed and it’s not now. Pick your “norm”

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^That’s merely opinion that cannot be quantified, regardless of whether I agree or disagree.

The “Work hard play hard” economic growth you reference is still related to a time with unsustainably low interest rates. 2.9% 30 year mortgages are not representative of market equilibrium and the same goes for the historically low rates on auto loans, RV purchases, and so on. Anyone can make more money when borrowing is dirt cheap. That’d be like applauding your boy scout skills for making a fire with matches and a can of gasoline.

In terms of economic fact without political feelings – people are going to have to lose jobs or deal with stagnant pay while businesses have flat profits or something less than record breaking ones. That’s the only way inflation will get under control. Those in the labor market should have context of the economy. Certain jobs will be unaffected in coming years while others are going to take a hit. Position yourselves accordingly.

Riverrat

If you didn’t see this coming when the Rona started you get what you get. As soon as people started leaving their jobs I swooped in looking for the most stable available jobs around. It sucks the blue collars are going down faster than the influencers, but it’s not surprising, and it’s not done yet. Corrections are coming, and recreation will be hit hard.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you didn’t see this coming when the Rona started you get what you get. As soon as people started leaving their jobs I swooped in looking for the most stable available jobs around. It sucks the blue collars are going down faster than the influencers, but it’s not surprising, and it’s not done yet. Corrections are coming, and recreation will be hit hard.

Glad I got in to a trade that every trade needs. Been great for 14 years, was great when no one worked during rona times, and is still needed during these slow times. Every tinner, plumber, hvac, general contractor, demo and dirt operators need concrete either added or removed from jobs. Stable is what I looked for and I found stable with the endless option of over time when wanted.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Money has less value when everyone has it… hence lower interest rates… again, pick your norm… you cannot separate politics from this one. coffee

not long ago, you didn’t need a scout to start a fire, everybody could.

CaptainMusky

I mean if they expanded their work force and their facility as a temporary situation because of the pandemic-related demand, then they certainly knew it wouldn’t stay like that forever too.

Rodwork posted in the other thread that Lund is still hiring near his residence.

I was merely pointing it out, didnt mean anything about them “knowing” about it and how would they project demand beyond what they had in front of them? They couldnt.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was merely pointing it out, didnt mean anything about them “knowing” about it and how would they project demand beyond what they had in front of them? They couldnt.

I know you were and I wasn’t trying to single you out when I quoted you. But as Bucky already posted above, they certainly had to know that demand like that wasn’t going to continue long term. If they didn’t, they’re being led by a bunch of morons at the executive level. And I’m sure all of them are keeping their jobs.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Alumacraft closed their facility in Arkansas in June 2020, this was decided before any covid talk even emerged… to consolidate it all in St Peter. Pre-covid, sales of recreational vehicles was sky high… yes, because interest rates were low, wages were going up and people were working. And then… covid. This then halted production of boats and all recreational vehicles… couple that with workers retiring early, pent up demand (people could drive down the road, without proof they were essential) and you get the over inflated pricing of recreational vehicles. The fact it is laying off today, is relative to todays conditions… demand was caught up, prices were corrected. There is one reason they are laying off… stay tuned for more updates on the new norm.

queenswake
    NULL

I haven’t followed boat prices lately, but I imagine even Alumacraft’s prices are sky high. I wonder if that is part of the problem, too. Alumacraft was always a bit more value oriented than Lund or Crestliner and the prices, combined with the interest rates, are too high to bear. Where Lund and the glass makers are doing better because their customers are in a different situation and can afford the prices even right now.

I wonder if Alumacraft, Starcraft/Smokercraft, Polar Kraft, etc will be hurt the most?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.