Alumacraft factory top opinions

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Looking for feedback on the top set in the photo below. Just wondering about the factory version sold for any of the sport models. Edge, Trophy, Competitor, Dominator, etc. Considering both factory and custom for the 185. Anybody care to share likes or dislikes on the factory option? Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. B2DF50D8-49D2-47D4-BF03-F43F0A7AF81C.jpeg

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Photo didn’t load…

Attachments:
    1. 637DCD21-443E-4CEE-B8DA-063F32700AF3.jpeg

welliou

I have the factory top, side curtains and stern and bow covers. I have had to replace the side curtains. This is on a 175 Trophy 2016. I also have had to do a repair on a snap on the center walk thru panel. The side curtains had a velcro strip sewn into the plastic window, the velcro attaches to one of the roof supports to give it support when the boat is under way. The sewing tore loose and was unrepairable. I think the factory canvas may be a little cheaper but I would price out a custom made set.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thanks for the feedback. How would you rate the functionality? Tall enough? Curious about the coverage for rain and sun. This would be used primarily for cruising with the family and wouldn’t be used while fishing unless absolutely necessary.

welliou

I am 6’and I have to bend slightly under the top. It gives good protection from the elements.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Best accessory on my boat is an 8′ long full height Bimini for the SUN!! it’s also great for the rain.

Unless your family enjoys boat rides in rain you’ll find that setup short, constricting, and HOT. My 2c.

Stanley

I am also interested in some sort of top for our competitor 185 that should arrive in a few weeks. What other options are there and do they easily detach or store out of the way if not needed?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I have a 2015 Alumacraft Trophy. My top has the side windows. I’ve used it 1 time in 2 years so far. It worked awesome that 1 time (October tournament blowing, sleeting, and in the low 30s). Definitely makes boat control way harder having it on in the wind. The main reason I don’t use it more often is I don’t want is laying on my floor when not using it. I’m sure I could have used it a dozen other times that I got really wet when I didn’t have it in the boat. I’m a short fat guy so I don’t have troubles with the height.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

A custom top is the way to go. Make sure it is tall enough to stand under and make sure to have it where the sides and piece between windsheild and top are independent of the top itself. The wind able to come thru and provide shade is a must. It will get very warm under the to if there is no air moving thru it. Unless you have no intentions using it during the warm seasons, then the enclosure is great.

David Blais

I had a 2018 trophy 205 and ordered the factory top, sides and back. I would not do that again. The quality of the custom tops is much higher. Plus, you will get what you want.

It was too short, height wise, and not long long enough length wise. You could fit two guys under it. And that was it. The zippers leaked and dropped those annoying drops of water on you. If you drove with it up, it flapped terribly.

I had a boat previous to the trophy that had a canvas craft enclosure, so I am comparing the two…

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think you confirmed my suspicions. Going with the custom bimini with the detachable “windows” on the front and a closeoff for the walkthrough. I like the idea of allowing airflow on the hot days. Will have them set it up to accept the side curtains, but I don’t think I need those.

David Blais

If you fish in crappy weather. Get the side curtains. It keeps a lot of wind and rain out.

Gregg Gunter

PSA: I read on a different thread that you can get exhaust fumes rolling into the enclosed area. It’s from the difference in air pressure I’m guessing. Be safe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.