Alumacraft Edge 175 hard to get on plane

• Plomp

I have a buddy that bought a new Alumacraft Edge last year. Has 140hp Suzuki 4 stroke. He is very happy with the boat overall but has noticed that when having adults in the back Jump seats it takes a lot to get the boat up on plane. When kids are in the jump seats absolutely no problem.

We were throwing around ideas and thought of getting the tabs on the back of the haul to help it get to plane quicker or would you be better switching to a different prop?

Anybody else experience this?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yeah when I took 3 full size dudes and a bunch of gear out to an island in Canada in my 175 of a different brand, it takes longer to plane out cause of the fact your probably a little over weight. But if it does not have a stainless steel prop, try that it will jump out of the hole much better.

toddrun

Tabs, hydrofoil and power prop will all help. I ended up with a hydrofoil and a stainless power prop, solved the planing issues on my boat.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A properly sized 4 blade prop will help…even more than a stainless prop if holeshot is the issue.

I’ve got a stainless on a similar sized 17′ fiberglass fishing boat and I gained a couple mph on the top end, and only a slight change out of the hole. If I fished with more than 1 other person or ran around with a full livewell regularly, I’d probably switch to a 4 blade.

Plomp

Yes, does currently have a 3 blade stainless on.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

What do your rpms max out at with the prop?

robby
    Quad Cities

Lower pitch prop. Lower the motor, a little. Is motor mounted directly to transome or to a jack plate? May be just switching to a stainless steel prop if he is currently running aluminum.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If RPM is where it is suppose to be I would look at having your prop drilled to get the RPM up quicker or switching to the same size prop but with the plastic plugs to let the prop vent. This allows your motor to get the RPM up quicker into the power band and the water passing over them as you gain speed to stop the venting. I have mine drilled when I hit the throttle my RPM immediately jumps to around 3,200 RPM as the boat ketches up to the motor speed the water seals the vents and away we go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.