Alumacraft delivery time

• JAnderson

Just curious how upset I should be with both my dealer and/or alumacraft. I ordered the boat 4 weeks ago and was told 6-8 weeks which is perfect. However, now it won’t start production until early to mid May. Then the waiting for ship etc. this could push the timeline into June and more like at least the 12 week mark. I’m absolutely devistated that I may not have it for Wisconsin and Minnesota openers plus potentially not have it early June for a Kabetogama trip. I talked to my dealer and he said he would call to see what he can do but it didn’t sound hopeful. I’ve been email with alumacraft and they just basically said “sorry, that’s the production schedule.” This statement kind of tells me they knew the timeframe before I ordered. Not much I can do now and I understand that. I’ll have the boat for many years and enjoy it but I just a little pissed that I order in February and may not have it for opener. That’s shitty in my opinion.

Anyways, any thoughts on how I possibly can speed this up? Or am I just SOL For opener. Also, I know I can fish with others on opener but I don’t like not being in control of the boat and I cannot borrow a boat for the kabetogama trip.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I’d be pretty cheesed off too! Can the dealer give you a loaner until yours comes in? He promised you 4-6 weeks, so I would think he is on the hook for that.

JAnderson

I’d be pretty cheesed off too! Can the dealer give you a loaner until yours comes in? He promised you 4-6 weeks, so I would think he is on the hook for that.

I’m definitely going to push for that but I’m not really holding my breathe. Also won’t have my trolling motor depth finders etc all rigged up either.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Does another dealer have your boat in stock? If you aren’t getting what you want from the current dealer I’d be looking elsewhere.

Keep in mind that it seems from your post that the dealer deceived you on the lead time for the build. I’m not so sure Alumacraft is at fault. I wouldn’t hesitate to let Alumacraft know of your dissatisfaction with the dealer.

La Canne’s has a good reputation.

JAnderson

Does another dealer have your boat in stock? If you aren’t getting what you want from the current dealer I’d be looking elsewhere.

I’m not sure where you are located but La Canne’s has a good reputation.

I cannot find the color combo with the package I want in stock. This is the boat I want (and price I want) and I cannot just walk because I’d just be waiting with another dealer to order the boat as well.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You can walk, you are choosing not to. I would walk into the dealer and cancel the order and get my down payment back. They just don’t like giving money back. grin I also would contact Alumacraft and ask them what date the order was placed. Maybe the dealer was trying to fill a delivery truck and held your order, wouldn’t be the first time that happened. I know what it’s like to not get something the way you want it on the date promised. I also know how it gnaws on a guy to “settle” for something because you feel helpless in a situation. Don’t settle. The very worse case is you re-order next winter, best case is the dealer squeezes Alumacraft to get yours done. By what little info we have it seems you are being told a 3 1/2 month build time?

Go kill the deal and see what happens.
    Good luck hope everything works out.

JAnderson

You can walk, you are choosing not to. I would walk into the dealer and cancel the order and get my down payment back. They just don’t like giving money back. grin I also would contact Alumacraft and ask them what date the order was placed. Maybe the dealer was trying to fill a delivery truck and held your order, wouldn’t be the first time that happened. I know what it’s like to not get something the way you want it on the date promised. I also know how it gnaws on a guy to “settle” for something because you feel helpless in a situation. Don’t settle. The very worse case is you re-order next winter, best case is the dealer squeezes Alumacraft to get yours done. By what little info we have it seems you are being told a 3 1/2 month build time?

Yeah. Like I said I could walk but about the only thing that would do is push the date back further because I’ll be ordering the same boat from the same company. With that said, I’ve told him that depending on how the dealer gets back to me, I may walk away.

I’m not waiting until next winter as I am boatless now and won’t go all summer like that.

404 ERROR
    MN

I had a situation exactly like what Dutchy said, they held my order to fill a truck. This was for a UTV I purchased last year. Ordered it exactly how I wanted and was prepared to wait the quoted 4-5 weeks as they were the only dealer around even willing to take the order. 8 weeks later and it still wasn’t there…turns out they held the order…I got it, but about a week before our one big ride of the summer. It was half-assed rigged to my liking before the trip as I was out of time. The smile the machine put on my face quickly made me forget about the buying experience, but I will not patronize the particular dealer anymore.

My advise would be to go in and have them explain why the times aren’t adding up and if they pass the blame, call who they blame…Either that or walk and find someone willing to get you one quicker at the Sports show this weekend. There will be all sorts of dealers looking to peddle a boat or two.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

When my prior rig sold un-expectedly a few years ago, just before a planned week-long trip, I asked a good friend of mine if I could borrow his boat for the trip, even though he wasn’t going.

Did it have all my stuff on it, no. But I was able to still take the trip, and catch fish.

Look around, and see what your friends have that might be available.

HRG

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d walk absolutely. When stuff doesn’t add up like it seems it doesn’t for you something went a miss, and seems like it was your dealer. Stuff happens, and it’s understandable, but being mislead on timing is unacceptable.

No way anyone is gonna take a huge chunk of dough from me that’s not on the up and up. Again, maybe in conversations it turns out to be honest mistake somehow. Until then, lots of shorefishing opportunities in spring here​!

zooks

I also would contact Alumacraft and ask them what date the order was placed. Maybe the dealer was trying to fill a delivery truck and held your order, wouldn’t be the first time that happened.

I would also guess this is the source of your problems as it’s a common practice for some dealers, especially at this time of year you placed your order.

If the dealer did hold your order and that hold caused the delay, I would not be pleased and would be willing to walk unless some fairly large concessions are made.

Good luck with what you decide.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I would for sure go to the boat show this weekend and talk to other Alumacraft dealers. See if one of them can get you the same boat sooner at the same price and guarantee it. Take that deal and walk on the other one.

You might even find a rep from Alumacraft their and you can ask him WTH?

I’d base it in part on the pricing you received. If you got a smokin’ deal, I’d wait it out. You should be getting a slice of the monetary benifit of waiting for the (full) truckload sale.

Hitting the sportshow for another round of pricing/shopping is always a good suggestion.

JAnderson

I’d walk absolutely. When stuff doesn’t add up like it seems it doesn’t for you something went a miss, and seems like it was your dealer. Stuff happens, and it’s understandable, but being mislead on timing is unacceptable.

No way anyone is gonna take a huge chunk of dough from me that’s not on the up and up. Again, maybe in conversations it turns out to be honest mistake somehow. Until then, lots of shorefishing opportunities in spring here​!

Again, How can I get a boat if I cancel my order?

The dealer told me 6-8 weeks and put the order in on the day I order as he had two other the day before as well.

I won’t find the color combo, boat package, trailer, motor, etc at the same price. How can I put pressure on to them to hurry up?

Joel

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

as others have said you should be willing to walk. I know you are sacrificing a lot in your mind by walking away but the reality is that its the only leverage you have and its a prerequisite in order to be able to help yourself in your situation. I have purchased two alumacrafts from two different MN dealers and I cant say I enjoyed either experience much. I have chalked this up to boat buying just being a shady business.

Reading into your situation I doubt Alumacraft is to blame. More than likely your dealer.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I know it’s not easy, but throw up a bluff if you have to. Money talks and they don’t want to lose any of yours. At the very least you should get some kind of reparations for your trouble. Extended discount, extra rigging accessories, free storage, etc. I guess I don’t know what is spelled out in the contact, but respectfully let them know how ticked off you are and you are willing to nix the deal if you can’t get reassurance of a delivery date.

404 ERROR
    MN

No one asked the most important question! Tell us more about the boat!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Again, How can I get a boat if I cancel my order?

The dealer told me 6-8 weeks and put the order in on the day I order as he had two other the day before as well.

I won’t find the color combo, boat package, trailer, motor, etc at the same price. How can I put pressure on to them to hurry up?

Joel

Joel,
    I’m not sure you understand just how far-reaching sites like IDO and WC can be. If I remember correctly, you were looking for a non-rigged hull, so why not post EXACTLY what your rig is, and let the power of the WWW go to work, and see what’s out there. If you’re not willing to walk away from the deal at this dealer, and he’s reading this thread, you have NO leverage.

Only you can determine what is more important to you.

HRG

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Maybe you won’t have a boat for a bit longer. I absolutely love fishing as much as anyone else here, but there are principles involved with certain things, and this would be one.

Besides that doesnt the energy just feel negative already with the boat? Got to get into that new ride with all the right grooves going on man, going on!
    vibes

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t see where there’s much you can do if you’re wanting the exact rig you’ve custom ordered AND you’ve already sold your old boat. It’d be a huge hassle to go out and buy a “temp boat” for just this summer and then re-order again next fall.

The BIGGEST THING I’d be worried about is Alumacraft sticking to their delivery date. This seems to happen to me all the time, the company has my money and then it’s all, “Hey, did we say June? Oh, we meant January. Our bad, sorry to keep you waiting, production delays, etc.” There never seems to be consequences for the dealer/manu failing to hit their dates and most of them don’t care because, hey they’ve got your money and what are you going to do? Cancel the order when they bump back the deliver date a month for a boat you’ve already been waiting 6 months for? They know at that point they’ve got you.

If it were me, I’d tell the dealer that either he and Almacraft give you a deliver “not later than” date, in writing, and signed. Their reaction will speak volumes about yoour chances of actually getting the boat on/near the date promised.

I’m sorry to be Mr. Pessimest here, but be honest. What’s your gut feeling on your chances of having a rigged boat in your driveway by July 1? 50%? 20%? Go with your gut on this one, if you feel like they’re stringing you along, you’ll just be pissed at yourself if you don’t cancel and then get crushed with the news that you knew was coming. If they will commit to a date and you feel they will honor it, then go with it. Having dealt with them, your gut should be telling you the answer to this.

Grouse

JAnderson

My dealer got back to me and said he spoke to Alumacraft and now its an end of May build. This may seal it that I will not be ordering an alumacraft at all, especially from this dealer.

The boat I am looking for is a competitor 175 CS with 115 yam and eagle bunk trailer….but I need grey hull and black accent which is the problem…can’t find one available….not to mention at my price.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know how it works out for me. Unfortunately this is the boat I want as I don’t like the lund 1775 impact or crestliner 1750 fishhawk…not to mention they don’t come in the price I have. Kind of wish I had my old boat back.

JAnderson

Maybe you won’t have a boat for a bit longer. I absolutely love fishing as much as anyone else here, but there are principles involved with certain things, and this would be one.

Besides that doesnt the energy just feel negative already with the boat? Got to get into that new ride with all the right grooves going on man, going on!
    vibes

I get it but what can I do if this is the boat I want?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

PM me which dealer you are working with and I will tell you if its one of the ones I worked with as I had some of the same problems. This could narrow down your search for working with a reputable dealer. Would hate to see you walk away from a boat or boat manufacturer that you want just because the dealership sucks! The dealership is a reflection of the manufacturer but only to a certain extent. I would hesitate to recommend the dealers I worked with but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend an alumacraft. I have the same boat you are after btw.

JAnderson

PM me which dealer you are working with and I will tell you if its one of the ones I worked with as I had some of the same problems. This could narrow down your search for working with a reputable dealer. Would hate to see you walk away from a boat or boat manufacturer that you want just because the dealership sucks! The dealership is a reflection of the manufacturer but only to a certain extent. I would hesitate to recommend the dealers I worked with but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend an alumacraft. I have the same boat you are after btw.

The problem is that I am four weeks in now. If I start over then I’d be at about the 8 week timeline anyways…likely at a higher price. I’ll let everyone know the dealer if he doesn’t fix things, please don’t worry about that.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Walk and call a Crestliner dealer devil . You’ll be jiggin’ on the openor’ no problem!

In all seriousness these things are not cheap and you never want a sour taste in your mouth. Your sixth sense is already acting up and there is a reason for that. Get outa’ the deal so that taste in your mouth can be sweet instead of sour…

JAnderson

Walk and call a Crestliner dealer devil . You’ll be jiggin’ on the openor’ no problem! RR

For more money….and in a boat I like less….It may come to that though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have never yet met a dealer who sells boats below cost, no matter what they may tell you. The price you have from your dealer is good at any other dealer who wants to sell a boat. Walk in with your paperwork and tell them they need to match the price. It’s a simple yes or no conversation.

On another issue in my opinion a 12 week lead time when you ordered in Feb. is excessive.Now, if this conversation was a week from now after the boat show maybe they would be that far out. Personally speaking if I ordered a boat mid Feb. it would need to be finished in Gold Leaf and wrapped in $100 bills for me to wait until June.

A question. I’m not a Alumacraft guy so forgive the dumb question. What makes a Black & Grey Alumacraft so special? Isn’t that like buying a Red & Grey Lund? I guess I don’t understand the “rare” part of the purchase.

JAnderson

I have never yet met a dealer who sells boats below cost, no matter what they may tell you. The price you have from your dealer is good at any other dealer who wants to sell a boat. Walk in with your paperwork and tell them they need to match the price. It’s a simple yes or no conversation.

On another issue in my opinion a 12 week lead time when you ordered in Feb. is excessive.Now, if this conversation was a week from now after the boat show maybe they would be that far out. Personally speaking if I ordered a boat mid Feb. it would need to be finished in Gold Leaf and wrapped in $100 bills for me to wait until June.

Price may be good…but how in the world would they get another boat made fast from the same manufacturer?

I’ll ask for the gold leaf and bills…I didn’t know that was an Alumacraft option.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Price may be good…but how in the world would they get another boat made fast from the same manufacturer?

If you feel that your current dealer has deceived you, Alumacraft already has that slot reserved for that specific boat, another dealer might be able to use the same built slot.

You won’t get it any faster, but at least the first dealer would lose the sale.

HRG

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Sounds like you don’t really want to cancel based upon your replies. Completely understandable. If I was in this situation and I had a smoking deal on the exact boat I wanted, I would tell the dealership they need to make some reparations since you won’t have a boat for the opener and possibly your trip.

If they can’t give you a loaner that is very close to your boat, ask for a deeper discount or potentially some additional accessories like electronics, a talon, or maybe a bimini cover. That seems very fair given the unkept delivery dates.

Don’t let these guys off the hook but there is probably a middle ground between waiting until the boat comes and cancelling.

Sorry for the situation.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.