Alumacraft Competitor

• Don Drost

I am considering buying an alumacraft competitor with a 75 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. If you have one I am interested in what you think of the boat/motor combination.

Thanks for your info!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Welcome to IDO Don.

Try posting your question in the Alumacraft section. It’s under the Toys for Big Boys section.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

how big? i have a competitor 175 and i put a suzuki 140HP on that

walleyeynot

Has Alumacraft made any design changes to the 2024 Competitor form 2023?
    I thought they were going to add more dry storage and improve their fasteners for better corrosion protection?

10klakes

Has Alumacraft made any design changes to the 2024 Competitor form 2023?
    I thought they were going to add more dry storage and improve their fasteners for better corrosion protection?

You may want to start a new post with your question vs digging up one from almost 7 years ago..

This is what I am looking at AlumaCraft 175 Competitor with a Suzuki 140hp.
    How has this worked out ? How slow can you troll with it ?
    Anything I should get with a new boat you wished you Had or would do over >
    Thanks

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

This is what I am looking at AlumaCraft 175 Competitor with a Suzuki 140hp.
    How has this worked out ? How slow can you troll with it ?
    Anything I should get with a new boat you wished you Had or would do over >
    Thanks

I like the boat. Mine is a 2016. No major issues. Had to replace the spark plugs if I recall on the 140 and the electric start went out on the kicker. Dealer said he’s never seen that before on a suzuki. That was covered under warranty. Other than that I just winterize and good to go.

Have had a few rivets come lose on the rod locker storage compartment and screws came lose on the dash. Also the dash is cracked for the 3rd time. If you search this forum you should find a few posts about it. It’s apparently an issue on lunds too.

Slowest I can troll with the 140 is 2.5

If I were to do it over again I would not get a kicker motor. I barely use it and ya it’s nice to have in an emergency but I rarely fish huge or remote water where my life might be at risk if my main motor dies. I think if I were to do it over again I would go glass. The ride in this boat is fine but I would prefer it if I could rip through big waves instead of crawl. If you’re deciding between a few graphs I would just go with the one your heart desires. I’ve swapped mine out a few times now and it’s costly. For trolling motor get spot lock. I dont network my boat up but I know for some guys that’s a must

Karry Kyllo

It all depends on how you fish. If you never or rarely troll cranks maybe your electric and your main motor will work for you but but if you plan on trolling cranks alot (I do), I’d definitely get a kicker and a bow mount electric. Steering with the bowmount and pushing with the kicker is the ultimate way to troll cramks in my opinion. I’d also get a travel cover, bimini top with assorted covers and a galvanized trailer unless you’ll be happy with a rusty trailer in several years. I ordered a galvanized trailer when I ordered my boat about 10 years ago and it still looks like it did the day that I bought it. Some may not like the look of a galvanized trailer but it’s many times better than a rusty painted trailer. When you’re buying a boat new is the time to outfit it properly. Build your dream boat. If you’re making payments like most of us have to do, you’ll barely notice the increase in payment from the extras in the long run and you’ll be much happier with your boat.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Bimini top with assorted covers… Please explain this. I am looking into fixing some rivets in my boat and buy and buying a custom bimini that is tall enough to stand under and just long enough to allow to deploy the net and not interfere with the trolling tree set up on the rear of the boat and rear vertical rod rack I use while running. What all covers for the bimini are you talking?

Karry Kyllo

I probably should have said curtains and covers. If you look at the Alumacraft website and go to “Build Your Own” under “Accessories”, one can order a Bimini Collapsible Top, Side Curtains, Walkway Curtain, Aft Curtain and Bow Cover or you can also get the top, curtains and covers in a Fishini style.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i definitely wish i would have purchased a bimini top at the top i bought the boat. I dont like the sun and i use this boat a lot as a family boat for swimming and cruising with the family. currently i use cheap umbrellas but a bimimi would have been much better! If i were to get one now id need to pay a shop to custom make one which is more expensive.

A good quality cover is a must too. I think i paid $800 for my canvas craft one at the time of purchase. Worth every penny. Keeping sun and water out of your boat is a must when stored on land. The cover is still holding up 8 years later but its showing some wear. might need to replace in the next few years

To Karrys point if you do troll cranks a lot he is right. That method works well. I personally havent had luck with that approach. The locking mechanism on the Suzuki to keep the throttle engaged doesnt seem to work all that well and i end up spending more time fiddling with that and the trolling motor that its too difficult to fish too. If im trolling cranks i just rely on the bow mount or stick the nose into the wind and use the main motor

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

How deep does the 205 ride? I often fish larger lakes but occasionally small to med size lakes and a river that has sandbars that change throughout the year. Any concern getting the 205 vs the 185?

MX1825

KK
    About galvanized trailers I had one with 2004 Lund and loved it. When buying the Lund the salesman had the best comment about galvanized trailers.

His quote:
    “They start out ugly, but they stay ugly”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.