Hydrofoil on Lunker?

• muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I have a Alumacraft Lunker with a Yamaha 40hp 4stroke. The boat planes great with me in it, does ok with 2, and struggles a bit with 3. Will a hydrofoil make a noticeable improvement for whole shot? Once on plane, the boat performs like I would expect with over 700lbs of guys in the boat plus gear, 24v terrova, anchors, etc. So, is it worth getting a hydrofoil and does anyone have suggestions of what kind. I’m looking at the SE sport 200 or the Stingray XRIII Junior. Mainly because these are no-drill installs.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

In my experience I have had poor luck with the no drill plates. Some people have had good luck with them though. I do believe that a hydrofoil will help you with what your explaining. I would take a look as the “edge plate” made by cobra marine. That would be my first choice if I were putting one on.

Aaron

I have the sting ray for a bigger motor and I did notice a difference on getting up on plane. The no hole drilled is only if you want to slide it on and feel that two pressure screws will keep it from sliding off. You can also drill them out and bolt it on instead which I feel is much better. Who knows may be I’ll find yours diving after the pressure screws lossen and it slides right off when your going across the lake
    I got mine because of the no drill and when installing it I quickly changed my mind to drill it out. I wouldn’t go with the Stingray just because of the no drill. If you think a different one would preform better go with that one, because you will be drilling either way.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I guess if I KNEW it was going to work, I’d have no problem drilling it and bolting it on. Guess I’ll just have to take a leap of faith. Eric, I see the one you suggested has a suggested minimum HP of like 75, do you think it will work on my 40? BTW, it’s been suggested multiple times to get that cobra, guess I’ll have to take a closer look at it. Thanks for the replies.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I have used the SE300 on an older Evinrude with trim/tilt. If you have T/T then a hydrofoil is a great idea as it makes the rig trim sensitive–which, if you don’t have T/T makes putting one on a bad idea. The SE200 will help stabilize the boat in rough water and in turns also.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Yep, I’ve got T and T. Sounds like from what I’ve read I’ll see a noticeable improvement.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

muskeye, I sent you a private message.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.