Riggers on a 185 TS?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Anybody have downriggers on a 185 Tournament Sort?

Looks like I’ll soon be the owner of a pair of Cannon downriggers and was wondering where to put them along the gunnale.

Or have suggestions on doing this, maybe use a track of some sorts for adjustability?

tia
    Al

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Just sold a pair of Cannon DR’s off a boat my brother bought – 185 Tourney Pro tiller. Lots of area on the wide gunnels to put them wherever you’d like. These had the “quick release” low profile swivel bases boled through the gunnale. No tracks. Very solid appearing, but we never used them. Good luck…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I’m doing a rigging seminar a couple of times this winter that will cover these issues.

Couple of things:

1. REINFORCE below the gunnel with at least a 1/2″ piece of green board. Very important.

2. Chose a spot that is both REARmost and OUTERmost. That way you can fish to the side as well as to the back. This will be very helpful, especially if you decide to expand to 4 riggers.

Good luck. Post pictures and contact me if you have any questions.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I’m doing a rigging seminar a couple of times this winter that will cover these issues.
    Couple of things:
    1. REINFORCE below the gunnel with at least a 1/2″ piece of green board. Very important.

2. Chose a spot that is both REARmost and OURTERmost. That way you can fish to the side as well as to the back. This will be very helpful, especially if you decide to expand to 4 riggers.

Good luck. Post pictures and contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks.

I usually use machice screws and nylocks along with 3/16th or so aluminum plate to reinforce, but ya, I can see how you should definitly have something under the gunale to renforce these units.

Hadn’t planned on 4….but ya never know, good point.. thanks.

Where you doing your seminar btw?
    Al

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I think y ou’ll like using them. The ability to see fish, set a depth for them AND then KNOW that your lures are being presented at EXACTLY the same depth is wonderful.

One trick i use on P4 quite a bit is to put the cannon ball HIGHER than the fish and use a stick with a diving lip to get down to the fish. I believe that it helps my catch rate, but no data and NO PICS (how could he POST such a claim and NOT have pics to back it up…)

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I think y ou’ll like using them. The ability to see fish, set a depth for them AND then KNOW that your lures are being presented at EXACTLY the same depth is wonderful.

One trick i use on P4 quite a bit is to put the cannon ball HIGHER than the fish and use a stick with a diving lip to get down to the fish. I believe that it helps my catch rate, but no data and NO PICS (how could he POST such a claim and NOT have pics to back it up…)

I fished with a guy years back that used riggers for walleyes/northerns and musky’s, he thought they might work well for crappies but hadn’t tried it.

He said about the same thing you did, and it worked the day we were out.

Thanks.

Al

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.