Turtle-Flambeau Flowage

• FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but it would be nice to post to a thread that is designated to the TFF.\

Until that time, the report is that it is not safe on the TFF at this time. Ice conditions are 1/2″ to 2″ and anglers are claiming that the ice is shifting below them.

On a better note, the forecast is for a very cold week, so I would suspect that ice conditions should be good by this weekend.

A walleye is not worth your life. There is a lot of fun ice time ahead.

http://turtleflambeauflowage.com/

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Thanks for the timely report.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

I agree on a Thread that is dedicated to just the TFF. To bad this last snow storm messed the ice making up for a bit.

It would be great if you posted on here every few days updating the ice depth and conditions. I would really appreciate it.

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

Hey Woody..this the guy that likes to Fish the hard water and drink ……btw there are no fish in TFF

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

agreed, i was up there the first wknd of October. dead sea..
    unless you like 20″ walleye and football sized smallies.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

like this

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

agreed, i was up there the first wknd of October. dead sea..
    unless you like 20″ walleye and football sized smallies.

Keep the Walleye thing quiet……no one is supposed to find out about this lake. Thats a nice stringer of fish.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

man I love that body of water. we had “better than Canada” walleye fishing that day. well over 30 fish and they were all nice ones. kept a limit and had a fantastic fish fry that night.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

It is just a terrible body of water. There’s no jetskis or water skiers. 95% of the shorline is just pristine wilderness Pine and rock outcroppings rather than looking at well fertilized lawns in front of mansions called cabins. Stay away from this body of water, as it is addictive!!!!!

brianjkuphal

isnt the flowage part of the flambeau river system?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Flowage is the origin of river. Love that stretch right below the dam

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Per our guests, ice depths in the Lake Bastine region is 3″-4″. Per an email I received from Guide Bobby Orr, the ice depth near Sturgeon Bay Landing is 6″-8″. The walleye bite has been slow, but will hopefully improve with the low pressure system coming through tonight.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

Per our guests, ice depths in the Lake Bastine region is 3″-4″. Per an email I received from Guide Bobby Orr, the ice depth near Sturgeon Bay Landing is 6″-8″. The walleye bite has been slow, but will hopefully improve with the low pressure system coming through tonight.

That seems about right. I talked with my father n law who lives on Butternut Lake and he said that there was 5″-6″ inches of ice. Thanks for the updates.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Guide Bobby Orr reports that he and his group caught their limit of 16″-18″ walleyes today between one hour prior to and one hour after sunset in 6′ or less of water near cabbage on the North end of the TFF on tip-ups with 4″-5″ shiners. Ice depths were up to 8″, but thinner ice exists in some area so use a spud to check and be safe.

http://www.turtleflambeauflowage.com

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

How is the ice now? Here in Spooner its been warm and rainy the last 4 days. How did the ice hold up over there?

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

The TFF lost some ice after the warm-up and rain on Wed., but anglers are still going out with caution. Things should start firming up with the forecast for evening lows in the teens. Use a spud and be careful!

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

The ice thickness is now between 6″-8″ in most areas, but use of a spud in untraveled areas is still advised.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

The ice thickness is now between 6″-8″ in most areas, but use of a spud in untraveled areas is still advised.

My father n law is heading up there on Thursday to Check the ice. He wants to get his permanent out soon, but only as ice conditions permit. In a few more days do you think it will be fine to travel mostly every where with an atv? I’d like to get down to the southern part of the Flowage.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

My father n law is heading up there on Thursday to Check the ice. He wants to get his permanent out soon, but only as ice conditions permit. In a few more days do you think it will be fine to travel mostly every where with an atv? I’d like to get down to the southern part of the Flowage.

The decision of whether the ice is safe for an ATV is yours to make. If I see ATVs on the ice, I will report it.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

My Father n law was on the flowage yesterday checking the ice. He said everywhere he drilled there was 7-8 inches. Has anyone else been out to report what ice thickness they are seeing?

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Guide Don Pemple reports 8″ inches of good ice. Yesterday he caught his limit of walleyes between 4:00-4:30 pm in 4′ of water on tip-ups with golden shiners.

Good Luck and please post a report. Merry Christmas.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Snowmobiles and ATVs are now riding on the ice, but caution is still advised as there are areas with as little as 4″ of ice. Most of the TFF has 8″ of ice.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Snowmobiles and ATVs are now traveling on the ice, but extreme caution is still advised as ice depths vary throughout the flowage from 4″-10″. There are two ice fishing shanties off of Donners Bay boat landing. Nothing to report at this time on the fishing, but our guests in FV2 are fishing the next few days. I will report their success when I hear it.

http://www.turtleflambeuflowage.com

Scott

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Well, I guess you must post the good with the bad.

Our guests at Flambeau Vista Retreat on the Lake Bastine area of the TFF have found only limited success with northerns and a few jumbo perch.

Our guests ealier in the week got some nice (16″-18″) walleye while watching their tip-ups from the cabin window while playing cards. They also caught two nice burbot that, for some reason, they through back down the hole. I explained to them how good the meat is and they claim they will give it a try next time.

Lake affect snow continues to fall. We have received about one foot of snow over the last 24 hours with another 6″-12″ predicted by tomorrow night.

http://www.flambeauvista.com

Happy New Year every one.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

“Lake affect snow continues to fall. We have received about one foot of snow over the last 24 hours with another 6″-12″ predicted by tomorrow night.”

Well, at-least the snowmobile-rs will be happy with snow. I stopped at Midway a few times and the place seemed dead without any bobble heads smelling like 2-cycle. Thanks for the reports.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

The walleye action has again picked up with good action off of Sportmans Landing in 6′-8′ feet of water on golden shiners between one hour prior to sunset to one hour after sunset. Some action has also been reported off the sand bar in front of Flambeau Vista Retreat in Lake Bastine. Some crappie action has been reported in 20′ of water off of Pine Island. There is 10″ of good ice without slush throughout the Flowage. ATVs and snowmobiles are getting around without a problem. Some brave souls are out with trucks, but extreme caution is advised.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

The fishing action was a bit spotty this past weekend. Some walleyes were caught off the sand bar in front of Flambeau Vista Retreat in Lake Bastine. Golden shiners on tip-ups at dusk were the ticket.

Jumbo perch were being caught near Pink Rock on the Turtle River on crappie minnows using both jig poles and tip-ups in about 8′ of water

Walleyes and Crappies were being caught on minnows in the Big Water area on the bends of the old river channels and the mid-lake humps.

Ice depths are at 12″-14″ after last weeks deep freeze. Trucks are now traveling on the ice, but caution is still advised.

Snowmobile trails are in good to excellent condition with a 10″-12″ base and 6″ of new wet snow predicted for Monday, Jan. 23rd, 2012.

The Justin Donner Memorial Fisheree is this Saturday, Jan. 28th, 2012 in the heated tent on the ice in front of Donners Bay Resort. There will be day-long raffles, food, beverages, music and fireworks at dusk. This is a fun event for a good charity, so bring your family out for the day and beat those Winter blues.

Also mark your calendar for the Claus Kraetke Memorial Ice Fishing Jamboree on Saturday Feb. 25th, 2012. This event will again be held at the heated tent in front of Donners Bay Resort with many great raffles and superb food and beverages.

Please see http://www.turtleflambeauflowage.com for info about lodging, food and fishing guides.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

The Turtle Flambeau Flowage Association will hold its annual Claus Kraetke Memorial Ice Fishing Jamboree at Donner’s Bay Resort on Saturday, February 25, 2012. Fishing starts at 7 AM and ends at 4 PM. Cash awards will be given for the three largest fish caught in several categories. Anglers are eligible to participate by purchasing a raffle ticket. Non-anglers are eligible to win prizes too. Raffle prizes include a Remington 770 7mm rifle with scope, a vehicle graphics kit and a NOOK color reader. There will be multiple raffles and food/beverage available throughout the day. The Turtle Flambeau Flowage is a 19,000 acre body of water located between Mercer and Park Falls in Iron County that provides one of the best Northwoods fishing experiences. For information contact Donner’s Bay Resort at 715-476-2555 or visit us online at http://www.turtleflambeauflowage.com.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Fish Crib construction will take place this year starting at 8:30 am on Friday, March 2nd, 2012 on the Ed and Kathy Scmidt property, 3020 N Hiawatha Rd, next to the former Hiawatha Resort just past Donners Bay Resort. Thirteen cords of tamarack logs and cinder block are already at the site. The cribs will be placed in and just outside the Lake Bastine area of the flowage

This is a joint effort between the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage/Trude Lake Property Owners Association, the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage Association and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Volunteers are needed throughout the day to lift and secure the logs, put brush in the cribs and position the cribs on the ice. Volunteers of all ages are needed for the physical labor and/or moral support. There is a need for volunteers with snowmobiles or ATVs with ratchet straps or tow ropes.

This will also be a great learning experience as DNR biologists will be on hand to answer questions about the cribs and the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage fishery, wildlife, forests, native plantlife, etc.

This is your chance to not only give back to the the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, but meet others that love Wisconsin’s Scenic Wilderness Waters Area. For more information, please contact Teri Meyer at the DNR Mercer office at 715-476-2240.

brianjkuphal

cribs can be a very valuable addition to the structure base in the flowage sounds like a good thing to be part of.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.