(Almost) No Line – No Problem

• Bob P
    Shoreview MN

I was out today and noticed that the line was way down the lip of my spool. It was casting ok and I didn’t need to make long casts. I thought nothing of it. After no action and losing some more line to a snag, I switched from lure to hook to fish a Texas rigged worm. After a bite off (northern), I tied on another hook and then finally noticed it. I could see the metal spindle of the spool. That’s how little line I had left. Maybe 20 yards.

Well, that was enough line. Since I moved to the channel under an overpass for the t-rig fishing, I only needed to make 10 yard casts. In the course of the next hour, I caught 5 bass. Most were small but one was 2+ lbs. I also had several misses because the small bass only grabbed the bottom part of the worm, ran with it, but never got hooked. I only lost one larger bass to a jump and shake.

Pretty amazing (and funny) to me that over the course of the season, I lost 100 yards of line to snags and tangles.

Bob P

FryDog62

You make a good case for buying a cheap spool of mono… start off with half of it in the spring and put the second half on in July… gets you a year for $8.00 waytogo

bigcrappie
    Blaine

$5.99 on sale lol

You make a good case for buying a cheap spool of mono… start off with half of it in the spring and put the second half on in July… gets you a year for $8.00 waytogo

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

LOL…yeah. I had that situation often. I kept fishing to where the line loss kept reducing the spool capacity until I had that long cast where the line said nahuh, it’s down to the knot. That’s how I knew I got the full line use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.