Lookin for the big girls

• Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Heading to Alexandria area June 15th to the 19th and looking to catch some bass. we are staying on Ida and it looks like a good numbers lake based on tourney results with alot of 3 pounders, but i would like to know if there is any known “big fish” lakes in the area. I would like to take a half day or a day and sacrifice numbers for size, looking for those 4, 5, 6+ fish that minnesota has to offer. I have heard maybe Oscar or Lobster would be good lakes to try, any input would be appreciated.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There are some real big smallies in Ida itself. I know several friends who have caught several over 5. Also some nice largemouth. 6 Lb + fish are real rare almost anywhere in Minnesota

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

There are a couple metro area lakes that our club has caught several 6’s out of, but i agree they are rare.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

They shouldn’t be too hard to find… I imagine fish are still spawning. Like they said though, 6+ is tough. You should get on a plenty of 5’s though.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

I’ve never caught a 6 pound bass in Minnesota. Hopefully someday though. Lost a true tank smallie a few years back on pool 2 though

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Anybody know what the smallies relate to on Ida? There are plenty of obvious points and i noticed on my gps map alot of nice contours. Is there rock out there? Typically a deep bite or can you catch the brown ones shallow?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Anybody know what the smallies relate to on Ida? There are plenty of obvious points and i noticed on my gps map alot of nice contours. Is there rock out there? Typically a deep bite or can you catch the brown ones shallow?

I know a week ago they were being caught shallow. They were forced to spawn in non normal spawing area’s ( Black bottom bays ) The water temps we still rather cool and I think they had to try and get it done in the warmer dark bays. I am sure there will still be some spawning going on in the more normal areas with the slightly warmer temps this week.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

caught a 6# smallmouth on the MN/WI border waters two weeks ago, theyre here, just got to find them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.