Area Report

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Most area lakes have 8 inches of ice. Some lakes giving up panfish are: Hanging Kettle,Rabbit,Fleming,Blind and Minnewawa. Walleyes are biting on Big Sandy but they are smaller fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks like I will need to get up that way again soon. Have you heard any reports from gun lake. There used to be a couple of good spots on the west end and south west shore line that I liked to hit.
    Also looking forward to getting the fish house out on dam lake.
    Was thinking about heading up this weekend but with the nicer weather coming in I might have to hit the river again.
    Good luck fishing.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Gun is producing but once again the Crappies are running small this year.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I drove past Ripple today, wanted to see if there were any houses out on it yet. There was only one house just down Johnsons hill. Thought there would be more action then that? Cars are now driving on Pickerel just out of Aitkin on hyway 210……..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Was there any open water from the channel at the acces at Ripple? Does that fella on the south end have his “pay access” sign out yet?

Bob Carlson

Yes there was water in the channel, as there is most of the winter. The pay access on the hill may have been open, put did’nt check it out. Derek……ever fish walleye in Ripple?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Never done that Bob, only bulls and crappies.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

This past weekend my brother and I were rotating between Gladstone, Whipple, and Boomingout bay on Gull with only 8 crappies to show for it. Talked to the area warden on Gull and indicated that the panfish catchs were non existant. We spent a lot af time looking for crappies with the vexilar and aqua-veiw. We found the crappies in abundance on Gladstone, just couldn’t catch them, its frustrating seeing all the crappies on the aqua-view and not being able to catch’em.

Bob Carlson

I’ve been asking around a bit on the panfish bite in the Aitkin area and have not heard much action anywhere. They should start biting later on this winter?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Spent saturday afternoon on dam lake. Found the same thing. Crappies coming threw but very few takers. At least the northerns where on a tear. My six year old loves chasing flags.
    Heard that gun lake was putting out a few crappies the week before last on the east end community holes. Not much for size.
    On the plus side. Got to love that ice. No snow cover and plenty of good ice. With no snow cover do you guys think some of those crappies might still be hanging around the weeds?
    Looks like I might get to spend anouther weekend up there this weekend.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I am trying to see if I have this picture posting thing figured out. Here is a picture of a Tulibee I caught this winter on Round Lake near Garrison. This was the only fish for the whole day.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.