Quick Report from Minnewawa

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Minnewawa update from this past Saturday. It was cold on Saturday and it limited my moving around and staying mobile. I tried a few spots and never could locate a good area for Eyes or Crappies. I ended up going back to my first spot for the evening bite. I ended up catching 2 eyes there. I was set up on a sand/gravel drop. I had a tip up set in 11 fow and my portable only a few feet away set up in 16 feet. I ended up with a 23″ and 14.5″ eye both being taken on the bottom of the drop right at dark, using Go Devil from BFT tipped with a small fathead on a dead stick. That morning I had a few eyes come in only to be spooked by my Go Devil/ Fathead head jigging combo. Watching the fish’s reaction on camera that morning, all day and experiencing the cold front, I chose to go with a dead stick option come “go time”. No crappies were caught, however, a ton of 5-9″ perch were caught through out the day and like usual it was hard to keep off the small pike. I was lucky enough to watch these fish hit via underwater camera. It really helped my catch rate on the perch. I could catch these all day as fast as I could get my waxie and small glow jig down there. Even the Bigger Pike seemed sluggish. It seemed that the cold front had the fish (Bigger Pike, Crappie and Eyes) in a neutral to negative feeding pattern.

It was good to get back out on the lake. I have not fished that lake much the last few years. On the Northern arm of the lake, there was a good 12” of ice. I did not travel the narrows or the main basin at all. I’m guessing the main basin could have a little more ice. Not many Permanent Shacks on the lake as of yet, but I’m guessing that will change here in the next few weeks with this cold weather. It was -9 when I got on the lake Saturday morning.

I really think the “Reel Weeds” helped me hold the perch, in return helped bring in the pike. The small pike would hit my set ups, but the bigger pike would just sit and look at it. Note to self, do not us Reel Weeds if fishing for Pike or Eyes or at the very least move them farther away from the hole. Twice I got wrapped up in my “Reel Weeds” fighting fish. I lost one at night that probably was a decent eye. I had mine set up only a few (2) feet away. . But in all they seemed to help. I’m hoping to get back up there in the next few weeks to try the main basin humps and perhaps to do some snowmobiling. I’m still trying to break the 24″ walleye mark on that lake in the Winter. Maybe next time??

Good Luck and be Safe!!

palisade1kid

Nice report.
    We saw the same thing. most guy’s I checked with on BSL had nothing.
    I worked so many fish.
    I got to wonder who was working who.
    I managed to get us into a few.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Glad to know it was not only me, with slow eye and crappie fishing. I did not have any pics because my fishing partner thought it was too cold to go portable hopping. She might have been right. Thanks for the update Keith.

palisade1kid

I just talked with Tony.He said Sat. was tough on minnewawa,but Sunday was alot better for gill.
    He said he use a tiny ice spoon size 14hook & euro larva.

xrayman
    iowa

good they’ll be hungry this weekend!!!
    I’ll give a ring when we get up Keith

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.