Grindstone

• CroixNymph

I’m looking for some info on Grindstone lake, near Sandstone. Which apparently has some decent Laker fishing? How is the ice coming along? Any tips? Looking to head up in a week. Thanks for your help.

shayla

I haven’t been on Grindstone in a while, but my best guess is if there’s any ice at all it’s probably not good! Grindstone is famous for it’s late freeze-over and slush! Be careful, use a chisel to check the ice, and DON’T take your vehicle out there! The red barn on the NW corner is always a good starting point for early lakers. Look for the trough that comes out of deep water and points towards the barn…you probably know the one! Start drilling in about 75-80′ and you’ll find them. Hold on!!!

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i have been fishing grindstone for the last 5 years as a late winter lake, I have had very limited sucess searching for the big ones, however they are supposed to be in there. I have found some good starting points in all that water and I would be willing to get out there with someone else to search for the big ones, send me a pm and lets see what we can do, Mike
    ps remember that there is a lot of water in that lake and they could really be anywhere out there

jeremy2323

Ive also fished Grindstone in the past , we caught many rainbows, and smelt , i would like to try it for some lakers, if anyone is goin give me a Pm i would love to go …

Jeremy

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Yeah, MNfish is right about a lot of water to cover. It is over 160 feet deep and it drops fast in most shoreline areas. Be sure not to forget your electronics as they could be anywhere. My friends family has a cabin on the lake. You have to hoof it on this lake because of the springs and bad ice. There is trout in there however, it’s just finding them. I was up there this summer and saw a nice laker at the access. The red barn is a favorite area but also try the south end by the camp. Good luck and let us know how you did.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

now that would be fun, a big GTG out on grindstone after the walleye season is closed I will deffinatly be up there again this winter lets do it

shayla

I’d come out of ice-fishing retirement for that! I’d love to get into some of those big browns that are in there again. I’m so glad the public landing sucks so bad, otherwise if people knew what that lake had to offer it would be a zoo out there! Not many people realize there has been past state-record fish caught out of there by Carl Lundgren, both sturgeon and trout….off the same dock no less! Neat lake, let me know if a bunch of ya want to give it a try someday!

CroixNymph

Well it’s not going to happen for me this week, fortunately the croix has frozen up a little better, on my way out right now. But thanks for all the responses, been talking about going up there now for like 4 years. Sounds like it might be worth the trip. Good Luck

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I would say it is always worth the trip to grindstone as long as you take the time to find the fish

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i am hopeing to be heading up to grindstone sometime in the next 3 days, pm me if you want to try to meet up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.