Big Sandy for opener?

• mdokken
    Bloomington,Mn

I’m thinking of trying Big Sandy for opener. I’m not looking for secret spots, but what do I look for? Is this a good opening lake or does it improve later in the year? Do you fish this as a reservoir or as a lake? Thanks for any tips.

Mike

birddog
    Mn.

My bud used to own a cabin on one of the smaller connected lakes, can’t remember the name though…He has told me in the past that the fishing is better on his lake early in the year compared to the big lake. They would work the drop offs along weed edges and do well! They would also catch fish where the inlet opens to the big lake, weed edges again… No big fish though, most were smaller males. This was 5 or so years ago but, the fish should hold in the same areas. Good Luck.

BIRDDOG

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Did not see the post unitl now.

Big Sandy is a gorgeous lake with a ton of sturcture. Walleyes seem to hold relatively shallow in this lake with mongo structure. I never fish deeper than 20′ or so. Same tips as BirdDog. I tend to Lindy the first breaks and find fish on opener from about 4-11′ on sand and rock drops rigging leeches. Another great place to try on the NW side is below the dam. This can bre quite busy but great shore fishing.

Good luck and see my other post about Minnewawa if you head up inot the area. Let us know how you do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.