My Nephews First “Real Fish”

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I spent Saturday Night up at the cabin in McGregor on Big Sandy and as the Sun was starting to fall I knew it was going to be a picture perfect night. I told my brother Ray to grab Mitch (my Nephew), we were going to catch Mitch his first “real ” fish .

The plan was to troll the weed lines in 12-14 feet of water with Jointed Rapalas to try to catch some eyes and of course all those little toothies present. After checking out the first spot and seeing way to many boats and jet skis, I decided to head to spot # 2. Mitch was having a blast and we had not even started fishing yet . He was grinning ear to ear from driving the boat and changing the radio channels .

After getting to spot #2 Mitch took a look at the 9′ planer board rods we were using(left my trolling rods at home), he was about half the length of these rods. Mitch was going to catch his first real fish on “big boy” rods . After about 5 minutes the first rod started to jerk with some head shakes. Mitch grabbed the rod and reeled in his first fish. The “BIG” northern shown in the pic. Now both him and his Dad were grining ear to ear . I forgot the camera in the truck, so we put him in the livewell. Mitch wanted to go in and show Mom, but we talked him into needing to catch another fish so that the Northern had a “Best Buddy” to swim with. Not long after that my brothers rod starts to bend and we have our 2nd hook up. Mitch takes that rod and reels in his 2nd “big” fish. A 17″ walleye to boot! . Mitch ended up with another 13.5″ eye that was released and lost another decent fish at the boat.

This was the best day fishing this weekend for both myself, Mitch and his Dad! Mitch did a great job reeling in the fish, changing the radio stations, driving the boat and talking to the fish in the livewell. GREAT JOB MITCH!

I think there is another “Hooked” fisherman in the family! It was neat to see his enthusiasm grow with each second being out in the boat! I look forward to sharing some more fishing stories with Mitch in them! Until next time!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Thanks Rob,
    nice pic and great story, this post sure put a smile on my face

dave

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Great post LR! It’s so much fun to watch the kids in the boat. My two girls are very active driving, playing with the minnows or fish in the livewell. I’ve gotten them into some good panfish the last two years and cannot wait for them to land that first “real” fish. Thanks for all the great posts and info you’ve shared over the past several months.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Guys!

I hear you guys. Netting that 17″ walleye that Mitch pulled in was the highlight of my weekend. I caught a 26″ eye and netted to others 26″ plus, that fail to compare how I felt netting this one ! I think I was more excited than Mitch and his Dad put together and they were happy campers. Something about watching kids catching fish that get me excited!

I hear you Cougar, there are a ton of things for kids to check out and do on the boat, that they do not get to do/see normally!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

PRICELESS….

That is what LIFE is all about….GREAT JOB Mitch/Ripper.

We had a couple of personal best in the Youth angler division also.

What a weekend and week following the 4th of July.
    You can’t beat the weather or the Fireworks we had for the 4th.

Our best fishing was Tues and Weds after the 4th, spent most of the weekend “4th” pleasure boating if you call trying to dodge 5,000 Jet Ski’s and 10’000 boats pleasurable LOL.

It was great week I only made 2 mistakes all week one not enough sunscreen I currently look like a dried Tomato.. and 2 never start drinking YAG BOMP’s “Yagameister and Red Bull” at MIDNIGHT my heart was racing until 5:30 AM…NOT GOOD.

Way to Go Mitch…

9′ planer board Rods……

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

PB, Now that be funny! I hear you though, that red bull, keeps you rev’d up all night until the next day !

Glad to hear that you got into some fish on the Big S. I have not been up thre that often this year and have really been itching to hit the river below the dam, but I’m sure the water is way down right now. Have you been up there at all lately? What does the river look like below the dam ?

You go to love when the kids get into fish. The smile on their faces makes it all worth it! Thanks fo rht einfo and maybe some day I will run into you up there!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.