Memorial Day Weekend in McGregor

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Anyone heading up in this area this weekend? I will unfortunately be in Western SD

pavehawk
    Bloomington, MN

Hi All, First time poster, long time lurker.

We are going to be camping at Big Sandy this weekend. It will be my first time fishing these waters. Any suggestions on what to use/where to start?

Steve

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Welcome out of Lurker mode !

That is a great place to stay. I haven’t for about 6 years or so, but we used to spend about a half dozen weekends of the year there @ the Corp of Engineers camp on the NW Shore. Will you be fishing out of a boat?

If not depending on water flow, below the dam is suprisingly awesome shore action if the flow is right (high). As a kid I have limited out on some nice eyes below this dam from either side of the river. The rip rap shoreline is great when the water is high enough and there is back current along the shore.

Let me know where you are staying and I will try to point you in good fishing waters. What species are you after?

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Welcome Fish4fun!
    Never fished there! Beautiful lake!
    I’ll be up in the Grand Rapids Area!
    Good Luck!

pavehawk
    Bloomington, MN

Thanks for the quick response. We will be staying at the ACOE campground. I am bringing my boat and we are looking to catch a few Walleyes.

Steve

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

What side of the lake is that located????

pavehawk
    Bloomington, MN

ACOE=Army Corp of Engineers………..Sorry

Northwest corner.

Steve

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Duh ! My bad!

That is where I’m talking about. Right above the dam can be a great place depending on year, water temps, etc. The stretch on the eastern half above the dam is kind of a gravel flat that ranges from about 6-9′ deep, that I have boated a ton of walleyes on lindy’s and jigs dragging the bottom, letting the current pull you towards the dam on the Eastern side near the east shore. Never caught any huge ones her but up to 20″. I can remember a time we camped along the point and fished from shore at night with our campfire next to us. It was May 24-26 and we hammered them all night 15-18″ers.

Otherwise Fishermans bay has been good in the month of May. Look for the rock buoy and fish all around there with Minnows and Leeches. This is a good sandy, gravel and some rock in this big bay.

There is also an Island with a long string of rock/shallow water buoys right outside the mouth of fishermans bay. Fish the bottom of this extreme break Usually 12-15′ pulling live bait rigs (minnows/leeches).

Another spot is along the North shore (to the left when coming out on boat from the campground) down about a mile or so, ther eis a creek that comes into the lake. Depending on water temps but all around this area is a table top / plateua where it is rock and gets to 10′ deep and then a steep break that hits down to 22′ I would jig/slip bobber / troll the top of the break. Or jig down the break to the bottom (22′). At this point there is a rock/sand transisiton that can hold mid day eyes or later in June.

Below the dam can be a little busy on a weekend like this, but if you can get down there after dark, you should be almost by yourself and some big eyes. Just scope it out during the day!

I hope this gives you a starting point. Good Luck!

pavehawk
    Bloomington, MN

Excellent, I’ll give those few places a try. I’ll post my results next week.

Thanks for the Advice.

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.