Minnewawa / Big Sandy Opener

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Only 4 more Days !

Anyone been out chasing Crappies ? Any info on water temp there last weekend ? I think I will be hitting Banns Bar for a few cocktails once I get up there Friday about 10pm. Anyone in the neighborhood want to stop by and BS, you know where I will be! I might even be there agian on Saturday Night and perhaps the Pier 65. Good luck and see you on the water!

cbrune

Going up Friday AM. Gonna go out and try the crappies. Maybe I’ll see ya. Last Thursday the water was between 45 – 47 degrees. What temp have you found is good on the lake?
    Chad

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

It seems to me like around 55 degrees is when the crappies start to go. So it may be a week or 2 yet. I have not been there yet this year. My parents just came back last night after opening up the shack. It is all ready to go, except for the screen deck needs the roof put on. I do not think there will be many bugs out this weekend!

cbrune

How do think the walleye bite will be? You said you caught crappies in front of Bann’s. I found where the water is very shallow and sandy and goes back to 5 feet and then up to 3 feet. Did you catch the crappies in the 5 foot water or the shallow sandy water. Where do your parents have a cabin? I hope to meet you this weekend.
    Chad

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

So how did everyone do? I met Chad (cb7979) out on the water. Great time fishing next to you Chad! Anyone else want to share the bitter cold, wet rainy opener they had in the McGregor area? I will be posting a report later tonight on the weekend. Saturday we did find a decent # of eyes, with a nice piggie lost at boat side . Right now I will tell you if you did not find the eyes this weekend my tip would to be, look shallower 2-7′ in the mornings. The majority of our fish came 4′-8′ deep. The fish we did find on Saturday morning had the feed bags on. They were inhaling anything we presented them (minnows, leeches, crawlers). The fish we did keep and clean had 4 to 5″ perch in their bellies. So, I wouild imagine you could pull or cast cranks to these shallow waters and have a field day . I cleaned a18.25″ eye and it had 4 perch in it and absolutely attacked my crawler and red hook being dragged with a 6′ snell behind a slip weight. So I’m guessing they are trying to bulk up after the spawn.

Good luck and I will post a report as soon as I can get a pic or two downloaded from my buddy! I will not be able to make it up there the next few weeks ! Good Luck the next few weeks .

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Pic from Saturday Night. Chads boat is in the background!

cbrune

NICE!!!! LOOKS FUN!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.