Gun Lake

• dadshamp
    Elk River, Mn

Used to have a cabin on Gun Lake as a kid and used to catch big bluegills out there in the rice beds. Is the gill fishing any good there still? I would love to get my kids on some nice panfish this spring.

Thanks,

Jim

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I ice fished gun a few times this winter and only found small crappies and pan fish. Not sure it was just the areas we fished or what. Heard that rat lake can put out some larger pan fish from time to time.

dadshamp
    Elk River, Mn

The rice flats on he north side of the lake is where those big slabs spawn. We used to slide up in there in a canoe or small boat and you could see them all lying in about 8″ of water, fins sticking out of the water everywhere! Literally, we were catching them as fast as we could cast. Mind you this was 15 yrs ago. I remember my dad getting soooo mad because when we would walleye fish, we would catch big gills and he would say “those damn things are wasting our leeches!”…lol

Now, I have 4 kids and they are itching to get on some nice fish. My local lakes here in the Elk RIver/Zimmerman area have not been much help.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up and thanks for the great forums.

Jim

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Water clarity and increased fishing pressure has had an impact on the lake for several years. There are still some nice fish to be caught. But nothing like it use to be.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.