Lake Minnewawa info?

• ted-merdan

Headed up to Lake Minnewawa this weekend with my folks and the in-laws. Anyone have info on this lake for fishing in general. Never been there. Have two small kids that will want to have some action (panfish) and a brother-in-law who will also want action…

Any help would be appreciated and I will report back anything we learn…

ted

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Hey Ted!

I don’t and have not fished Minnewawa much at this time of year. Minnewawa is a great family lake. It is a fairly shallow lake with the deepest part being 21-22′. The lake is attached to Horseshoe Lake via shallow channel. Both Lakes hold awesome Panfish fishing. Large Crappies and Sunfish can be taken during the spawn and Winter months. Not sure where they would be hiding now .

Work the docks on South East side of the Lakes Northern Arm along the shoreline by the Famous 101 steps for LM Bass. The little my boat has fished over there this year 2 or 3 times we have pulled 5 over 4lbs. Flipping jigs and the worms with the hooks and weed gaurd already in them under and around the docks. Can you tell I don’t bass fish. There are plenty of small snakes to keep the kids busy. We usually catch these doing anything ie. casting, trolling, bobbers, etc. Look in the traditional spots.

Now if your looking for Walleyes, these still seem to be a mystery for me after May. I have personally seen a few really nice fish and seen proof of others. In June somebody pulled an absolute pig (11+) out of there that makes you wan to fish it more. It seems one of those come out of there every year. It seems the average size was puny 7-10 years back, but latley seems to be getting better. There are some classic weedy mid lake humps with deep adjacent water. There are a few with a nice sandy bottom where is transfers from about 15′ to 6′. I would tend to work these sandy drops. I also like to work the gravel/sand shoreline on the south side of the Northern arm along with the deepest water of the Northern arm right next to it.

If you got any other questions you can PM me. I tend to use leeches mainly rigging, but I have trolled and picked some nice eyes this year! GOOD LUCK and let me know how you do. I will be up there the weekend before Labor Day!

ted-merdan

Thanks for the info – will target the panfish and bass and attempt to avoid the pike but not always easy. May troll for some walleye as the 11#+ has me intrigued but only having Friday night to sunday afternoon doesn’t leave a lot of time…

Interesting to see what this cold front will do to things also…?

I will let you know how we do…

ted

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.