Aitkin Area Report

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Howdy,

Just spent the week on Spirit Lake south-east of Aitkin. The water is still pretty cool and the weeds aren’t up yet. The cabbage starts at about 5 feet and the junk weeds aren’t up so there’s a very well defined inside weedline, almost like you see in the fall. The Bass were using these areas and hitting a variety of presentations including Spinnerbaits, worms, and top waters. The secret was to slow down because the water was cool for this time of year. We caught fish up to 22 inches and had a ball.

The panfishing was a little strange too. During the day you’d see a ton of fish suspended out deep and nothing I threw at them got there attention. During the evening they’d head into the cabbage and bite aggressively. I even caught a few on a Bass Bug (fly fishing) with a 1/0 hook!

We spent some time on Farm Island. We found active Walleyes along the bar off the west end of the big island in 18 feet of water using leeches. The are a couple of humps between the two islands and we found Walleyes there too. Along with a lot of Rock bass.

One last note: I had a problem with my ouboard, and the guys at Hanson’s Outdoors were great about getting me back on the water. I was impressed with their knowledge and service. They’re on Highway 6 just west of Bennetville.

Keep your lines wet!

Rootski

Reed Moormeier
    Chaska, MN

Rootski,

Thanks for the update, I’m headed up Saturday for 10 days, mostly on Farm Island but will move around a little. Had the same luck as you on the Walleyes a week ago in FI only 15 feet was the depth then. I’ll get online up there and let you know what’s going on. Good tip about Hanson’s, drive buy them all the time and never been in there.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Big Fella,

Hope you knock the socks off them! We’ve been staying at White Wood resort on Spirit lake for years, and in all that time I’d never tried FI. Go figure. It’s a nice lake. I’m mainly a Bass guy, and enjoy the fishing on Clearwater, Cedar, and Hamel also. The Bass fishing was very good last week.

Good luck!

Rootski

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.