Big Sandy 5/31/13

• sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

Yes, it was the last weekend in May and the main water on Big Sandy has finally seen the high 50’s and a few 60’s in water temperature. Over the memorial holiday the river systems produced walleye after walleye for the visiting anglers. Of course that sent people headed back to the river system this weekend with big disappointment. The fish are moving back out to the main lake and it spreads the people out more.

I had a long time friend’s son come in from South Dakota on Thursday night so Friday was going to be our fishing day together. Our fishing time ended up being between 11am and 5pm. This is not unusual for Big Sandy due to the stained water. You really want that sunshine to add some flash to your spinners and lures. When I hit my first spot I noticed that there was a 5 Deg temp difference from one side of the point to the other. It only produced small pike and only on the warm side.

My second spot was the winner almost immediately. It was on the rough side of the lake which made boat control very difficult but was producing 4-7 walleyes per 150 yard pass. I kept the boat in 4-8 feet of water and we were using Lindy Rigs. Hammered copper and Chartreuse were the winners along with red hooks. We also varied between crawlers and leeches. I did spot many others pan fishing and jigging walleyes with minnows. The majority of the fish we caught were in the 12-14 inch range but we boated over 50 walleyes in this outing alone not including multiple northern, crappie and sunfish. Yes all in the same area.

It was a fun day to bring a father/son out for a well overdue fishing trip and can’t wait to bring them again! Enjoy a couple pics.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thats some good fishing.

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

Nice fish! Our group picked off a few walleyes Friday and Saturday on Big Sandy too. Biggest were in the 16-17 inch range. We also had a few of us fishing Minnewawa Saturday for pike. Hammered a lot of them! Biggest went 8 pounds even.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.