AIM Tournament on Pool 4 04/10/2022

• Gerty

Does anyone know the practice schedule they have to follow? Can they still practice on Saturday? Just curious if it would be even busier than the normal spring chaos over there on Saturday. Thanks!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I have some buddies who fish this series and I believe they can practice up to and including the day before the event.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

They’ll be out rest of this week. Lots of crappy weather until Saturday so it shouldn’t be any more busy than normal.
    Does anyone know where they all launch from so I can avoid the parade of trailers?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’m guessing they will have about 50 boats, so it will look like any other Spring day on the river.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Does anyone know where they all launch from so I can avoid the parade of trailers?

Morning boat checks are at Mr Sippi’s across from the back channel ramp. Boats can put in where ever they want. But I’d guess most will use back channel or Everts.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Now that Bay Point is open, if you get there early it should be a breeze. Once 10 am rolls around there will be tuna boats splashing and the delays associated with engines being slow to start.

The good thing is that the folks splashing the big boys is they seldom use the whole ramp and one side will still be open.

Jeff McClintock

Last I heard they were at low 70’s for boat count. That was a couple weeks ago.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The weather for a week has been crappy with high winds, rain, and snow. Saturday and Sunday look nice. Next week again looks rainy and seasonably cold. That will funnel 2 + weeks worth of anglers looking to fit in a Spring time outing during 2 days of good weather on a weekend AND a tournament. Look for a perfect storm leading to a record number of boats this weekend.

I’m not talking a measly couple hundred boats either…

Hard Pass for me.

ryan hunt

Have to be off the water Saturday at 7 p.m. Take off is Sunday from Mr Sippi at 7 a.m for flight 1 and 715 for flight 2.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

perfect storm leading to a record number of boats this weekend.

Just curious. How long have you been fishing pool 4?

-J.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The weather for a week has been crappy with high winds, rain, and snow. Saturday and Sunday look nice. Next week again looks rainy and seasonably cold. That will funnel 2 + weeks worth of anglers looking to fit in a Spring time outing during 2 days of good weather on a weekend AND a tournament. Look for a perfect storm leading to a record number of boats this weekend.

Hard Pass for me.

Bucky it’s not all doom and gloom. You said there would be 200-300 during the first 60 degree day in March…..I counted 130-140 from the drone shots. I’ll mingle but probably Friday or Sunday….or both?
    It’s the lines at launches that bother me more than anything.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Last I heard they were at low 70’s for boat count. That was a couple weeks ago.

Sounds about right and they check in at 7 so 70 boats should already be launching around 6. Baypoint and Colvill should be just fine. Saturday…..no thanks!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    perfect storm leading to a record number of boats this weekend.

Just curious. How long have you been fishing pool 4?

-J.

20 years, give or take

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Hard Pass for me.

Bucky it’s not all doom and gloom. You said there would be 200-300 during the first 60 degree day in March…..I counted 130-140 from the drone shots. I’ll mingle but probably Friday or Sunday….or both?
    It’s the lines at launches that bother me more than anything.

Agreed. I just don’t like people.

If you legitimately counted that many boats from images, I’d bet my estimate was in the wheelhouse considering 1 drone isn’t in every spot at once and has a very limited flight time compared to the span of an entire day.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

bucky, then you have to recall 200-250 boat tourneys were pretty common in the spring late 90’s early 2000’s. These 50-100 boat events these days are a non-issue.

-J.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

As much as I’d like to fish the river this weekend I can’t cause I’ll be in Oconto for a bit

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Saturday after we filled the box, we rode around to see just how many boats there were. There had to be at least 150 between the dam and lock. Then heading downstream, boats littered throughout, and I’d guess another 100 to 150 throughout the buoy line to about Point no Point. It was busy everywhere.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

We have to be off the water by I believe 5:30pm Saturday if I remember our rules right.

Its going to be a gong show though (76 boats). Mr. Sippi’s is where inspection (start at 5:30am) and takeoff is at (first flight 7am second flight 7:15am). Tournament director already did the right thing and told everyone to practice good sportsmanship on the water. Unfortunately I feel a few will disregard that when money is on the line but I feel we’re all pretty respectful of all anglers and try not to cause any problems.

I’ll be down there tomorrow morning bright and early and also Saturday and hopefully can put together a decent bag for Sunday’s tournament.

I honestly have no confidence with all the variables in place currently but who knows…. a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile lol.

If anyone see’s a black ZV21 with an orange and silver stripe and a power pole, say hi!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We have to be off the water by I believe 5:30pm Saturday if I remember our rules right.

Its going to be a gong show though (76 boats). Mr. Sippi’s is where inspection (start at 5:30am) and takeoff is at (first flight 7am second flight 7:15am). Tournament director already did the right thing and told everyone to practice good sportsmanship on the water. Unfortunately I feel a few will disregard that when money is on the line but I feel we’re all pretty respectful of all anglers and try not to cause any problems.

I’ll be down there tomorrow morning bright and early and also Saturday and hopefully can put together a decent bag for Sunday’s tournament.

I honestly have no confidence with all the variables in place currently but who knows…. a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile lol.

If anyone see’s a black ZV21 with an orange and silver stripe and a power pole, say hi!

Best of luck out there, and thank you for being an example of sportsmanship. I know 2 different people who will be in the competition and both rave about how well these AIM events are run and support the Catch, Photo, Release format.

I’m betting there are some real nice fish entered If someone finds a pattern for big fish Saturday afternoon with the sun and warming temps, I’d think it will hold for Sunday with similar conditions. The only consistency we’ve had in a week is consistently BAD conditions.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Popped my Pool 4 cherry yesterday. Water was 40 by the dam, and 37-38 everywhere else (south). Very humbling, popped a couple small walleye and a 13” perch and that was it. Marked a few fish on SI up in 14-16’, didn’t Hear of anyone lighting it up. Using 3/8oz jigs and wasn’t entirely confident that I was where I needed to be in current in 19-20’. Next time Ill rig up some Dubuque’s.

Red River and ND make me feel like a much better fisherman. Hats off to you guys who put big numbers topside down there.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

This spring there has been zero stability like Bucky pointed out. I usually take time off during the week but those have been the worst days it seems so I guess I will go back to work.
    May have to give it a try tomorrow? This will make at least 3-4 days of similar crappy conditions.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I sure hópe these guys can act like professional anglers unlike last year!! I wish there was a contact for turning the guys in that are totally poor sportsman.these tourney boats usually have a colored ribbon on the bow and stick out like a thumb, yes maybe a guy should stay home and not fight the crowd, but hea I am the scratcher!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Everts main dock is broke and closed for repairs per Stacy yesterday… doah

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Anybody hear how the day went? I didn’t see anything on book face. Do they post daily?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Anybody hear how the day went? I didn’t see anything on book face. Do they post daily?

The tournament is on Sunday.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

The tournament is on Sunday.

I thought it was a 2 day tournament……lots of pressure in a one day deal! at least the weather will cooperate

Jim

Ganderpike, definitely rig some Dubuques. After pitching blade baits on Wednesday, 4/6, we pulled Dubuques for about 90 minutes and put 4 in the box and released some unders and small saugers. Nothing over 19” but good action.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Ganderpike, definitely rig some Dubuques. After pitching blade baits on Wednesday, 4/6, we pulled Dubuques for about 90 minutes and put 4 in the box and released some unders and small saugers. Nothing over 19” but good action.

That’s funny right there! While I agree to that statement, I spent 5 hours dragging the 3 way rig last Friday and got nothing. Switched to throwing plastics and got on some aggressive eyes shallow. The river can really humble even the most experienced guys.
    I see a bunch of river all-stars on the list so it will be interesting for sure. I imagine as windy as it is, most guys will be 3 way rigging?

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

It was fun out there yesterday. My bite picked up after I heard they opened the dam.

Managed to squeak out 25th with 12.15lbs. Just needed an 18″ on the card to cash a check but oh well. I was going for points after a dismal pre fish.

Did manage to land a pre spawn whale. 27.25, not sure of the weight during the tourny yesterday. I was going to weigh it but figured I’d get her back in the water to let her go do her thing and continue fishing.

Attachments:
    1. Pool4-results.jpg

2. POOL4SLOB-scaled.jpg

MX1825

Nice fish Chris! Congrats!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.