Ae Flatheads line shy? Or tip too stiff?

• dairycat

Hi Guys, I need some opinions. I’ve been using the same three rods the last few weeks. Trying to figure things out. I bought a new combo and it is not getting any action. I’m wondering if it’s the rod action or the bright orange braid. Old rods are Ugly Stik catfish rods one with 30lb solar mono and the other is 80lb PP braid. My new rod is a Whisker Seeker heavy action with 80 lb orange braid. Out of the 15 or so flats I’ve caught only one on that rod… That was with j hook and clicker on- last week. This week no clicker and circles- zero fish. Line shy or Rod tip too stiff for circles? Flat heads ranged in size from upper twenty inchers to 43″. Thoughts… Thanks in advance
    Same leader line and hooks on all three.

EW6

My two cents is just bad luck/random or something else about the setup. I don’t think decent flats care one bit about line size/color especially after dark in a dirty river and surely not rod stiffness. They are the supreme predator and when they decide to eat doesn’t matter what terminal tackle or line is attached to it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ what EW6 said.

I recall times where only one rod holder caught fish for several nights.
    I would call that my unlucky rod. Guaranteed to catch fish then!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Tis the puzzles of Flatheads!
    Bait showing the classic signs of flathead bites? (Mushed and scales tearing away)
    Keep experimenting.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ll be divergent in the opinion but admit I have very little flathead experience. Other experience has proven to me that species can be line shy. Not all the time, but it happens.

Swap out the orange line and maybe see what happens if this persists.

dairycat

Thanks guys! So your saying I need some holy water for the new combo? Maybe some catfish slime🙂 Those Flatheads are something special, super fun to chase. I might be over thinking things… Alot of questions to answer, I really appreciate the tips. One more question, braid or mono.
    Thanks,
    Chad

dairycat

Matt I will try that. I’m going to try some 30lb mono. I’ve had the best luck so far with that line. Could be a coincidence, lots of things to try. But the season is getting shorter buy the day.

catmando
    wis

What BK said sometimes there’s a sweet spot that gets the hits. or bait, I had 3 store-bought suckers out one big redtail, you could tell even the suckers were moving, then the chub starts moving good, well which one gets bit the chub. DK.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I either use 40# big game solar (bright neon green)
    Or bright yellow braid (tug o war)

Good time of year to be using shad. Everything is keying on them right now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.