Advice on exhaust decibels 7.3 with 5 inch pipe.

• 1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Found a nice 3/4 ton 2002 ford 7.3 in great shape but its got 5inch pipe with no resonator or muffler. Can a 5 inch be quieted down to stock noise level? Its an extended cab long box. I just don’t like how loud these pipes are and the attention they bring. Hate to pass up on a truck I like.

Coletrain27

You could add a muffler to it and quiet it down. Not sure how it will sound compared to stock. Depends on the muffler you go with I suppose

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Put a stock muffler back on and get rid of the 5 inch pipe go back to stock size.
    Those 7.3s are great motors

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Definitely should be able to put on a decent muffler and quite things down, definitely don’t go back to full stock those 7.3 need to breathe!!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I’m thinking on lines of Bearcat89. I know the benefits of the five inch but the noise to me outways the bennefits to me. The problem is to replace the system is going to drop my offering price by 2 grand and these 7.3 trucks in very good shape are valued on the high end even with there know problems that can be costly. At this age of vehicle with any replacements done there is always going to be a spendy thing to work on. Still trying to find more about this vehicle. Just looking to see if the exhaust thing is a sticking point. I’ve driven many 7.3 in my day through there generations and I know what they can do stock wise.

Coletrain27

Why not just add a muffler and keep the benefit of having a bigger pipe and more flow?? It will be cheaper also compared to buying a whole new system. Just my .02

munchy
    NULL

I’d just add a muffler.

Speak with an experienced muffler shop and see what they recommend.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

From what the guy told me the muffler did nothing substantial to reduce the loudness. Research I’ve done adding a resonator and muffler takes to much length to fit. He has the 5 inch exiting out of the side in front of the rear wheel because 5 inch has not enough clearance over the axle.

catnip
    south metro

Look at what banks has to offer. Most of the other exhaust companies cater to the loud crowd. Banks would probably give you a choice.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Magnaflow usually has a quieter performance system than most companies. See what systems they make and just buy the muffler part.
    Stay away from Flowmaster most of their stuff pushes that LOUD is better!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.