Advice be great

• Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Ok guys do to lack of interest in the Outdoor Technology and Small Engines major at Southeast Technical I must look for a new major.Trouble is its hard to decide.Ive thought about sales and truck driving.My thoughts are if I went into sales it would give me the skills for selling fishing equipment.As most of you know I have a passion to professionally fish or guide.With that in mind I would half to sell my self to companies.Once I get sponsors I would half to sell those
    products.Or I could go into truck driving and hopefully be on the road in a year.
    Just wondering what your thoughts are.I am open to suggestions for any others to.Thanks a bunch and keep catching those new banana fish yay yay

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Well, a great way to kill passion for a hobby is to make it your job. That being said, why not something in computing? Guaranteed to make you decent money forever and if you can build a good reputation, you can contract your services out to corporations for 9 months of the year and then take whatever time off you want between contracts to fish, guide, etc.

If Debbie has taught us anything about you Gabe, you like da skirt types. You’d better have a backup plan in case that skirt turns into a mommy 3 or 4 times over and and ankles turn into cankles.

Have a backup plan. You don’t have to love your job, you just can’t hate it. My 2 pennies on the matter. Tech, tech tech!

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Back up plan right now is trucking go for sales then trucking

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

If you are planning to go over the road might as well throw the towel in on fishing a lot.

I would suggest getting into tool maker, machinist, design engineering. Tool maker for the fact it’s high demand and there just isn’t many youngsters coming out of school for it.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Ever thought about the military?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We are in dire need of tradesman, Carpenters, Plumbers, HVAC, Electricians. I also heard diesel mech’s are needed.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

No offense to anyone that trucks, but my bro-in-law has been bouncing around trucking gigs for 7-8 years, and most of those jobs sound awful.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Possibly a grammar major?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When I went to college, I picked a major that sounded good but after taking a few semesters of the classes, decided that wasn’t for me. I picked up the school catalog and started reading titles as well as classes required. I landed on Construction Management. There was such a wide direction with where I could go with the degree that I thought it would give me the freedom to choose what I like and I did. It has been very good to me.

FryDog62

I would suggest getting into tool maker, machinist, design engineering. Tool maker for the fact it’s high demand and there just isn’t many youngsters coming out of school for it.

X2. Take it from a 30 year headhunter… the advice above is sound. Get a tech degree in machining, CAD, engineering, etc… you’ll be in demand for the long-term foreseeable future !!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Did the college drop the degree? If so you are entitled your money back if that major was declared. There are a number of tech. schools that offer small engines and power sport tech.
    However, it sounds like you are just trying to find something to do rather than something you love… I would not waste my time on a degree that I did not truly want to do for the rest of my life. Changing your profession later in life is one thing but spending money to become something you are unsure of is another.

Make certain that whatever you choose sits well in your gut!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Go to university for 5 years, get a very broad, generic degree(business, marketing, political science, etc). After all, EVERYONE in America must go to college or your like real dumb or something.

Get an entry level job making 30k a year in a metro area and spend next 15 years paying off student loans at a snails pace, move sideways on the corporate ladder, reporting to a 50 year old manager who hasn’t had a promotion or change in their job requirements in the last 25 years. Call electrician/plumber to fix something in your crappy apartment and scoff at the $200 bill for 30 minutes of work and a $10 part.

Lay awake at night wondering why you didn’t get a tech degree or apprenticeship or something as a tradesmen.

The American Dream.

*Note, this is not my life and I know nothing about becoming a tradesmen. But I DO know a lot about young adults going to college and majoring in something that’s so broad and not in demand that it limits their career opportunities(unless they are really driven).

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Pluses and minuses to everything. There are a lot of 50 year old tradesmen that can’t stand up straight nor walk very good because knees are shot and backs are blown out. And there tends to be some ageism in those lines of work. Until public agencies quit providing pensions, that’s one of the few ways the current generation can realize a retirement.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Get a welding certification/degree, move to western North Dakota, live on the cheap and save for 10-15 years, then retire to devote all your time to your fishing career.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Read this and then re-read it so you understand I’m not ripping on you. grin

You are young, still a kid. This whole guiding thing is a great idea, but not realistic. Go to school or get a job. Work like a dog for 30 years and then look to your dreams. The best guides are teachers, patient, understanding and have only one goal…….to make sure the client has a good time. If you try and do that now you will need to make all the money you can. How can you do that with no experience? Get a career, work hard and get a place on the lake or river in your 50’s and then start guiding. Use any spare time now to fish, figure things out, learn how to run a business (thats what guiding is, a business) accumulate equipment. Work your way up to a good boat that you don’t owe a ton of money on. There is a old saying (us old guys know it) “don’t put the cart before the horse” this applies to you.

These expenses are headed your way in the next 5-7 years, better be ready to deal with them.

Newer vehicle and the payment that goes with it.
    Apartment or house and all associated bills.
    Girlfriend then wife. (will make the other payments seem cheap)
    Starting on retirement savings
    School payment
    Credit card payments (you WILL run up debt)

As you can clearly see (or you better be able to) life isn’t free or cheap. You better figure out how to make a very good living and THEN go about chasing your dreams. Goals are what you set, dreams are what you have.

Did you notice in the expenses above there was no boat payment?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Superdave – there are a lot of 50 year old tradesman that can still kick a young mans a–! and a lot of fat pencil pushers with carpal tunnel. No rip intended as I was a Construction Manager and still have quite a few buddies in it.
    IMHO you learn a trade, sharpen your skills when you’re young and then start your own biz.
    Plumbers $150 hour
    HVAC $100 hour
    Electricians $90 hour
    Carpenter $65 hour
    plus materials.
    That’s the going rate of trades I work with that own our own businesses.

X2 What Dutchboy is saying. However, no boat payment? That would make you a shore rotflol guide.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

ellpoutguy, no offense taken. I was merely trying to point out that there are pros & cons to most all career paths. Some of my friends that were in the trades started getting a lot less calls from the hall as they got older. Yes, some become contractors and make good money but they are a minority in my opinion.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

You can go to a truck driving school for a short period of time and get a CDL and get recruited by every fly by night company in the US. The US is at least 100,000 drivers short as I type this. They will make promices you can’t resist and they can never keep. $40,000 a year is average to start and $100.000 for an elite job. Take this advice and run with it kid……STAY AWAY FROM TRUCKING PERIOD. I have been in the business behind the wheel for 34 years and over 4 million miles and I can honestly tell you there is very few occupations you will be treated worse than trucking peroid!! Get a skilled trade job, start saving your money so you can get a nice truck to pull your 621 Ranger you will be fishing and running your guide business with, update your equipment regularly and enjoy life!!!

catmando
    wis

Here’s my take ,take a loan out, go to heavy equipment school. grader ,dozer ect. you will start on the bottom but get in the union,49ers or 139.Put in20to 25 then retire. you wont get rich, but if you work hard , you will make a good livin. DK

brad-o
    Mankato

Google mn state jobs. Look through the job listing salaries, locations, and what intrest you. You will not get rich but will retire well. Boilers or maintenance may be a good field for you. RNs make bank

mattgroff

One of the trades isn’t a bad idea. I’ve been doing hvac for 15 years. My family owns a company and we do just fine. Red wing has a great hvac class. Or become a plumber. 4 of my buddy’s are plumbers and by the time they all turned 25 they had a very nice house and a nice boat as well. Another buddy is a electrition and does well for himself also. We all have plenty of time for hunting and fishing.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Or you could start as a laborer for many types of construction that only works in the summer. Spend your winter’s working at Lake of the Woods so you can get an idea of how difficult it is to work in the service industry (that’s what guiding is, a service). If you enjoy your time at LOW for multiple full winters, you likely would enjoy it even more in the summer on your own. Heck if you work hard, and get your USCG license, one of the resorts may hire you to work thru the summer also!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Forget college, get 2-3 jobs, get some experience in different fields and figure out what interests you in real life, not a school brochure. You’ll be making good money just BC you’ll always be working, and it will help to develop the appreciation and work ethic needed to finally go to school 2-5 yrs down the road.

Nothing worse than dropping thousands on a school program that you might not finish, or have any need for in the major you eventually get into.

You don’t need an education to start in sales. There are hundreds and hundreds of free books out there on the subject. And half of sales isn’t selling at all, its just good communication. Hand gestures, eye contact, body language, diction, the list goes on and on. Again, books for each one of those areas. I know some very successful people, who went to college and some that didn’t and all are linked by their commitment to reading non-fiction that helps them grow mentally.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

You post “the career dilemma ” thread every month or so and get all kinds of feedback. Then surprisingly you’re gone from the thread, no “that sounds great” or that’s not for me.

I mentioned in the last thread that joining the Navy and becoming a diesel mechanic. You come out with experience and zero loans. It’s not unheard of to start at around the 80k range. Plus VA benefits (zero down home loan) and the life lessons you’ll learn.

Nothing comes easy Gabe

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

I knew who posted this before I opened the thread.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Get a trade! Go to 2 years of trade school and get a job. Or you can go to 6-8 years of college and get so far in debt it will take you 25 years to pay it off. Just my humble opinion.

My boys both got trades and are now making more than me at 24 years old and I have worked for the same company for 28 years.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Like computers? Enjoy problem solving? Like basic math? Like being creative? Prefer being overpaid? Like being able to browse fishing boards…a lot, while working? Like having most of your questions answered for you (stackoverflow.com)?

Then have I got a job for you! How about web developer.

It doesn’t require schooling, just motivation to be self taught. Wish I had figured it out before wasting a few semesters at school.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

USMC. You will gain direction in your life.

Dan
    Southeast MN

If you qualify you may want to look into some of this advice talk to a military recruiter. There are tons of jobs in the military and when choosing a job you can go one of two routes:

1. Select a job related to something you want to do as a civilian. This will give you background and training in that field but give you an advantage over others with comparable civilian training. For example, a civilian may put on their resume that they have a certification in xyz mechanics. The military vet, however, will put that they have certification in xyz mechanics AS WELL AS rifle marksmanship, patrol techniques, land navigation, first aid, etc.

2. Or you could select a different job in the military knowing that the military training, experience, and background put you a leg up anyway, plus get the money for college. There are plenty of jobs in the military that have no civilian equivalent, but resume bullets like armed combat patrols or guard duty at a secure military installation don’t look too bad as experience for any job.

Obviously I don’t know you but you seem like you might have the energy to pursue this. I’d recommend doing some research and then talking to a few recruiters. When I was still in the Guard they were offering the GI Bill and tuition reimbursement up to a certain percentage. I’m not saying that this is always the case, but I knew some people who were literally making money to go to school. At the very least it puts you in a career field where you’ll work with guys every day with much more college debt than you because of the college money it received.

If nothing else, most people that have been through basic training and then active duty or Guard/Reserve training come away with a bearing, discipline, and structured way of doing things that most people, including employers, look for.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.